News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The secret highways of Arkansas

Started by bugo, May 05, 2014, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Arkansas has a bunch of unsigned routes.  Many of these routes are on college campuses and all of the streets on campus are the numbered route, so unsigned AR 883 could have many intersections with AR 883 because every street would be AR 883.  I don't get it either.   I did a lot of research and compiled a list using the Arkansas road log and the AHTD minutes.  Any error corrections are welcome.       

AR 600 - State Park roads all over the state (Every state park road that is maintained by AHTD is numbered 600)
AR 803 - Clarksville state police headquarters (decommissioned)
AR 805 - Warren state police headquarters
AR 806 - Forrest City state police headquarters
AR 809 - Arkansas State Capitol grounds in Little Rock
AR 810 - Arkansas Services Center at Jonesboro (decommissioned?)
AR 811 - Lon Mann Cotton Research Station
AR 813 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station in Independence County
AR 814 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station in Hempstead County
AR 815 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station Rice Branch
AR 817 - Experiment Station in Mississippi County
AR 818 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experimental Station (there are rumors that this is partially signed)
AR 819 - Joe Hogan Fish Hatchery road near Lonoke.  It is also known as Game and Fish Access Route 943.
AR 820 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experiment Station in Newport
AR 821 - Phillips County Community College in Helena
AR 823 - Southeast Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 824 - Pine Tree Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 825 - Governor's Mansion
AR 830 - AHTD headquarters across the state
AR 831 - Cummins Prison
AR 832 - Tucker Prison
AR 833 - Woman's Unit Prison
AR 834 - Dermott Unit Prison
AR 835 - Arkansas Training School for Girls at Alexander (probably decommissioned)
AR 839 - Arkansas State Fairgrounds
AR 840 - Southeast Arkansas Human Development Center in Warren
AR 841 - State Hospital drives
AR 846 - Game and Fish complex
AR 871 - University of Arkansas at Monticello
AR 872 - Arkansas Tech University
AR 873 - University of Arkansas and UALR
AR 874 - Henderson State University
AR 875 - Southern Arkansas University
AR 876 - University of Central Arkansas
AR 877 - Arkansas State University
AR 878 - UAPB
AR 879 - School for the Deaf and Blind
AR 881 - Huntsville state police headquarters
AR 883 - Arkansas State University at Beebe
AR 885 - School for the Blind and Deaf
AR 887 - Garland County Community College
AR 888 - Morrilton's community college
AR 889 - Arkansas State University at Searcy
AR 890 - Assigned to a large number of vo tech drives.  Many of these old vo tech schools became community colleges and the state still maintains the roads under the AR 890 designation
AR 917 - Marine Tax Road (This one is signed at least part of the time)
AR 926 - Marine Tax Road (This one is usually signed)
AR 949, 949-2, 949-3. and 949-4 - These four spurs of US 270 connect the highway to the south shore of the crystal clear Lake Ouachita are Marine Tax Roads and are fully signed.  As far as I know, these are the only three 4 digit highways in Arkansas
AR 959 - Lake Des Arc
AR 980 - This one is the one everybody knows about, and they are usually fully signed.  There are literally dozens of instances of Airport 980 all over the state.                                     

robbones

The road leading to Lake Fort Smith State Park is AR 400.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Road Hog

I can confirm that AR 818 is signed. At least it was three years ago.

US71

873 is not posted anywhere at UA Fayetteville. I have no recollection of it at UALR.

830 (AHTD HQ's) is also unposted to the best of my knowledge

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 05, 2014, 07:09:17 PM
Very well researched article

Thanks.  It took me several hours to compile this list.

bugo

Quote from: robbones on May 05, 2014, 06:38:51 PM

400 is shown on the state map so it's not a secret route, just an unsigned one.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2014, 03:50:42 AM
Quote from: robbones on May 05, 2014, 06:38:51 PM

400 is shown on the state map so it's not a secret route, just an unsigned one.

AHTD

Quote from: bugo on May 05, 2014, 01:11:28 PM
Arkansas has a bunch of unsigned routes.  Many of these routes are on college campuses and all of the streets on campus are the numbered route, so unsigned AR 883 could have many intersections with AR 883 because every street would be AR 883.  I don't get it either.   I did a lot of research and compiled a list using the Arkansas road log and the AHTD minutes.  Any error corrections are welcome.       

