Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 2/Glendale Freeway

(1/4) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
This past December I drove much of CA 2 on the Glendale Freeway while visiting the Los Angeles Area.  The Glendale Freeway in it's present configuration opened in segments between 1955 through 1978.  During the 1960s the Glendale Freeway was planned to reach the Hollywood Freeway but the plans were ultimately cancelled during the 1970s.  While the connector between the Golden State Freeway and Hollywood Freeway ultimately was cancelled I've still found in my own travels that CA 2 on the Glendale Freeway is kind of a decent back door to get close to downtown Los Angeles.  The Glendale Freeway south of the Foothill Freeway does include a pretty nice vista of downtown Los Angeles as it snakes through the San Rafael Hills.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/02/california-state-route-2-on-glendale.html

nexus73:
Sssh, don't tell anyone about the Glendale Freeway or it will wind up swamped with traffic! 

There was a time when most Southland freeways were drivable....

Rick

Concrete Bob:
When I lived in Glendale back between January 1989 and March 1990, I used to take my old 1979 Mazda RX-7 for 80 MPH drives under the 134 ramps on up to the 210 regularly.  I also loved heading south on the 2 from the CHIPS point near 210 and seeing downtown Los Angeles peer out from the hills from my windshield.  That freeway is a total treasure !!  It's too bad it was never finished to at least the 101 in Hollywood. It would have been a blast to drive to Santa Monica.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Concrete Bob on February 08, 2020, 06:51:35 PM ---When I lived in Glendale back between January 1989 and March 1990, I used to take my old 1979 Mazda RX-7 for 80 MPH drives under the 134 ramps on up to the 210 regularly.  I also loved heading south on the 2 from the CHIPS point near 210 and seeing downtown Los Angeles peer out from the hills from my windshield.  That freeway is a total treasure !!  It's too bad it was never finished to at least the 101 in Hollywood. It would have been a blast to drive to Santa Monica.

--- End quote ---

That lack of connectivity to the Hollywood Freeway coupled with the unintuitive alignment for most commuters probably are the biggest factors keeping the Glendale Freeway relatively quiet.  Coupled with I-210 East from I-5 makes for some really scenic freeway driving. 

sparker:
The connecting bus from LAUPT (Union Station) to Bakersfield for passengers on Amtrak California's San Joaquin service from Bakersfield to Oakland or Sacramento always uses the Glendale/CA 2 freeway up to I-210 and then west back to I-5 in Sylmar to avoid the frequent backups on I-5 from Glendale up through the Valley; the extra 6 miles or so are calculated into the bus schedule.  I've done this twice northbound only -- but conversing with the driver after reaching Bakersfield it seems that the I-210/CA 2 route is utilized southbound as well.  Considering that CA 2 doesn't generally see a lot of congestion except for truly peak commute times -- and the section of I-210 west of there has similar traffic patterns, this seems like a great way to maintain a reasonably tight schedule. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version