News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special K

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 27, 2012, 12:46:12 AM
This sign is supposed to say "Mather Field Rd," but omits the "Rd."

Erroneous use of EXIT ONLY plaque as well.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Special K on June 06, 2012, 10:43:04 AM

No it's not.  That's how California signs lane drops.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Special K

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 06, 2012, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: Special K on June 06, 2012, 10:43:04 AM

No it's not.  That's how California signs lane drops.

Genius.

formulanone

This should be a "F32" in this area of Michigan, since Mio is in the F-zone:

Bonus wrong-way concurrency!

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on June 07, 2012, 10:20:33 AM
This should be a "F32" in this area of Michigan, since Mio is in the F-zone:

Bonus wrong-way concurrency!

And since when does a County Route get top billing over not just one, but two state routes???

Duke87

I understand how it can exist, but on an instinctual level the idea of a county route having an overlap with a state route bothers me - it seems contradictory since it implies that the road is both state and county maintained.

Yeah, I know, class of signage and jurisdiction of maintenance don't always match...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

County highway signs tend to match the jurisdiction of maintenance for some reason.  I guess the counties don't usually view their routes a much more than a maintenance index even when signed.  Personally, I think it's quite odd to have routes end at city and village boundaries rather than major roads just because the city/village maintains the last segment.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mefailenglish

No Virginia, there is no US 798!

Ian

From last weekend. MD 70 actually ends at this intersection in Annapolis, but this sign suggest it continues on ahead.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Takumi

Quote from: mefailenglish on June 08, 2012, 08:49:16 PM
No Virginia, there is no US 798!
(798)

I've seen only three of those with the correct shield, and at least twice that many with the wrong one.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 08, 2012, 09:07:17 PM
From last weekend. MD 70 actually ends at this intersection in Annapolis, but this sign suggest it continues on ahead.

It actually doesn't end there, but about 250 feet beyond Compton Drive: http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2010_Anne%20Arundel.pdf (p. 66/237)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2012, 12:34:50 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 08, 2012, 09:07:17 PM

It actually doesn't end there, but about 250 feet beyond Compton Drive: http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2010_Anne%20Arundel.pdf (p. 66/237)
The state highway map was incorrect on this point, then.

Brandon

Ohio needs to learn to spell.

Ohio Welcome Center, I-70 Eastbound near Indiana.  Bienvenue a l'Ohio.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vtk

Quote from: Brandon on June 10, 2012, 09:24:27 PM
Ohio needs to learn to spell.

Ohio Welcome Center, I-70 Eastbound near Indiana.  Bienvenue a l'Ohio.

So we misspelled a French word, big deal. They never pronounce the last letter of a word, anyway.  Our city of Bellefontaine is pronounced bell-FOUNTain, so we don't exactly have a good track record with french anyway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kacie Jane

To be fair, it's more of a grammar error than a spelling error.  (Bienvenu is the correctly spelled masculine form, but in this context, it's supposed to be feminine.)

hbelkins

Sometimes, I hate myself for being so conscientious at doing my job.

Kentucky recently opened two new ramps at the interchange of the Mountain Parkway and KY 1057 in Powell County. This was built as a partial interchange but the two ramps were added to make it a full diamond interchange. New signage was installed. I had driven by the exit several times and nothing caught my eye.

Frankfort got an email last week from someone who had noticed that on the two new route markers, "Mountain" was misspelled  as "Mountian." Those messages are received by the Office of Public Affairs, which forwards them on to the district PIOs. So I got this one and as required, forwarded it to the engineer in charge of the sign crew. He said he would check the situation out.

So Friday when I am on my way to the Dayton meet, I notice two signposts with only directional banners on them and no Mountain (or "Mountian") Parkway markers. I curse myself the rest of the weekend for not noticing and getting pictures before the erroneous signs were removed.

On the way home today I got off at the exit and searched for any other erroneous markers that may have been installed along KY 1057. None. I also noticed that the error signage that listed "Clay County" instead of "Clay City" had also been taken down. At least I got a picture of it back a few months ago after a photo appeared in the local paper.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

On the subject of spelling/grammar issues, the Thruway has signs that say "Buffalo - An All-America City" (also for Syracuse too).  I did not know that Buffalo occupied the entirety of the US.

What's scary is that the village of St. Regis Falls erected similar signs on NY 458, making a small Adirondack village become all of america.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: deanej on June 11, 2012, 11:11:53 AM
On the subject of spelling/grammar issues, the Thruway has signs that say "Buffalo - An All-America City" (also for Syracuse too).  I did not know that Buffalo occupied the entirety of the US.

What's scary is that the village of St. Regis Falls erected similar signs on NY 458, making a small Adirondack village become all of america.

"All-America City" is an award given out, and IIRC, that is the title of the award.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 10, 2012, 11:45:56 PM
To be fair, it's more of a grammar error than a spelling error.  (Bienvenu is the correctly spelled masculine form, but in this context, it's supposed to be feminine.)

If you'll note, some helpful Louisianan or Quebecois fixed it for them.  :sombrero:

route56

Caught this cluster on US 59 in Garnett

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Quote from: route56 on June 11, 2012, 10:35:35 PM

I think that's residual from when US 59 was closed at the roundabout going north into downtown.

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on June 11, 2012, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: deanej on June 11, 2012, 11:11:53 AM

"All-America City" is an award given out, and IIRC, that is the title of the award.
It gets even stranger in that case.  Rochester doesn't have any signs for it despite winning the award twice, and according to Wikipedia, Syracuse never won the award despite having a sign.  Plus, why would the Thruway sign them if it's an award?  They don't like local signage!  I always assumed they were signed because they're major areas.

myosh_tino

I was in the area Monday and noticed that sign has been corrected.  The sign panel is the same size but it now reads...

Mather Field
Rd (arrow) [EXIT ONLY]

The exit number appears to be larger than the one in this photo so I suspect the entire sign was replaced rather than "greened" out.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

route56

Quote from: hbelkins on June 11, 2012, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: route56 on June 11, 2012, 10:35:35 PM

I think that's residual from when US 59 was closed at the roundabout going north into downtown.

Probably... You would think the contractor would be smart enough to, say, restore the signage to its previous condition....
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.