AR 600 - State Park roads all over the state (Every state park road that is maintained by AHTD is numbered 600)
AR 806 - Forrest city state police headquarters
AR 818 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experimental Station (there are rumors that this is partially signed)
AR 819 - Joe Hogan Fish Hatchery road near Lonoke.  It is also known as Game and Fish Access Route 943.
AR 823 - Southeast Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 824 - Pine Tree Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 831 - Cummins Prison
AR 832 - Tucker Prison
AR 835 - Arkansas Training School for Girls at Alexander (probably decommissioned)
AR 878 - UAPB
AR 890 - Assigned to a large number of vo tech drives.  Many of these old vo tech schools became community colleges and the state still maintains the roads under the AR 890 designation
AR 949, 949-2, 949-3. and 949-4 - These four spurs of US 270 connect the highway to the south shore of the crystal clear Lake Ouachita are Marine Tax Roads and are fully signed.  As far as I know, these are the only three 4 digit highways in Arkansas
AR 959 - Lake Des Arc
AR 980 - This one is the one everybody knows about, and they are usually fully signed.  There are literally dozens of instances of Airport 980 all over the state.                                   

From our System Information and Research Division:

AR 801 — Old State Police HQ/Forrest City (We keep this for R/W, there is no mileage associated with it)
AR 812   — Experiment Station — Fayetteville
AR 816 - Experiment Station — Clarkdale
AR — 842 — Health Center/Dept. of Corrections
AR 843 — Children Colony — Booneville
AR 856 — Mt. Nebo State Park
AR 880 — School for the Blind
AR 884 — SE Tech College — Pine Bluff
AR 886 — Human Development Center — Conway
AR 902 — Lake Wilson
AR 915 — Lake Over Cup
AR 922 — Lake Wallace
AR 933 -  White River
AR 935 — Lake Pine Bluff
AR 943 — Lonoke Fish Hatchery
AR 946 — Old Ferry Ramp
AR 947 — Luxora Chute

AR 803, AR 810, AR 820, AR 926 - No longer part of the Highway System

All 900 Routes are Game & Fish routes, most are Marine Fuel Tax routes and usually signed. There are no four digit routes on the system...the marine Fuel Tax signs show route and section...all routes are three digits.

All 800 routes are part of State-Owned or State managed areas

All 600 routes are State Parks (there are a couple that are signed as other route numbers)

All 980s are Airports

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bugo

By the way, AHTD, if you find any errors in my list feel free to correct them.  Also feel free to use this information in any way you so choose, including a possible future route log for the website.

M86

Quote from: bugo on May 05, 2014, 01:11:28 PM

AR 806 - Forrest city state police headquarters
AR 831 - Cummins Prison
AR 832 - Tucker Prison
AR 878 - UAPB
AR 959 - Lake Des Arc

No wonder our roads suck here.  Way too many miles.  And I've seen the Powerpoints from AHTD that say they have huge miles of road compared to other states.

Ummm, has AHTD ever thought about unloading some of these to counties/local municipalities?  This needs to be cleaned up.

Scott5114

Most of these appear to serve state-operated facilities, so there's an argument to be made that the serve the public interest.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 18, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
Most of these appear to serve state-operated facilities, so there's an argument to be made that the serve the public interest.

We also have lots of 1/2 mile segments that serve corporate interests, like the charcoal plant near Paris.

RBBrittain

I found a map of the UA-Fayetteville segments (Highway 873, Section 1):
http://fama.uark.edu/_resources/documents/institutional-drives.pdf
Any map for the UALR segments (Highway 873, Section 2)?  I'm hoping there's some way to stop the evil scheme between LR City Hall & UALR's chancellor to choke University Avenue to death (the widely-ignored 25 mph speed limit isn't working, so now they're talking about narrowing & closing lanes and building roundabouts).  Maybe the Highway Commission can designate University as an institutional drive so LR can't set the speed limit or build roundabouts?

AHTD

A three-lane roundabout at the intersection of U.S. 70/North University/Highway 5 as envisioned by authors of the study you are referencing is not likely to happen. Why?

