Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 03, 2012, 12:33:57 PM
Well, just so some of you get the idea, these tracks are north of Wagner Road and south of US 460.

The clearing is on both sides of the tracks, but wider on the north side.

I am wondering if this could be part of the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation's (DRPT) efforts to extend Amtrak service to Norfolk, Va.?  For as long as I can remember, the only Amtrak service to Hampton Roads has been to the Peninsula, in particular to Newport News.   There's been no train service on the south (east) side of the James River and the Hampton Roads.  See this page on the DRPT site for details.

My understanding is that trains headed south from Richmond (and then east) to Norfolk have to "make a left" at Petersburg (from CSX tracks onto NS tracks) to then (roughly) run parallel to U.S. 460 to ultimately reach downtown Norfolk.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Wagner Road is US 460...

This is almost certainly for Amtrak to Norfolk. The "Petersburg Collier Connection" is where the CSX A Line crosses the NS bypass around Petersburg, south of I-85 exit 65 (http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/studies/files/SHREngineering-Task1.pdf p. 15/42).
http://www.itoworld.com/map/15#fullscreen&lat=37.207&lon=-77.425&zoom=13
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Quote from: NE2 on October 03, 2012, 04:55:27 PM
Wagner Road is US 460...
To his credit, Petersburg did a terrible job with signage when 460 moved to Wagner and I-95, especially eastbound. Even some of the BGS's installed in the past year say mainline 460 is on County Drive.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Three recent Washington Post opinion pieces regarding highway and transit funding in Virginia:

A Letter to the Editor signed by the chairs of the Boards of Supervisors of three Northern Virginia counties: Where's the plan for Virginia's roads?

Editorial: Transportation bottleneck in the Old Dominion

And three Letters to the Editor responding to the above: Getting Virginia moving on transportation funds
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Survey asks Fairfax Co. residents how to fund roads

I don't live in the County of Fairfax, but there are some participants here that do, and might want to answer this.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Clash between Metro Washington authority and US Sectrans LaHood over tolls versus US $s for Dulles Rail

QuoteA major clash has erupted between the Dulles Toll Road operator Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) and US Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood. Writing on letterhead of the full board of directors of MWAA, one director Robert Clarke Brown accuses of LaHood of intervening illegally in the affairs of MWAA, vilifying it unfairly and distracting attention from the problems of financing $2.5 billion of the Dulles Rail construction with Toll Road debt.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 10, 2012, 08:25:06 AM

I don't live in the County of Fairfax, but there are some participants here that do, and might want to answer this.

Thanks for that link. It will not surprise you to hear that I provided them with some very lengthy answers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2012, 10:46:55 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 10, 2012, 08:25:06 AM

Thanks for that link. It will not surprise you to hear that I provided them with some very lengthy answers.

Great!

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: VDOT says more tolls may be coming

QuoteVirginia's 17.5-cents-a-gallon gas tax is a crucial source of transportation funding. But there's a problem with that says Virginia Department of Transportation's Greg Whirley, the commissioner of highways.

Quote"People are traveling more, but the revenue is trailing down. That's because cars are more fuel efficient," he says.

deathtopumpkins

Simple solution: Raise the gas tax!

Oh, wait, politics.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Mapmikey

It appears the CTB wants to change the criteria for turning a secondary road into a primary road.

I wonder if this is to make it easier because they -want- to make more primary routes...

The only mandatory criteria would be a primary route has to connect to an existing one...

This was on today's CTB workshop agenda
http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2012/oct/pres/Presentation_Agenda_Item_6_SecToPrimaryCTBCriteria.pdf

Mapmikey

Takumi

Old VA 44 immediately comes to mind with those criteria.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on October 17, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Old VA 44 immediately comes to mind with those criteria.

Norfolk-Virginia Beach Expressway?  Or an older Va. 44?

Takumi

The one that preceded it. It's now secondary route 711 in Chesterfield and Powhatan Counties, but it was decommissioned long before northern Chesterfield's population boom.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

There's a number of former primary routes and heavily traveled secondary routes that come to mind. SR 711 in Chesterfield and Powhatan Counties (old VA 44), SR 610 in Stafford County (old VA 213), SR 620 in Fairfax County, SR 653 and SR 604 in Chesterfield County, etc.

