What is Your States Most Famous Route?

Started by silverback1065, October 24, 2021, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKS1

I'm not sure about Arkansas, this is a bit difficult

The Arkansas Dragon immediately comes to mind (AR 74 and 123 between Sand Gap and Mount Judea to as far as Jasper)
Most of AR 7 (primarily through Hot Springs and north of Russellville to near Harrison)
AR 309 (Mount Magazine Scenic Byway)
The two US Route violations (412 and 425)
The uncompleted Interstate 57 (although only roadgeeks know about this to be honest lol)
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

JREwing78

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 24, 2021, 11:13:43 AM
State highway: M-22

I would argue Woodward Ave (M-1) is more famous, though M-22 is certainly in the ballpark.

Quote from: GaryV on October 24, 2021, 01:48:45 PM
I think the most famous would be 8 Mile Road.

Few would actually be able to name the state highway designation (M-102), but this probably wins.

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 24, 2021, 11:13:43 AM
US highway: US-10

I'd argue it's among the least famous. US-23, US-31, US-127, and US-131 are far more prominent routes in-state. US-2 and US-41 are nationally important routes that both originate in the U.P. Even US-27, a route decommissioned for 20 years in Michigan, would probably outrank US-10 on this list.

60 years ago, sure, US-10 was a major route that would qualify as famous. Today, I doubt anyone in Michigan besides roadgeeks would notice or care if it wore a M-badge instead of a US-highway shield.

SkyPesos

For Ohio:

Interstate: I-80/90 (Ohio Turnpike). Excluded I-76 because it's pretty forgettable in the state, despite using a small portion of the turnpike.
US: US 40 (National Road). Still have some fame because of the National Road name despite getting replaced by I-70 for long-distance travel in the state.
State: OH 3, the original highway that connects the 3 "C" cities.

hbelkins

Kentucky's is probably US 23 because of "readin', 'ritin', and Route 23" or the Mountain Parkway because of the group Sundy Best's song of the same name.

If we're going by classification, for state route, I honestly don't know. For US routes, US 23 for the reason above. For interstates, I-71 because it was the site of the worst fatal bus crash in the country.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: epzik8 on October 24, 2021, 01:20:33 PM
I-95, US 50, MD 404

I was going to say I-70, because it also goes to Baltimore. :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

For Illinois, ironically, it's been decommissioned: US-66.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Dirt Roads

Quote from: fillup420 on October 24, 2021, 12:35:11 PM
North Carolina:

US highway is a tricky one. I say its between US 70 and US 74. Both route traverse the entire state west to east and go through many different types of terrain and towns. US 64 does as well, but it seems to be less well-known outside of the Raleigh-OBX segment.

US-129 is the famous "Tail of the Dragon", known for motorcycle trekking through the Smokies.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Brandon on October 24, 2021, 09:12:23 PM
Same for Missouri, and most other states the route ran through.

bwana39

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 24, 2021, 11:32:39 AM
CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, MO, IL: US 66

From among the national recognition, I would tend to agree US-66. All 175 miles of it. More because it is a part of  US-66 not because of any real Texas relevance.

In Texas, the Old San Antonio Trail (or road) or more recently called by its original Spanish name: El Camino Real de los Tejas.  A route from Natchitoches La to Mexico City via Nacogdoches, San Antonio  and crossing into Mexico near Eagle Pass.

Another might be the Chisolm (cattle) Trail which followed a wide path generally following US-81 from San Antonio to the Oklahoma line and on to Wichita KS.

Then there is always the Bankhead Highway that tracked US-67 and US-80 through Texas on its path from Washington DC to San Diego.

And last but not least the Old Spanish Trail that was made up of US-90 and US-80.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Crown Victoria

PA:

Interstate 76, because it's the vast majority of the PA Turnpike mainline and it's the Schuylkill Expressway, not to mention its coincidental numbering, being a major route through Philly. Consideration also given to I-95.

US 1, because it's part of the Lincoln Highway's route through PA as well as for its importance along the East Coast. Strongly considered US 30 (the rest of the Lincoln Highway through PA and west) and US 40 (the National Road).

Had a tougher time with the state route, but possibilities are PA 61, specifically around Centralia, and PA 611 (Broad Street in Philly, formerly US 611).

If any one route in PA is the most famous, it's the PA Turnpike...the first long-distance road of its type in the US, known for its tunnels (historically) and its ever-rising tolls (presently). 

