News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Red M&M's in the '70s

Started by bandit957, March 10, 2021, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Everyone insists - insists, I tell you! - that there were no red M&M's in the 1970s. I remember around 1990, one of the biggest news stories was the addition of red M&M's. But I know for a fact they had them in the '70s, just not the '80s. I remember visiting relatives in Philadelphia when I was going on 3, back in 1976, and they had a plate of M&M's that included red M&M's. For years after that, I thought it was weird that you never saw red M&M's anymore until about 1990.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

For those worried about red dye #2 at the time: couldn't people just check the ingredients label?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US 89

Dirt Roads

And some kids didn't see them before 1976 either.  My little sister was allergic to red dye, and my mom always pulled out the red M&Ms and gave them to the rest of us.  To this day, my sister thinks that she was only allergic to "Sweet Tarts".

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't there some sort of nation wide mail-in poll in the 1990s that resulted in blue being added?  I vaguely recall voting for purple to be contrarian to my friends. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2021, 09:39:22 AM
Wasn't there some sort of nation wide mail-in poll in the 1990s that resulted in blue being added?  I vaguely recall voting for purple to be contrarian to my friends. 

And that was your introduction to third-party politics.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Yes, it replaced tan.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

I remember buying into that ad campaign completely as a kid and was totally stoked when I could finally rip open a bag and have some blue M&M's tumble out.  Never mind that they all taste the same, THERE'S A NEW COLOR!! :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Do green M&Ms still make you horny?  :-D That was the big joke when I was a teenager.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

^^ Green and brown M&M characters are portrayed as female.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 01:58:55 PM
Do green M&Ms still make you horny?  :-D That was the big joke when I was a teenager.

That was always the Green Skittle when I was a kid.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2021, 02:16:56 PM

In my day, this joke was about people who wore green on Thursdays.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on March 10, 2021, 04:40:21 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 10, 2021, 02:16:56 PM

In my day, this joke was about people who wore green on Thursdays.

I seem to recall this recently being debated amongst co-workers when the Green Apple Skittle became a thing.  Where is the implied causality between sex drive and the color green in candy?  The leap logic is beyond far fetched in my mind even for a teenager. 

hbelkins

Anyone remember the clause that there could be no brown M&Ms in the candy bowl in Van Halen's dressing room? That was always portrayed as a quirk of David Lee Roth's but it turned out there was a method to the seeming madness. The thought was that if the venue would overlook that portion of the contract, they might overlook other, more important, clauses. It was a test for how well the venue followed directions.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ClassicHasClass

I remember reading about that. Seemed like a clever way to screen out the less fastidious venues.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.