News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

US 70 in California

Started by bugo, December 30, 2014, 04:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliforniaRoadologist

I have some photos of the intersection (aerials) from 1965 on my site - State Highway 71 - http://socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/sr-71/.

Yes, I have seen your site before, and I enjoyed it. That's where I learned about the remaining 1932 guardrail along the 71.

Alps

Roadologist: I'm very much enjoying your contributions. Just a friendly request, as a moderator, if you could post without the "12 point font" size tag. Thanks!

The High Plains Traveler

Well, that's interesting. Since I-10 occupied the pre-1964 LRN (173) for SR-26, that meant the state route would have been eliminated upon construction of the Santa Monica Freeway. So, it would not be illogical to extend the designation further east over the new Pomona Freeway. That raises the question of what the eastern terminus of SR-26 would be; would it have ended where U.S. 60 joined at Pomona, with U.S. 60 signed on the freeway to Riverside?

I wonder what current state sign route designations in California would be had the revision to the state statute that resulted in the great renumbering not occurred. I think that most U.S. routes still would have been truncated where they are concurrent with Interstates.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

TheStranger

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 07, 2015, 12:49:01 PM

I wonder what current state sign route designations in California would be had the revision to the state statute that resulted in the great renumbering not occurred. I think that most U.S. routes still would have been truncated where they are concurrent with Interstates.

The one that I've seen mentioned before is US 6 running down all of the Hollywood Freeway (the signage plans for that have been posted on here in the past) southward to get to the Four-Level, rather than the Golden State Freeway/Arroyo Seco Parkway routing that it remained on until the renumbering.
Chris Sampang

bugo

How did US 6 get to the Arroyo Seco Parkway from what I assume is modern I-5? Did westbound US 6 head that far east? Where did it end?

NE2

US 6 used modern I-5 to 110, but a move to 170/101 was planned.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

That's bizarre. Where did US 6 end when it was signed along the Arroyo Seco Parkway?

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: TheStranger on February 07, 2015, 05:43:29 PM

The one that I've seen mentioned before is US 6 running down all of the Hollywood Freeway (the signage plans for that have been posted on here in the past) southward to get to the Four-Level, rather than the Golden State Freeway/Arroyo Seco Parkway routing that it remained on until the renumbering.
1963 maps showed U.S. 6 re-routed off the Golden State onto the Hollywood. It was never actually posted that I know.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on February 07, 2015, 11:16:44 PM
That's bizarre. Where did US 6 end when it was signed along the Arroyo Seco Parkway?
There's a site that covers the endpoints of U.S. Highways. Perhaps you've heard of it?
http://usends.com/Focus/LongBeach/index.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sdmichael

The end wasn't going to change, just part of the routing. US 6 was planned, though never fully was implemented, to separate from US 99 at the present I-5/SR-170 interchange, run south along the 170 (would have been the US 6 freeway without State 170), thence onto the 101 to the Four Level Interchange, rejoining its older routing down the present 110 to Long Beach. This new routing was partially signed, though I have found no evidence of any signage changes beyond the signs posted on the south end of the 170.

sdmichael

Well, that's interesting. Since I-10 occupied the pre-1964 LRN (173) for SR-26, that meant the state route would have been eliminated upon construction of the Santa Monica Freeway. So, it would not be illogical to extend the designation further east over the new Pomona Freeway. That raises the question of what the eastern terminus of SR-26 would be; would it have ended where U.S. 60 joined at Pomona, with U.S. 60 signed on the freeway to Riverside?

State 26 did extend east through East Los Angeles, though Olympic Blvd, not along the future routing of the Pomona Freeway. Next trip I'll see what the plans show for the 60/710 interchange, perhaps they may shed some more light on this plan. I have a lot more to research there.

MarkF

Quote from: sdmichael on February 08, 2015, 01:21:04 AM

The end wasn't going to change, just part of the routing. US 6 was planned, though never fully was implemented, to separate from US 99 at the present I-5/SR-170 interchange, run south along the 170 (would have been the US 6 freeway without State 170), thence onto the 101 to the Four Level Interchange, rejoining its older routing down the present 110 to Long Beach. This new routing was partially signed, though I have found no evidence of any signage changes beyond the signs posted on the south end of the 170.

