News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Russellville, AR to Orlando, FL

Started by ChoralScholar, July 12, 2013, 11:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChoralScholar

This is my first roadtrip report.  Keep in mind I was on vacation, so be gentle.  :)

We just returned from our week-long expedition to Orlando.  I went through a bit of hand-wringing over which way to go, and I went through several scenarios and went with the one I had not experienced before.

On the way out, I followed I-40 into West Memphis, where I got on to I-55 south and went across the old bridge, as I am wont to do.  I picked up I-240 eastbound and got off at Lamar Avenue heading southeast toward Birmingham. (NOTE: I haven't been through here since 2009, so I've noticed some new development along Lamar, but I doubt that I-22 will ultimately enter the Memphis metro in this fashion, so it may be irrelevant).

Heading down US-78 across Mississippi, I saw no actual I-22 signage until I crossed the Alabama state line.  Alabama went crazy with it, placing full-size I-22 shields almost all the way.  I saw, by my count, three sets of the Blue Appalachian Regional Corridor X signage each direction.  One thing I noticed as well is that on the overpass road markings (the one that says Xxxxx Rd - Mile 93.6) Only have a blank interstate shield with no number.

On the way down I got off at the recommended exit for trucks at Graysville (Exit 85 signed US-78).  You can still continue on to the mandated exit (numbered 93) at Coalburg Rd.  More on that later.

I headed on down I-65 toward Montgomery, and got off at Exit 168 for US-82.  This part of Montgomery is looking ROUGH.  Abandoned buildings seem to almost outnumber occupied ones. 

I picked up US-231 south toward Dothan, which was a new road for me.  I was curious as to whether I would make good time, whether it was all 4-lanes and divided, etc.  With the exception of going through the towns of Troy, Ozark, and Dothan, the speed limits were 65, and never got below 45.  I seemed to be able to make good time through there.  US-231 in Dothan follows a cool little bypass circle around the west edge of town.  I'm sure at one time there wasn't a lot of business on the highway, but it is heavily commercialized now.  Even so, I didn't ever get hung up in traffic or stop lights.  One oddity I wanted to mention here - between Dothan and the Florida state line, I counted like 6 fruit stands.  I'm not sure why they are concentrated in that spot, but I digress.

US-231 meets US-90 and I-10 in Marianna, FL.  I traveled east, uneventfully, on I-10 until it met I-75 at Lake City.  Heading south on I-75 seemed very forested, like the regions of Alabama and Georgia surrounding the area.  Then, all of a sudden it seemed like the thick forestation ended and clearings with palm trees appeared.  All that was missing was a sign saying "You are now leaving the temperate forest biome" or some such.

Just south of Ocala, I entered the Florida Turnpike toward Orlando.  As expected, this is a gorgeous piece of road, complete with a full service plaza with fuel between the east and west bound lanes.

There's not much to report about the Orlando area highways, other than it took me a while to get my mind wrapped around the highway scheme.  I-4 running basically south to north through the area messed with my head a bit.

I took the same route coming back with the exception of getting off on I-65 exit 264 so I could get on I-22 at Coalburg road.  They are working on a widening project there, and I was detoured at the Coalburg Rd/Daniel Payne interchange.

One other note - trying to beat the traffic just a bit in the Memphis metro, I didn't travel all the way up Lamar Ave to I-240.  I turned west on Shelby Rd and went south of the Airport and accessed I-55 there.  One thing I noticed coming back this way is that it directs through traffic to Little Rock to take I-240 and ultimately take the I-40 bridge.  I'm sure this is because of the hairy-ness of staying on I-55 to cross the old bridge.  It would be a little tougher in a big rig than an auto - so the other way would be preferable.

So, there you have it.  I'm sure I suck at this - being my first trip report and all.  Thanks for reading.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

bugo

They should really route I-55 across the big M bridge and I-240 and renumber current I-55 as the US routes 61, 64, 70, and 79, or a 3 digit Interstate if you must.  Trucks should also be banned from the Memphis-Arkansas bridge.

ChoralScholar

Quote from: bugo on July 13, 2013, 12:04:42 AM
They should really route I-55 across the big M bridge and I-240 and renumber current I-55 as the US routes 61, 64,70, and 79, or a 3 digit Interstate if you must.  Trucks should also be banned from the Memphis-Arkansas bridge.

Agreed.  It's a mess.  Especially if you've never been through it before.

NE2

Florida's Turnpike: showing tourists that the state isn't all flat, since 1964.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ChoralScholar

Quote from: NE2 on July 13, 2013, 06:01:17 AM
Florida's Turnpike: showing tourists that the state isn't all flat, since 1964.

It sure was a magnificent piece of highway.  If I had it to do over again, I would stop at that service plaza, and put 20 dollars on a Sun Pass.  I got sick of getting cash.  Especially on the way out to KSC - there was five toll plazas between Orlando and Canaveral.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.