It should be noted that under the proposed standards, while the only truly mandatory standard is that a route must connect to another primary route, it must also meet a majority of the other standards, which have been modified from the previous ones.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 17, 2012, 07:04:08 PM
SR 653 and SR 604 in Chesterfield County
Agreed on 653, which would make a good extension of VA 147 down to US 360. The 604 section of Courthouse has somewhat less traffic, but trucks were recently banned from the section east of VA 288, so I see that unlikely to become primary.

It should be noted that under the proposed standards, while the only truly mandatory standard is that a route must connect to another primary route, it must also meet a majority of the other standards, which have been modified from the previous ones.
I wonder if they plan on changing any extant routes that don't meet the mandatory criterion. VA 321 and 322 could easily connect to other primaries, but a route like VA 345 would be in trouble if so.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

There's a number of former primary routes and heavily traveled secondary routes that come to mind. SR 711 in Chesterfield and Powhatan Counties (old VA 44), SR 610 in Stafford County (old VA 213), SR 620 in Fairfax County, SR 653 and SR 604 in Chesterfield County, etc.

610 in Stafford County and (most of) 620 in Fairfax County (but maybe not the western segment in Loudoun County) would clearly meet the "intersect primary system" requirement hands-down. 

Other candidates might  be 606 in western Fairfax and eastern Loudoun Counties; and 659 in Loudoun County (the extreme southern tip of 659 runs into Va. 234 in Prince William County).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on October 17, 2012, 05:56:45 PM
The one that preceded it. It's now secondary route 711 in Chesterfield and Powhatan Counties, but it was decommissioned long before northern Chesterfield's population boom.

Thanks.  I know Mapmikey has this documented on his excellent site (and I should have looked there before asking).

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on October 17, 2012, 09:56:24 PM
SR 653 and SR 604 in Chesterfield County
Agreed on 653, which would make a good extension of VA 147 down to US 360. The 604 section of Courthouse has somewhat less traffic, but trucks were recently banned from the section east of VA 288, so I see that unlikely to become primary.

According to VDOT's website, that part of SR 604 still has 18,000 AADT so VA 147 would still make sense down to VA 288.  SR 2099 could always be extended west of VA 10 if VA 147 ended at VA 288.

The one that has been on my mind is SR 644 in Fairfax County since the western end now connects to VA 286.  The very western end is the only part below 10,000 AADT though and the eastern end also has less traffic near SR 611.  However, SR 611 does have enough traffic between SR 644 and VA 241 to possibly allow for the extension to VA 241.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 18, 2012, 07:56:43 AM
The one that has been on my mind is SR 644 in Fairfax County since the western end now connects to VA 286.  The very western end is the only part below 10,000 AADT though and the eastern end also has less traffic near SR 611.  However, SR 611 does have enough traffic between SR 644 and VA 241 to possibly allow for the extension to VA 241.

Va. 644 (Old Keene Mill Road) in Fairfax County would be a good choice to "promote" to the primary system, as would that segment of 611 (which is probably seeing some increased traffic between 286 and 644 because of Fort Belvoir North Area, f/k/a Engineer Proving Grounds now having a huge contingent of workers there).

Takumi

I drove down to Jarratt and back today (breaking in new tires) and heading down I saw an oddly-placed interstate shield with what appeared to be two banners, on the ramp from Exit 24 onto the northbound mainline. Upon turning around, I took US 301 to Sussex SR 645 (which is Exit 24), and got onto I-95 there. Indeed, on the onramp there was an I-95 shield with two banner that said "End" and "Alternate" in a shade of yellow like the MUTCD-required Toll banner. It's a standard I-95 shield, but this didn't seem like a regular installation, and I've never seen a posted alternate route for an interstate, so I think it's related to the toll booth proposal.

Edit: I saw two more state-name shields on 645, but one removed from the mainline (last one left there is southbound past exit 31) brings the 1980s state-name shield total to 5.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

This may be leftover from when I-95 was being repaved?  I can't recall how far south the paving project went

The ALT interstate posting is not prevalent in Virginia.  I think I've only seen it one other time, with I-81 in Christiansburg to Roanoke area.

North Carolina, however, uses this much more frequently and for several years as I-95 was rehabbed from Rocky Mount to Virginia there were all kinds of 95 ALT postings.

Washington DC has had normal looking (i.e. blue color) I-395 ALT shields although I don't know if they are still up.  Pretty sure these are NOT related to any construction.

Mapmikey

NE2

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 21, 2012, 08:20:54 PM
Washington DC has had normal looking (i.e. blue color) I-395 ALT shields although I don't know if they are still up.  Pretty sure these are NOT related to any construction.
That's for hazmats around the tunnel.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.