Regional Boards > Northeast

Garden State Parkway

<< < (313/316) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2022, 07:32:48 AM ---Here is the thing. Your collecting tolls to pay off bonds.  Then add more money to the debt. 

Why not let the residents who live in the state decide? Put it on the ballot and let NJ vote on it?

--- End quote ---

The time for these questions to be raised was during the public comment period held a while back, which included many proposals including the elimination of cash payments. 

Ballot questions are for State questions, not authority and agency questions. 

--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2022, 09:16:29 AM ---Well Iím saying that in this matter it should be.  Itís the users who get inconvenienced.

--- End quote ---

Everyone cares about different things.  Why "in this matter"?  Why not every other matter?

While it's a large dollar amount here, the only ones that are affected are those that utilize the toll road.  It's not a tax that everyone in NJ has to pay, or a debt that all taxpayers need to be accountable for.

The Ghostbuster:
I like that the mile 124 service area is named after the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Bon Jovi. I wonder if they play nothing but Bon Jovi music at that service area? You can never listen to Livin' On A Prayer too many times IMHO.

DrSmith:
Going cashless reminded me of back when Donald DiFrancesco was governor for the final year or so of Gov Whitman's term and part of his plan to run for governor was around eliminating Parkway tolls. Here's an old press release on it. https://www.nj.gov/transportation/about/press/2001/080901.shtm

If I remember correctly, part of his idea was to not collect tolls on Memorial Day or one of the big summer holidays because of the congestion at the plazas and the overtime for collectors. The toll collectors said it's a work day with triple time or something for the holiday so we're working even if it is to stand there and wave people through. So the waiving of tolls for even a day didn't happen as it didn't make financial sense to pay the salaries without the revenue.

Now maybe AET on the parkway. At least on the parkway you can do it one barrier at a time as you don't have a whole ticket system you have to turn on all at once.

storm2k:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2022, 02:37:10 PM ---I like that the mile 124 service area is named after the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Bon Jovi. I wonder if they play nothing but Bon Jovi music at that service area? You can never listen to Livin' On A Prayer too many times IMHO.

--- End quote ---

They don't. It's just the name. Service Area is the exact same, other than they put some things up about famous New Jersyians. In fact, JBJ/Cheesquake is getting a bit long in the tooth, they haven't done any major changes to it since the late 80s/early 90s.

roadman65:

--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2022, 09:54:12 AM ---

--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2022, 09:16:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2022, 08:58:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2022, 07:32:48 AM ---Here is the thing. Your collecting tolls to pay off bonds.  Then add more money to the debt. 

Why not let the residents who live in the state decide? Put it on the ballot and let NJ vote on it?

--- End quote ---
Since when are public authorities accountable to the public?

--- End quote ---
Well Iím saying that in this matter it should be.  Itís the users who get inconvenienced.

--- End quote ---

Going cashless is a convenience.

--- End quote ---

Not to many. Many folks are weary of government forcing society to be automated. Just like phone trees. Poll the average persons and many want the old fashioned human being instead of press one for this and two for another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version