News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Western Road Trip

Started by DesertDog, July 04, 2014, 07:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

Sorry guys, I need to pull my photos down.

hm insulators

Golly, it's been many years since I've seen the redwoods; my brother used to live in Crescent City.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

Quote from: DesertDog on July 04, 2014, 09:15:07 PMOdd fact about CA 211 around Fortuna; it was originally supposed to be the northern terminus of CA 1 when the highway was originally planned.

as of 2009, there was a 1 postmile paddle somewhere on 211.  it's Humboldt County postmile 75.12 at Salt River.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: DesertDog on July 04, 2014, 09:56:13 PMAs the elevation rises it's very apparent that summer hasn't hit this high up despite it being June.  Thankfully it's 50 F up at the Crater Rim (about 7,000/8,000 feet above sea level) so despite as insane as I look in shorts it's a very comfortable morning

what day were you there?  I was there the morning of the 22nd.  was out of the park by 6am after taking sunrise photos.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mefailenglish

Quote from: DesertDog on July 04, 2014, 09:56:13 PM
As the elevation rises it's very apparent that summer hasn't hit this high up despite it being June.  Thankfully it's 50 F up at the Crater Rim (about 7,000/8,000 feet above sea level) so despite as insane as I look in shorts it's a very comfortable morning.  Personally I prefer these parks in the off season, they always looked better covered in snow to me.
Couldn't agree more...this was mid-April:

mefailenglish

Quote from: DesertDog on July 08, 2014, 07:52:01 PM
Nice, how much of the west rim road was open back then? 

None of the rim roads were open.  You could get up to the Rim Village but that was it. 

CtrlAltDel

Ah, the Gaviota Tunnel, just outside my beloved Santa Barbara. Shame you missed the Channel Islands.
Quote from: DesertDog on July 04, 2014, 08:09:23 PM

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.