News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California State Route 29

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 04, 2020, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This past November I took a segment of CA 29 from Napa through Vallejo on my way home from Santa Rosa.  CA 29 is one of the original State Highways which was defined during 1934.  CA 29 originally was aligned on Legislative Routes; 74, 8, 49, and 89 between Vallejo north to Upper Lake.  CA 29 underwent a major alignment shift onto what had been Legislative Route 243 and CA 53 between Lower Lake to Middletown during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  The previous alignment of CA 29 through Cobb was reassigned as part of CA 175 during the 1964 Renumbering.  CA 29 eventually bypassed downtown Napa circa 1982 when it's former alignment was reassigned as CA 221.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/california-state-rotue-29.html

M3100

I've traveled the Napa - Calistoga segment but nothing north of there.  On a separate trip I traveled much of SR 20 and went through Upper Lake.  Evidently Clear Lake was once a vacation spot (maybe is still) but I had heard the water quality had declined.

TheStranger

Quote from: M3100 on July 04, 2020, 04:05:26 PM
I've traveled the Napa - Calistoga segment but nothing north of there.  On a separate trip I traveled much of SR 20 and went through Upper Lake.  Evidently Clear Lake was once a vacation spot (maybe is still) but I had heard the water quality had declined.

I actually drove up with friends to Clear Lake in early March and remember just how twisty the Calistoga-Middletown segment was!  I did want to try to get up old 29/current 175 but ended up not really having the time to do so.

Chris Sampang

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 04, 2020, 11:02:14 PM
Quote from: M3100 on July 04, 2020, 04:05:26 PM

I actually drove up with friends to Clear Lake in early March and remember just how twisty the Calistoga-Middletown segment was!  I did want to try to get up old 29/current 175 but ended up not really having the time to do so.

That portion of CA 175/old SSR 29 through Cobb is an example of an older DOH alignment that seems to wiggle between trees, especially in areas with extensive resort facilities.  While the portion of CA 29 from Calistoga to Middletown is indeed windy, it's no worse than any other mountain crossing; the CA 175 alignment Middletown-Lakeport adds narrowness to the mix as well.  For any regional commercial traffic, the CA 29 realignment, while adding mileage, relocated the "main drag" to more appropriate facilities. 

jdbx

Quote from: sparker on July 06, 2020, 02:48:46 AM
That portion of CA 175/old SSR 29 through Cobb is an example of an older DOH alignment that seems to wiggle between trees, especially in areas with extensive resort facilities.  While the portion of CA 29 from Calistoga to Middletown is indeed windy, it's no worse than any other mountain crossing; the CA 175 alignment Middletown-Lakeport adds narrowness to the mix as well.  For any regional commercial traffic, the CA 29 realignment, while adding mileage, relocated the "main drag" to more appropriate facilities. 

Back in the early 2000's, I made the mistake of following a "shortest-path" routing from the Bay Area up to Clear Lake State Park for a camping trip, which routed me off of 29 and onto 175 over Cobb, then back onto 29.  Not being familiar with the area or route, I didn't think much of it.  It was a mistake because I was driving a massive RV and towing a boat.  I learned after that to research my routes a bit more carefully, and nowadays with GSV its much easier to verify how hairy a route might be.

bing101

Interstate Kyle does a tour of CA-29.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.