RoadRebel

Quote from: fillup420 on October 24, 2021, 12:35:11 PM
North Carolina:

I-85, hits the 3 largest population centers (Triangle, Greensboro, Charlotte). Busy long-haul corridor with tons of commercial and industrial centers along the way. The expansion projects between charlotte and greensboro really brought the corridor to life. I still remember the old bridge over the Yadkin river. it was narrow and sketchy, with an awkward left exit just north of it.

NC 12, legendary coastal route along the OBX. Anyone who's been out there knows how unique NC 12 is.

US highway is a tricky one. I say its between US 70 and US 74. Both route traverse the entire state west to east and go through many different types of terrain and towns. US 64 does as well, but it seems to be less well-known outside of the Raleigh-OBX segment.

now for infamous its obvious:

I-95

Although not a regular route (commercial vehicles are banned), we also have the famed Blue Ridge Parkway.
Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

SkyPesos

Quote from: Crown Victoria on October 24, 2021, 11:34:02 PM
US 1, because it's part of the Lincoln Highway's route through PA as well as for its importance along the East Coast. Strongly considered US 30 (the rest of the Lincoln Highway through PA and west) and US 40 (the National Road).
How about US 22, the William Penn Highway?

Tom958

Georgia:  I-285, US 41 (h/t Greg Allman), and GA 400.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 12:07:02 AM

Good suggestion, as it does carry the name of Pennsylvania's namesake and is a major cross-state route. However, US 1 is still probably the more famous route.

thspfc

Quote from: Crown Victoria on October 25, 2021, 09:06:54 AM

Good suggestion, as it does carry the name of Pennsylvania's namesake and is a major cross-state route. However, US 1 is still probably the more famous route.
When I think of PA highways, the first one that comes to mind is I-76.

US20IL64

Of still around routes, just my opinion:

I-90, longest 2di.
US-30, part of historic Lincoln Highway. Or US-41 Lake Shore Dr.
IL-1 nearly the length of whole state. For Northern IL, IL-64/North Av or IL-21 Milwaukee Av.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 10:02:58 AM

Just the Pennsylvania Turnpike for me.  I'm pretty sure that term is more famous than its route numbers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

If Route 66 is not the answer for Texas, then I would think I-10 would be. Popularly known as the widest freeway in the world, plus it goes on for 880 miles. A lot of people seem to know that.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 25, 2021, 11:21:05 AM
If Route 66 is not the answer for Texas, then I would think I-10 would be. Popularly known as the widest freeway in the world, plus it goes on for 880 miles. A lot of people seem to know that.

The first road I think of in Texas is I-35, as it connects DFW, Waco, Austin and San Antonio.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

CA, OR and WA would have these:

I-5, US 101 and SR 99.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SkyPesos

Quote from: Henry on October 25, 2021, 11:38:38 AM
CA, OR and WA would have these:

I-5, US 101 and SR 99.
I think CA 1 may beat out CA 99 for CA's state route.

Still deciding between US 66 and US 101 for US route. US 66 as a whole is more nationally known, but US 101 runs on the Golden Gate Bridge, which is a nationally known bridge.

Max Rockatansky

With California either US Route 66 or California State Route 1 with US Route 101 somewhere in the background in third.  US 466 is indirectly famous for being the highway feature in the Grapes of Wrath and with the death of James Dean.  Amusingly Steinbeck calls Tehachapi US 66 and everyone calls the crash site of James Dean the current designation of CA 46.  Pertaining to US 99 and it's successor CA 99 it isn't really well known outside of West Coast circles.  I don't hear very many out of state folks clamoring to "see the Ridge Route"  as an example.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 11:17:08 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 10:02:58 AM

Just the Pennsylvania Turnpike for me.  I'm pretty sure that term is more famous than its route numbers.

Broken down into the Interstate-US Route-State Route categories, using the route numbers, I-76 and US 1 work for me. But yes I agree, the Pennsylvania Turnpike is our most famous, regardless of its number.

Over in New Jersey, the same goes for the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, and the Pulaski Skyway. Numbering considerations aside, those are that state's most famous routes.

jp the roadgeek

No-brainer for CT: The Merritt Parkway.  Except that most people think it's the entirety of CT 15 from the NY border to Meriden and forget the Wilbur Cross moniker in New Haven County.  As for national roads, definitely I-95

Vermont's is Route 100, of course.  RI is probably a tie between I-95 and RI 138. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 25, 2021, 10:57:55 AM

Of still around routes, just my opinion:

I-90, longest 2di.
US-30, part of historic Lincoln Highway. Or US-41 Lake Shore Dr.
IL-1 nearly the length of whole state. For Northern IL, IL-64/North Av or IL-21 Milwaukee Av.
Much of the IL 1 route between Chicago and Danville is also part of the old Dixie Highway

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.