Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Dead Malls

(1/103) > >>

The Premier:
Went online on the Akron Beacon Journal earlier today and I stumbled on this story that the final two chain stores in Rolling Acres Mall was closing. Sears was closing that store there by April 3. The J.C. Penney outlet store will be closing either this year or next year. :-(

I have went to that mall on several occasions; at one point it had dozens of stores. The last time I went there there was only the J.C. Penney outlet store (which I went in) and Sears and each were cut off from the closed off mall.

So the question is this: Did anyone ventured to a dead mall or went to a mall that would be closed down the road? And what were your memories?

jdb1234:

--- Quote from: The Premier on January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM ---Went online on the Akron Beacon Journal earlier today and I stumbled on this story that the final two chain stores in Rolling Acres Mall was closing. Sears was closing that store there by April 3. The J.C. Penney outlet store will be closing either this year or next year. :-(

I have went to that mall on several occasions; at one point it had dozens of stores. The last time I went there there was only the J.C. Penney outlet store (which I went in) and Sears and each were cut off from the closed off mall.

So the question is this: Did anyone ventured to a dead mall or went to a mall that would be closed down the road? And what were your memories?

--- End quote ---

I have been in 2: Eastwood Mall and Century Plaza in Birmingham.

mightyace:
The 100 Oaks mall died then was revived in the mid 90s and has died again.

Vanderbilt Medical took over the old mall area.

However, many of the shops with exterior access still exist as a kind of strip mall below the Vanderbilt offices.

Another dead mall was the Church Street Centre in downtown Nashville.  The main branch of the Nashville Public Library occupies that space today.

I also remember Rolling Acres Mall.  I went there some when I first moved to Akron.  But, as the Chapel Hill Mall area (which was also closest to me grew), I stopped going to Rolling Acres.

PAHighways:
Greengate Mall in Greensburg, PA was a dying mall for a long time.  The last time I visited it was when Wards was still in business, and their closure basically signaled the end as J. C. Penny had moved out in 1992 and Lazarus closed in the late 90s.  I remember there being only a handful of stores remaining.

It was demolished in the middle of the last decade and replaced with a big box center called "Greengate Centre."

Revive 755:
Been in a few (using the list at deadmalls.com as a basis); granted my memory has faded on many:

Missouri
* Crestwood Plaza around St. Louis - maybe had I-44 been built with MO 366 as the north outer road, this one would have more signs of life
* St. Louis Centre
* Wentzville Crossing (or whatever the now-defunct mall near the I-70/US 40- 61 interchange was - was out here long before the interstate upgrades to US 40-61 really began in St. Charles County
* Northwest Plaza - not on the list, but it doesn't sound like it is doing well either.  Haven't been to this one since before the decline really started.

Iowa
* Old Capital Mall in Iowa City - should have been catering to students more
* Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids - wasn't exceptionally busy, but never seemed excessively dead to me

Pennsylvania
* Parkway Center Mall in Pittsburgh - just stopped here once when in the area, this mall definitely seemed to be having a lack of business

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version