News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2021, 01:51:01 PM
Tell me how this makes any sense it cracks me up.

I was just driving southbound on M-47 at the speed limit which is 55 mph. I was in the right lane with absolutely nothing in the left lane and behind me is a row of cars in the same lane that I'm in I go to get over in the left lane to make a turn and the car that was behind me speeds up. Now keep in mind that this car all of them as a matter of fact behind me had every opportunity for about the past 2 miles to get into the left lane and pass me. So what is the reason that you speed up once I move over into the left lane?

I get that quite a bit, both rural and urban -- someone who's been behind me for umpteen miles speeds up and passes me after I change lanes.  I'm guessing they think their changing lanes will attract the attention of a cop.

Scott5114

Quote from: kenarmy on September 06, 2021, 07:03:00 PM
- Children will beg you for something literally everywhere. Like what do you want from Pull-A-Part? A muffler?

I used to ask my dad to bring home license plates from there. They didn't charge anything for them, so he would oblige if he saw any, though he said he usually didn't. Or maybe he just didn't want to take the time to unscrew old license plates from cars, I don't know.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 06, 2021, 11:11:10 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 06, 2021, 09:26:43 PM
I-75 is fine. It is what it is a very busy Interstate highway.
Tbh, it's fine for the most part, as one of the country's busiest interstate. I mostly make fun of it for having some part between the KY border and I-275 under construction for a majority of my lifetime, with many more phases in both projects (Mill Creek and Thru the Valley) to go.
Well that's how it is in Michigan in places too. Hasn't been like that all my life though. They started widening I-75 in Genesee County in 2002, they are just now finishing that project in Saginaw County. In Oakland County I-75 has been under construction for about the past 5-6 years.

One thing I don't like is how it goes from four lanes in each direction to two lanes in each direction at MM 164 when it should be at least three in each direction to the US-23 split outside of Standish at MM 188. I also don't like the four lane stretch in Genesee County between MM 111 and 115.

Flint1979

I found out that the new Portillo's in Sterling Heights dining room has finally opened. I saw this sign inside.

TheHighwayMan3561

Why does Chick-fil-A advertise so heavily during Saturday college football since fans can't go buy it on Sunday when they're now craving it?  :hmmm:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

As part of my internship, I was looking through the transcript of a 2-hour meeting on Zoom and summarizing it. However, being speech-to-text, it's not entirely accurate. (It's less accurate than new YouTube but way more accurate than old YouTube.)

DOTs became deities, multiple times.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kurumi

English might be the Microsoft of human languages.

It's messy and sprawling, and hard to learn because of all the weird stuff they can't change, and have to keep around, for backward compatibility. People who have been using it all their lives don't see any problem, and see no need to learn anything else. It benefits from network effects: there are alternatives, but if you want to work with businesses you'll still need to learn it, and it's so ingrained it would be difficult to supplant.

The funny thing is, learning in detail how other systems work helps you better understand how your own stuff works.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kurumi on September 19, 2021, 01:23:56 PM
English might be the Microsoft of human languages.

It's messy and sprawling, and hard to learn because of all the weird stuff they can't change, and have to keep around, for backward compatibility. People who have been using it all their lives don't see any problem, and see no need to learn anything else. It benefits from network effects: there are alternatives, but if you want to work with businesses you'll still need to learn it, and it's so ingrained it would be difficult to supplant.

The funny thing is, learning in detail how other systems work helps you better understand how your own stuff works.

this is quite the eye-opener, really.. very interesting, and accurate comparison, i think. what would be the linux of languages? like.. esperanto?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CoreySamson

There should be some sort of universal language for flashing your headlights. Perhaps this could be a start:

2 quick blinks: Go ahead
1 long flash: Thank you
4 quick blinks: Something's wrong with your car

The horn is too brusque sometimes for communication with other drivers.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

What's the proposed signal for "your brights are on", "your lights aren't on", or "cop ahead"? Those are the only I see communicated with headlights around here.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

I was sitting at an outdoor restaurant in a strip mall about two months ago, and someone was honking for about a minute. I believe it was actual Morse code, although I'm not familiar enough with it to understand what it was saying.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2021, 09:31:34 PM
What's the proposed signal for "your brights are on", "your lights aren't on", or "cop ahead"? Those are the only I see communicated with headlights around here.
Here they're also used to communicate "go ahead"

kenarmy

- Sure sharks are scary, but has the person driving you started coughing so hard they started choking and you just sit there because you don't know how to help and you think they might crash and you'll both die?
- What do they do with giraffes when they die??
- I heard "clusterfuck" outside of this forum for the first time Sunday.
- Um wtf there's a Canadian English too?
- Imagine having two continents and all the people in them named after you. How higher does the bar get?
- Do fish pee?
- I was just getting over the trauma from realizing dates look like giant cockroaches.. and then I clicked exactly on that post..
- If you blink, you blink.
- Why you ask for some, and you really want none?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

GaryV

SkyPesos

N-S US Routes are weirdly spaced. Between Cincinnati and St Louis, I go from 27 to 61, a difference of 34 in just a mere 300 miles.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2021, 11:31:35 PM
N-S US Routes are weirdly spaced. Between Cincinnati and St Louis, I go from 27 to 61, a difference of 34 in just a mere 300 miles.

More population density in the east meant more routes needed to be commissioned there vs. out west.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Awhile back when I had a big time CB radio in my car (I still have a base but don't have a mobile at the moment) I was able to drive in the parking lot of Green Acres Plaza which is a shopping plaza near my house and when I keyed my radio up I set every alarm in the plaza off so to be an ass I went down there at 3 in the morning and keyed up my radio and sure enough all the alarms went off. Then I just went riding around and the cops showed up I was laughing because there was no way they were going to be able to find out it was me that did it. Farmer Jack was open 24 hours so I could just say I was going to Farmer Jack.

JoePCool14

I believe the move format on AARoads is greatly underrated.
It adds such a level of flair to forum posts that is impossible to replicate otherwise.
Just seeing text move from one side of your screen to the other... absolutely riveting.
It makes you feel like you're driving on a super smooth highway like I-55 south of Chicago while reading it.
It makes the forum more fun, and more people need to embrace it, as well as some of the other great formats we get to enjoy here like shadow and glow.
Make AARoads Fun Again.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US 89

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 24, 2021, 10:49:09 AM

Congratulations, you just wasted a minute of my time making me wait for your post to scroll back across the screen so I could read the half I didn't see at first glance

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on September 24, 2021, 11:38:42 AM

Congratulations, you just wasted a minute of my time making me wait for your post to scroll back across the screen so I could read the half I didn't see at first glance

I'm on my laptop, and I had almost enough time to read the entire thing twice. But then again, I'm also a pretty fast reader.

SkyPesos

hotdogPi

Images can also scroll, but I don't want to spam this thread.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on September 24, 2021, 12:39:20 PM

I'm on my laptop, and I had almost enough time to read the entire thing twice. But then again, I'm also a pretty fast reader.
Same here. I don't think I could have read it on my phone though.

CtrlAltDel

You are more patient than me. I used the quote function and read that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

zachary_amaryllis

I believe the move format on AARoads is greatly underrated.
It adds such a level of flair to forum posts that is impossible to replicate otherwise.
Just seeing text move from one side of your screen to the other... absolutely riveting.
It makes you feel like you're driving on a super smooth highway like I-55 south of Chicago while reading it.
It makes the forum more fun, and more people need to embrace it, as well as some of the other great formats we get to enjoy here like shadow and glow.
Make AARoads Fun Again.

the 90's called. they want their html tag back.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.