News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Surrender your man card here

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

*  I recently finished reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter.  Totally a chick book.  And I liked it.

Oh, hey, look:  when I went to grab that link, I noticed that the book has been adapted as a TV movie on ... which network?  Très à propos!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

*  I drink hot tea.  Every day.  Multiple times per day.  In fact, I keep a collection of various kinds of loose-leaf tea at the office.

*  I don't like whiskey.  But I'll take a cosmopolitan or a mojito any day.

*  I wear gloves when doing most manual labor tasks–even mowing the lawn.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

I like musicals, and one of my favorites is The Greatest Showman.
I'd rather own a cat than a dog. (To be honest, I LIKE dogs more, but the care/time quotient is much higher.)
I cry at movies at a higher rate than most men I'm sure.
I don't each very much red meat.
Gymnastics is/are one of my favorite Olympic events to watch.
I'm really good at wrapping presents and normally add ribbon and such.
I'll see any Disney/Pixar movie when it comes out.
I haven't seen the Godfather movies or Scarface straight through.
I know how to cross stitch and can do it pretty well.
I'm also handy with a sewing machine (but I use it to make my own outdoor equipment, so I suppose that's slightly more "manly").
I'd much rather listen to Bonnie Tyler or Heart than most of the male hair bands of the era.

Chris

CNGL-Leudimin

Another vote for cats.

I used to sweep the house. But now I own a Roomba, so it does the job for me :sombrero:. I also get the laundry out when needed.

And while I have yet to grill out, I think I would be good at it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

*  I don't think The Princess Bride was a good movie.  Honestly, I found it to be excruciatingly dull.

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 04:14:03 PM

Really, those are some of the best movies being produced nowadays.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

- I'm not into trucks and only recently warming up to SUVs.

- I prefer champagne to other alcoholic drinks (most other alcoholic drinks turns me red).

- I'm starting to enjoy having a salad (gotta cut back on the cholesterol and triglycerides).

- I've caught myself listening to XM's Studio 54 a few times and enjoying it.

- I made it through four seasons of Downton Abbey with my wife; the actors were actually pretty good. (Didn't see the final season because it had to be returned to the library while I was gone.)

TheHighwayMan3561

I like Japanese city pop, and some anime as well.
I can't change a tire or oil.
I hate yardwork and have no interest in it; I have better things to do with my weekend than mow or install fence/deck shit.
I prefer fruity alcoholic beverages.
I prefer women's scents to men's when it comes to body care.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

We don't own a pet (although the same feral cat has been coming to our deck for seven years now to be fed), but based on my experiences visiting relatives who do have pets, I agree with the people who prefer cats to dogs, especially large dogs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

*  When I'm camping, I have no interest in making a campfire.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

At the moment I have three small dogs.  All three would only make up about 50% of the mass of my last large dog. 

Big John

I don't know how to drive a stick
I have never used a manual shaver.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 04:32:09 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 04:14:03 PM

Really, those are some of the best movies being produced nowadays.

I'd much rather watch those than most other movies, too. I've had my fill of incredulous action movies, jealous affair flicks, solve-everything-with-guns flicks, and sappy courtroom dramas.

(Of course, it helps if the kids want to watch them as well.)

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on July 21, 2021, 05:25:07 PM
I have never used a manual shaver.

In contrast, this is what I shave with:

Male pronouns, please.

dlsterner

I'm a cat person; dogs make me skittish.  (I was told that when I was little, I was once spooked by a dog twice my size)

I've never (personally) changed the oil in my car.  Replacing light bulbs & wipers is the extent of the maintenance I'll do. (Although I have at least changed a tire)

Although I can cook most things well, I can't make a good steak for the life of me.  I'm also not handy with outdoor grilling.

kenarmy

***Sigh***

- I have a secret fan account for Britney Spears
- I absolutely suck at throwing and catching.
- My dad was a mechanic and he has a notorious race car.. But I really don't like the car and I'm scared to race it : (
- [Trauma] I discovered my dead dog when I was little, so I get terrified when I see a dog laying down still.
- I enjoy listening to female empowerment songs.. (Independent Woman, Work It, I'm Every woman, You Don't Own Me etc.)
- I can type over 120 wpm, some people think typing is a woman thing.
- Ok but I absolutely hate(d) when older people ask "do you get all the girls/ do you have a girlfriend". And then they'll say "Why not".. Maybe because I'm ugly or not interested in a relationship??? Also how do you know I'm straight
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

Typing is probably by far the most practical skill I ever learned in K-12.  I've used everyday of my professional life for something.  I couldn't fathom how much longer it would take to do things if I couldn't type correctly. 

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 01:39:54 PM
*  I can't throw a spiral.
Not that it's an important life skill, but how can you not throw a spiral? Have you tried? Can you throw a spiral with a smaller ball (not NFL size)?

Just put your fingers on the laces and throw it.

thspfc

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2021, 02:15:09 PM
* I much prefer small cars
100% agree on this one. Cheaper, better gas mileage, much easier to park. Right now I can't think of a situation where I would need a pickup truck. Legitimate reasons to own a pickup truck would be if you own a lot of land that you take care of, if it's helpful for your job, or if you have a boat/ATV/snowmobile etc. that you need to tow around.

kphoger

Quote from: dlsterner on July 21, 2021, 08:36:38 PM
Although I can cook most things well, I can't make a good steak for the life of me.

Same here.  It either comes out raw in the middle or cooked to leather.

Quote from: thspfc on July 21, 2021, 09:17:44 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 01:39:54 PM
*  I can't throw a spiral.
Not that it's an important life skill, but how can you not throw a spiral? Have you tried? Can you throw a spiral with a smaller ball (not NFL size)?

Just put your fingers on the laces and throw it.

That's about as useful as "teaching" someone to whistle by telling them "just put your lips together and blow".

There's more to throwing a spiral than just where your fingers go.  I've been told the arm motion is the same as serving in tennis, but I'm no good at that either.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

I always sucked at baseball and football but I was pretty solid in basketball and hockey.  Sometimes certain sports or athletic endeavors just aren't a good fit for a given individual. 

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2021, 09:34:53 PM
I always sucked at baseball and football but I was pretty solid in basketball and hockey.  Sometimes certain sports or athletic endeavors just aren't a good fit for a given individual.
I've always been terrible at basketball. I was okay at baseball until an errant throw that was not intended for me sent me to the ER. I lost interest after that. Never tried hockey but I know I would be awful.

Takumi

I'm a big fan of Lana Del Rey.

I too am not into trucks, though I'd be fine with a small one like an old Ranger.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JoePCool14

Small cars are just a big brain move. I drive a VW Golf and love how easy it is for me to park and maneuver tight spots. I don't think I would enjoy driving a pickup unless I had a good reason to.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM
There is one thing, though:  you have to surrender your man card at the door.

You can pick it up on the way back out.

You have a line in your sig that warrants having your man card forcibly taken from you, ripped apart, then burned, and you being put on a "no more man cards" list.

You can probably figure out which line.   :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2021, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM
There is one thing, though:  you have to surrender your man card at the door.

You can pick it up on the way back out.

You have a line in your sig that warrants having your man card forcibly taken from you, ripped apart, then burned, and you being put on a "no more man cards" list.

You can probably figure out which line.   :-D
Keep right except to pass?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.