Here's a 1963 map showing US 6 on Lankershim, then onto the 101 Hollywood Freeway:

sdmichael

Quote from: MarkF on February 08, 2015, 02:13:28 AM

Here's a 1963 map showing US 6 on Lankershim, then onto the 101 Hollywood Freeway:

However, at this time, US 6 shields were posted on the south stub of the Hollywood Freeway Extension. I've found no evidence, other than the H.M. Gousha maps that showed US 6 making the full change.

mrsman

Quote from: NE2 on February 05, 2015, 07:55:51 PM
Quote from: JustDrive on February 05, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
Where would the approximate location be?  The 71/Holt/Valley/Fairplex intersection?
Exactly at Holt/Valley and Fairplex.

Great contributions NE2 and CA-Roadologist,

First pointt, it's interesting that the old signals had stop signs on them.  I guess after a certain hour at night the lights were turned off and then the stop signs were active.  No longer legal to do that, as the stop sign would conflict with a green signal.

Second point, correct me if I'm wrong about the modern equivalents to NE2's photo:

To the north, Fairplex Dr and Orange Grove avenue shooting off from it;
To the south, an old alignment for what is now the 71 freeway curving toward the Pomona Blvd interchange (US 60 towards Mission Blvd);
TO the east, Holt Avenue (US 99 US 70);
To the west, Valley Blvd (which was a very old alignment for US 99 - 70 - 60 towards L.A.)
To the northwest, back at the time the photo was taken was the 99-60-70 alignment to L.A. along Garvey Avenue.  Garvey Avenue is now on the right of way of the I-10 and 71 freeways between Covina and the west edge of Pomona.

Am I correct?

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: mrsman on February 08, 2015, 12:11:50 PM

First pointt, it's interesting that the old signals had stop signs on them.  I guess after a certain hour at night the lights were turned off and then the stop signs were active.  No longer legal to do that, as the stop sign would conflict with a green signal.

Am I correct?

California erected STOP signs at traffic lights routinely until about 1960. The green light was considered to override the stop sign. It was not, however, so the lights could be turned off at night; if desired, lights would go on flash at night. (I think the old Acmes in L.A. did go dark, but newer lights didn't.)  Instead, it was to provide control at the intersection in the event of a power outage.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on February 07, 2015, 11:26:59 PM
There's a site that covers the endpoints of U.S. Highways. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Never heard of it.

bugo

Quote from: bugo on February 08, 2015, 08:01:14 PM

Never heard of it.

Besides, there's no mention of US 6 following the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

sdmichael

Quote from: bugo on February 08, 2015, 08:30:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 08, 2015, 08:01:14 PM

Never heard of it.

Besides, there's no mention of US 6 following the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

US 6 followed the Arroyo Seco Parkway from San Fernando Road to the Four Level Interchange. South of there it followed the Harbor Freeway (and Figueroa St before).

CaliforniaRoadologist

Where would the approximate location be?  The 71/Holt/Valley/Fairplex intersection?

Second point, correct me if I'm wrong about the modern equivalents to NE2's photo:

To the south, an old alignment for what is now the 71 freeway curving toward the Pomona Blvd interchange (US 60 towards Mission Blvd);
To the west, Valley Blvd (which was a very old alignment for US 99 - 70 - 60 towards L.A.)
To the northwest, back at the time the photo was taken was the 99-60-70 alignment to L.A. along Garvey Avenue.  Garvey Avenue is now on the right of way of the I-10 and 71 freeways between Covina and the west edge of Pomona.

Am I correct?

Mrsman,

1. Re: your first point...I have never understood why the stop signs were still in place after the lights were installed. The only thing I can think of is when the traffic light went out, due to a malfunction, the would turn off completely because they didn't have a back up power source, then the stop signs would kick into place. Maybe an old DMV handbook from the 1940's would explain why. Years ago, many traffic lights would start blinking intermittently from 11 PM till maybe 6 AM in the morning because there was virtually no traffic out on the streets at that time. The main thoroughfare would get the flashing yellow light and the cross streets would get the red, unless they were also a busier thoroughfare, then all directions would get a flashing red light.

