News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RIP Charlie Watts

Started by 1995hoo, August 24, 2021, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I assume they'll still go through with the upcoming tour, much as the Who did when John Entwistle died right before the tour began, but I wonder if this marks the end for the Stones.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 24, 2021, 01:25:07 PM
I assume they'll still go through with the upcoming tour, much as the Who did when John Entwistle died right before the tour began, but I wonder if this marks the end for the Stones.
RIP Charlie. The Who had already lost Keith Moon at that point too.

roadman65

Sad. The Stones were to tour this coming Fall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

The Stones were already planning to tour without Charlie Watts this fall.

roadman65

Quote from: spooky on August 24, 2021, 03:09:36 PM
The Stones were already planning to tour without Charlie Watts this fall.

Oh okay. Wasn't sure about the line up.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

RIP Charlie.

There's still Mick and Keith, who are still the two original members left in the band (hard to believe that a long-lasting band has had THIS many lineup changes and can still kick butt). Yes, Keef Richard(s) is still alive.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 24, 2021, 04:03:59 PM
RIP Charlie.

There's still Mick and Keith, who are still the two original members left in the band (hard to believe that a long-lasting band has had THIS many lineup changes and can still kick butt).

They haven't had that many lineup changes, especially when compared to other bands in their age group.  Brian Jones -> Mick Taylor (1969), Taylor -> Ron Wood (1975), Bill Wyman -> Daryl Jones (1993, but he never joined officially). 

Charlie Watts will not be replaced by anyone but hired drummers, such as what they'd already decided to do with this tour.  I will be pleasantly surprised if the surviving members do a 60th Anniversary Tour next year, with or without Wyman and Taylor.  Jones and Wyman were replaced and the Stones carried on, but without Charlie, it's just not the same.

QuoteYes, Keef Richard(s) is still alive.

He looks decent for a man of 377.  It must be his signature embalming fluid keeping him going.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kevinb1994

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 24, 2021, 07:53:28 PM
RIP Charlie.

There's still Mick and Keith, who are still the two original members left in the band (hard to believe that a long-lasting band has had THIS many lineup changes and can still kick butt).

They haven't had that many lineup changes, especially when compared to other bands in their age group.  Brian Jones -> Mick Taylor (1969), Taylor -> Ron Wood (1975), Bill Wyman -> Daryl Jones (1993, but he never joined officially). 

Charlie Watts will not be replaced by anyone but hired drummers, such as what they'd already decided to do with this tour.  I will be pleasantly surprised if the surviving members do a 60th Anniversary Tour next year, with or without Wyman and Taylor.  Jones and Wyman were replaced and the Stones carried on, but without Charlie, it's just not the same.

He looks decent for a man of 377.  It must be his signature embalming fluid keeping him going.  :)
I think you may not know that they had some lineup changes in their early years (and by that, I mean very early on, before they had a recording contract and etc). Didn't have a stable lineup right away. Charlie helped with that (he was NOT their original drummer, but he did give the band some additional chops that proved worthy enough of a recording contract).

They'll probably pull off a farewell tour, or they'll announce that they're done once the current tour is over with.

Henry

A huge loss in rock & roll, even if you weren't a fan of the Stones or ever heard of them.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 24, 2021, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 24, 2021, 07:53:28 PM
RIP Charlie.

I think you may not know that they had some lineup changes in their early years (and by that, I mean very early on, before they had a recording contract and etc). Didn't have a stable lineup right away. Charlie helped with that (he was NOT their original drummer, but he did give the band some additional chops that proved worthy enough of a recording contract).

They'll probably pull off a farewell tour, or they'll announce that they're done once the current tour is over with.
I'd say that this tour is the big farewell. Having never owned any Stones albums is my main regret, so I'm planning to buy as many as I can so I can enjoy the genius of Charlie, Keith and Mick.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

I saw Eric Clapton called Charlie on his FB page a Sweet Prince.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

He will be missed, he was one of the finest drummers out there. The Rolling Stones as a band has had incredible longevity; I'm not sure if this is the end but I wish the best for the surviving members, as well as Charlies' family.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.