News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Exit Gores in Connecticut

Started by abqtraveler, February 09, 2016, 03:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 27, 2018, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 27, 2018, 11:19:20 AMThe irony is that, were the media sports reporters to refer to the current stadium in Foxborough as Schafer Stadium, they'd probably be fired.
In that particular case, Gillette Stadium was an entirely new facility that just happened to be adjacent to the old Shafer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium.  A more applicable example would've been the successor names to the old stadiums.
Point taken.  I've revised my post with a more relevant example (Great Woods, now Xfinity Center).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DJ Particle

Quote from: roadman on August 27, 2018, 11:19:20 AM
The problem is with the traffic reporters, and the media in general (especially the Boston Globe), who continue to have this delusion that the world will suddenly end in a great fireball should the Route 128 designation go away south of Peabody.  The irony is that, were the media entertainment reporters to refer to the current concert venue in Mansfield as Great Woods, they'd probably be fired.  And I'd wager that none of the people who insist on keeping the 128 designation south of Peabody (despite the BGSes, exit numbers, and mileposts now all reflecting I-95 and I-93) don't refer to their grocery store as First National or their telephone provider as New England Telephone.

This is my biggest pet peeve about MA traffic reports and reporters.

I'm looking at YOU, Kristen Eck!  :-D  (I constantly call her out on Twitter/FB for her calls of "Route 128")

Never mind that my brother, who still lives in Roxbury, tells me less and less people are calling 95/93 "128"...the media remains stubborn.

SectorZ

Quote from: DJ Particle on September 06, 2018, 06:04:09 AM
The problem is with the traffic reporters, and the media in general (especially the Boston Globe), who continue to have this delusion that the world will suddenly end in a great fireball should the Route 128 designation go away south of Peabody.  The irony is that, were the media entertainment reporters to refer to the current concert venue in Mansfield as Great Woods, they'd probably be fired.  And I'd wager that none of the people who insist on keeping the 128 designation south of Peabody (despite the BGSes, exit numbers, and mileposts now all reflecting I-95 and I-93) don't refer to their grocery store as First National or their telephone provider as New England Telephone.

I'm looking at YOU, Kristen Eck!  :-D  (I constantly call her out on Twitter/FB for her calls of "Route 128")

Never mind that my brother, who still lives in Roxbury, tells me less and less people are calling 95/93 "128"...the media remains stubborn.

Amazing what changes she can adapt to yet can't adapt to a route number change...

DJ Particle

Quote from: SectorZ on September 06, 2018, 08:14:28 AM
Amazing what changes she can adapt to yet can't adapt to a route number change...

I used to work with her at WXTK back in the '90s.  We still keep in touch  :)

AMLNet49

This is definitely true, Google calls it 95 and the signs say 95 so most young people call it 95. I don't think I've ever heard someone under the age of let's say 28 or 30 call it "128" .  But traffic reports are mainly listened to by older people so they will probably be the last ones to change

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 06, 2018, 09:34:29 AM

This is definitely true, Google calls it 95 and the signs say 95 so most young people call it 95. I don't think I've ever heard someone under the age of let's say 28 or 30 call it "128" .  But traffic reports are mainly listened to by older people so they will probably be the last ones to change

I still refer to the 95 portion as 128.  It's a combination of the fact that my dad used to go to meetings in Dedham and always said it was off of 128.  Secondly, it makes for more of a line of demarcation between more urban Boston and the suburbs.  To refer to it as 95 really doesn't make it much of a line because 95 extends outward from the half-circle, and 95 isn't much of a line of demarcation anywhere south of Canton or north of Peabody. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jon daly

Quote from: Duke87 on February 10, 2016, 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 10, 2016, 12:15:34 PM
Most people still refer to I-95 as the Connecticut Turnpike

Huh? Nobody calls it that. People in Connecticut refer to it as simply "95" or "I-95".

Concur. If someone said the CT Turnpike, I'd know what they mean, but I'm a roadgeek.

cl94

I very rarely hear of it being called the Connecticut Turnpike. Almost entirely people over the age of 50 at this point.

128 in Boston, however, is still relatively common even though it is decreasing with the current population growth. That remains mainly because it's an easy way to demarcate the inner/outer suburbs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

Only place I can think of where I-95 is still referred to as the Connecticut Turnpike is on BGS's coming off of I-287 East in Rye.  It's gone the way of calling JFK Idlewild.

Random thought: it drives me CRAZY when someone refers to the entire CT 15 parkway system as the Merritt, even all the way to Meriden.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Duke87

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 07, 2018, 01:38:12 PM
Only place I can think of where I-95 is still referred to as the Connecticut Turnpike is on BGS's coming off of I-287 East in Rye.

No. There is another.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Rothman

Quote from: Duke87 on September 07, 2018, 05:03:02 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 07, 2018, 01:38:12 PM
Only place I can think of where I-95 is still referred to as the Connecticut Turnpike is on BGS's coming off of I-287 East in Rye.

No. There is another.

Where is this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jon daly

roadman

Quote from: SectorZ on September 06, 2018, 08:14:28 AM

I believe the issue is not with the individual reporters per se, but with MetroTraffic/SmartRoutes management.  Apparently continuing to use the '128' reference is their official policy.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.