News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways On Ferries

Started by ghYHZ, February 22, 2012, 12:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Over at the Fictional Highways Forum there are a couple of posts about ferries and whether or not some carry a route shield.

In Nova Scotia and New Brunswick there are numerous small ferries linking two sections of a through highway route but I've never seen a shield on the boat.

What about other provincial ferry systems......do they carry a shield?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And every time there's a fare increase on Marine Atlantic between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, there are cries that fares should be abolished altogether as the ferry service is constitutionally guaranteed and is really an extension of the Trans Canada Highway anyway. And if it's an extension of the TCH........Wonder if someday we'll see a crewmember mid-way across the Cabot Strait,  just flip a sign between NS TCH 105 and NL TCH 1.... but since the ferry service is federal maybe it will be just a TCH shield.  :D

aridawn

There is another one in Ontario, ON-33 (Loyalist Parkway, running from Quinte-West 2 (old ON-2) in Trenton, ON to Kingston 2 (old ON-2) in Kingston, ON. This HWY crosses the Bay of Quinte at Glenora, ON http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp-uFkWaQOrgX-_OYI5WTA2q8097w6kBVr9adJoaYplmGZtAUr This is the link to the pic of the ferry taken from Lake-on-the-Mountain Provincal Park.

Takumi

I know it's not in Canada, but there are no VA 31 shields on the Jamestown Ferry.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

All of Washington's ferries are state highways. None have a shield or are directly referred to by number. The state highway map actually shows the route number along the ferry route, though.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on February 22, 2012, 06:46:01 PM
I know it's not in Canada, but there are no VA 31 shields on the Jamestown Ferry.

But it does bridge the land sections of VA-31.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webfil

In Québec : No shields on any of the ferries that carry R-138 (Tadoussac―Baie-Sainte-Catherine and the lower north shore ferries). I can't think of any other signed highway that use a ferry.

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on February 22, 2012, 06:46:01 PM

Same is true of NC-12, the coastal road that uses the ferry system to connect from Cedar Island to Ocracoke and then again from the other end of Ocracoke Island to Hatteras. I don't recall the state map showing the route number along the ferry line either, although in the scheme of the entire state map they're both very small segments compared to the Marine Atlantic connections between Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

It's not in Canada either, but before the San Francisco Bay and Golden Gate bridges were built, ferries from the Hyde Street Pier in San Francisco carried US-40 from Berkeley and US-101 from Sausalito.
No route shields on the boats, but they were posted on the piers at both ends.

Alps

bugo

There used to be shields on some of Arkansas' former ferries.  AR 9 and US 62 come to mind.

Dr Frankenstein

King's Highway 6 has a ferry link between the Bruce Peninsula and the Manitoulin Islands. Don't know if it has any shields.

Dougtone

Quote from: aridawn on February 22, 2012, 06:30:03 PM
There is another one in Ontario, ON-33 (Loyalist Parkway, running from Quinte-West 2 (old ON-2) in Trenton, ON to Kingston 2 (old ON-2) in Kingston, ON. This HWY crosses the Bay of Quinte at Glenora, ON http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp-uFkWaQOrgX-_OYI5WTA2q8097w6kBVr9adJoaYplmGZtAUr This is the link to the pic of the ferry taken from Lake-on-the-Mountain Provincal Park.

I've taken this Glenora - Adolphustown Ferry before.  No route shields on the boat to my knowledge, but it's also a ferry that charges no fare.  Come to think of it, the other ferries I've been on; Portland, ME - Yarmouth, NS on the CAT when that was still operational, Long Island Sound ferries, Seattle - Bremerton ferry, etc.; none have had route shields on the ferry.

The closest I've seen to a route shield were "Welcome to New York" and "Welcome to Vermont" signs at the ferry slip for the temporary ferry that was put in place during the new Lake Champlain Bridge construction connecting NY 185 in Crown Point and VT 17 in Chimney Point.  The Welcome to NY sign included the NYSDOT logo, but no mention of a route shield.

aridawn

Quote from: Dougtone on February 26, 2012, 07:44:16 AM
Quote from: aridawn on February 22, 2012, 06:30:03 PM

I've taken this Glenora - Adolphustown Ferry before.  No route shields on the boat to my knowledge, but it's also a ferry that charges no fare.  Come to think of it, the other ferries I've been on; Portland, ME - Yarmouth, NS on the CAT when that was still operational, Long Island Sound ferries, Seattle - Bremerton ferry, etc.; none have had route shields on the ferry.

The closest I've seen to a route shield were "Welcome to New York" and "Welcome to Vermont" signs at the ferry slip for the temporary ferry that was put in place during the new Lake Champlain Bridge construction connecting NY 185 in Crown Point and VT 17 in Chimney Point.  The Welcome to NY sign included the NYSDOT logo, but no mention of a route shield.

You are correct, there is no shield on the ferry it self.  It is worth mentioning as it is owned and operated by MTO.

There is anther ferry in the area, The Wolfe Islander.  This is still owned and operated by MTO.  It is now the only ferry MTO runs with no HWY on the island.  There use to be a shield on the BGS at the Kingston Terminal.  This ferry was connected to HWY's 95 and 96 but was downloaded to Frontenac County and later to the Township of Frontenac Islands.  Also a ferry connects Howe Island and is owned by Frontenac County.  This ferry connects Cnty Rd 22 from the mainland to Howe Island.

1995hoo

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on February 26, 2012, 12:07:46 AM
King's Highway 6 has a ferry link between the Bruce Peninsula and the Manitoulin Islands. Don't know if it has any shields.

The Chi-Cheemaun. I rode that ferry in the southbound direction years ago, I think 1987, and I do not recall any shields anywhere, but it's been a long time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dmuzika

The Ferries that connect Vancouver Island to the Lower Mainland do not have route shields on them, nor do they have reassurance shields so the traveller must know which destination terminal to use.  BC seems to regard highways on Vancouver Island and the mainland as seperate legs.  For example, TCH 1 on Vancouver Island has its own exit numbers and the mainland exit numbers start at the Horeshoe Bay Ferry Terminal.  BC has three highways that travel on both an island and the mainland, TCH 1 & BC 17 on Vancouver Island as well as TCH 16 on the Queen Charlotte Islands - accordiing to the official Numbered Routes document, these highways are considered seperate entities that happen to share the same number, http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/planning/numbered_routes.htm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.