Because the authors used 2011 ADT in their approach and did not take into consideration the 20-year planning horizon. The study is quite suggestive - it even suggests the authors don't have enough data to accurately predict if their "solutions" will work. Apparently another study is required.

Anything north of Asher Avenue is city street. But remember - a good portion of that section carries traffic from I-630 south into the UALR area.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 18, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
See also: Virginia, Utah, Obamistan.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

RBBrittain

Quote from: AHTD on September 02, 2014, 01:43:03 PM
A three-lane roundabout at the intersection of U.S. 70/North University/Highway 5 as envisioned by authors of the study you are referencing is not likely to happen. Why?

Because the authors used 2011 ADT in their approach and did not take into consideration the 20-year planning horizon. The study is quite suggestive - it even suggests the authors don't have enough data to accurately predict if their "solutions" will work. Apparently another study is required.

Anything north of Asher Avenue is city street. But remember - a good portion of that section carries traffic from I-630 south into the UALR area.
Good point. The problem is University is the only continuous north-south corridor between downtown and I-430, so impeding auto traffic there harms almost the entire city. (Not to mention the 25-mph speed limit is so widely ignored that it offers a false sense of security, and thus is likely MORE dangerous than 40 mph on the rest of city-owned University.) UALR needs to stop looking for excuses and build the University pedestrian overpass they should have built 30 years ago; blocking University (and Asher/Col. Glenn) traffic to improve pedestrian access is as impossible as King Canute ordering the tides back...

M86

Not sure if AHTD is still on here, but I went to the Lincoln Apple Festival today.  The US 62 signage (eastbound) onto I-49 is lacking. 

AR 170 is a state highway that is not needed.  AR 94 and AR 127 are more routes to decommission to save money.

And can we please fix the AR 12 routing? 

And can we get some consistency... Maybe?  Blargh. Hint, cosigning routes, hint, roadway lighting, hint, hint.

US71

Quote from: M86 on October 05, 2014, 05:06:07 AM
Not sure if AHTD is still on here, but I went to the Lincoln Apple Festival today.  The US 62 signage (eastbound) onto I-49 is lacking. 

AR 170 is a state highway that is not needed.  AR 94 and AR 127 are more routes to decommission to save money.

And can we get some consistency... Maybe?  Blargh. Hint, cosigning routes, hint, roadway lighting, hint, hint.

I'm guessing you mean 170 between Farmington & Prairie Grove?

Which 94? Which 127?

As far as 12, based on my research, it actually follows 71B to 8th Street, then north to US 62, east to Second, then south to Locust/ AR 12 East.  The I-49 signage may be to dissuade truckers from using 71B, though it really needs some signage on Hudson Rd.

bugo

Quote from: RBBrittain on October 05, 2014, 02:17:10 AM

Good point. The problem is University is the only continuous north-south corridor between downtown and I-430

University goes nowhere near downtown or I-430.

M86

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2014, 10:29:27 AM
Quote from: M86 on October 05, 2014, 05:06:07 AM

I'm guessing you mean 170 between Farmington & Prairie Grove?

Which 94? Which 127?

As far as 12, based on my research, it actually follows 71B to 8th Street, then north to US 62, east to Second, then south to Locust/ AR 12 East.  The I-49 signage may be to dissuade truckers from using 71B, though it really needs some signage on Hudson Rd.
There are so many state signed routes... I retract my issue with AR 94... They've cut it down in Rogers.  But I've driven (multiple times) AR 127 between AR 12 and AR 23 and there is just nothing.  I passed maybe 2 cars in that 8 mile trek.  This is an issue of an over-abundance of state roads.

And yes, AR 170, I didn't drive it though.  AR 12 is signed horribly in Rogers/Bentonville.  It's like I always say, what is the point of a signed route, if you can't sign it correctly.

Sorry, I think this post came out of the anger of sitting in traffic on I-49.  :)   and probably my mild OCD.

Road Hog

Quote from: bugo on October 05, 2014, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: RBBrittain on October 05, 2014, 02:17:10 AM

Good point. The problem is University is the only continuous north-south corridor between downtown and I-430

University goes nowhere near downtown or I-430.
He means University lies halfway between the two, not connecting them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.