2. Re: second point...yes you are right about the modern equivalents to NE2's photo on all counts.

When that aerial was taken, Fairplex Ave was called Belleview Ave. Later, it was renamed Ganesha Blvd, and recently Fairplex.

I know that Valley Blvd was an old alignment of U.S. 60, but have never seen a map of it carrying U.S. 70-99 as well. Understand that the portion from the junction in the pic above and going up over Kellogg Hill had opened to traffic in 1933, so that has to be when U.S. 60 was routed there with U.S. 70-99, I'm assuming. U.S. 70 was extended from Indio to Los Angeles in 1934, and U.S. 99 was cosigned with U.S. 66 prior to being cosigned with 60 and 70. Some real research has to go into when these changes were made.

Fixed quote. --roadfro

KG909

Quote from: CaliforniaRoadologist on February 08, 2015, 09:17:43 PM

Am I correct?

Mrsman,

1. Re: your first point...I have never understood why the stop signs were still in place after the lights were installed. The only thing I can think of is when the traffic light went out, due to a malfunction, the would turn off completely because they didn't have a back up power source, then the stop signs would kick into place. Maybe an old DMV handbook from the 1940's would explain why. Years ago, many traffic lights would start blinking intermittently from 11 PM till maybe 6 AM in the morning because there was virtually no traffic out on the streets at that time. The main thoroughfare would get the flashing yellow light and the cross streets would get the red, unless they were also a busier thoroughfare, then all directions would get a flashing red light.

2. Re: second point...yes you are right about the modern equivalents to NE2's photo on all counts.

When that aerial was taken, Fairplex Ave was called Belleview Ave. Later, it was renamed Ganesha Blvd, and recently Fairplex.

I know that Valley Blvd was an old alignment of U.S. 60, but have never seen a map of it carrying U.S. 70-99 as well. Understand that the portion from the junction in the pic above and going up over Kellogg Hill had opened to traffic in 1933, so that has to be when U.S. 60 was routed there with U.S. 70-99, I'm assuming. U.S. 70 was extended from Indio to Los Angeles in 1934, and U.S. 99 was cosigned with U.S. 66 prior to being cosigned with 60 and 70. Some real research has to go into when these changes were made.
Valley Blvd in the IE carried 70-99

Fixed quote. --roadfro
~Fuccboi

andy3175

Mark, do you have a continuation of this map to the north to show US 6 connecting up with US 99? Until now, I've never seen a map that showed US 6 on Lankershim (even though it may or may not have been signed).
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

MarkF

Quote from: andy3175 on February 08, 2015, 09:24:39 PM

Mark, do you have a continuation of this map to the north to show US 6 connecting up with US 99? Until now, I've never seen a map that showed US 6 on Lankershim (even though it may or may not have been signed).

That is the top of that map, a Standard Oil street map of Los Angeles.  Here is the overall L.A. area map showing US 6 coming off at Lankershim:

I have a 1964 Long Beach map with the same overall LA map, but with the old numbers in grey.

mrsman

Interesting that in the above map, US 99 is on the Golden State Freeway corridor coming in from Newhall, goes to SF Rd between Sylmar and Sun Valley and then resumes the freeway corrdior all the way to Downtown LA.

I guess signage must have been in constant flux during the golden era of freeway building in So Cal.

sdmichael

Quote from: mrsman on February 12, 2015, 08:38:59 PM
Interesting that in the above map, US 99 is on the Golden State Freeway corridor coming in from Newhall, goes to SF Rd between Sylmar and Sun Valley and then resumes the freeway corrdior all the way to Downtown LA.

I guess signage must have been in constant flux during the golden era of freeway building in So Cal.

That map does have errors. US 99 was signed on the Golden State Freeway until its final removal in 1968. I have photos to prove it on my http://www.socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/i-5/ I-5 page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.