News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traditional Radio Faces a Grim Future, New Study Says

Started by ZLoth, September 07, 2017, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2017, 12:40:51 AM
Quote from: Henry on November 20, 2017, 09:26:27 AM
NBC got out of the business back in the 80s

https://youtu.be/ZiLs2kEZ8CA

Wow that GM who told Howard Stern over WNBC stuff was running the Cumulus San Francisco studios at the time of his death.

ZLoth

From Atlanta Business Chronicle, confirmed through Reuters:

Radio giant Cumulus Media files Chapter 11
QuoteTroubled radio giant Cumulus Media Inc. said late Wednesday that it filed to reorganize in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The Atlanta-based company (Nasdaq: CMLS), which is burdened with $2.4 billion in debt, owns and operates 446 radio stations broadcasting in 90 U.S. media markets.

Cumulus said it has entered a restructuring agreement with lenders to reduce the company's debt by more than $1 billion. The company filed for Chapter 11 in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Henry

Quote from: ZLoth on November 30, 2017, 12:14:46 AM
From Atlanta Business Chronicle, confirmed through Reuters:

Radio giant Cumulus Media files Chapter 11
QuoteTroubled radio giant Cumulus Media Inc. said late Wednesday that it filed to reorganize in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The Atlanta-based company (Nasdaq: CMLS), which is burdened with $2.4 billion in debt, owns and operates 446 radio stations broadcasting in 90 U.S. media markets.

Cumulus said it has entered a restructuring agreement with lenders to reduce the company’s debt by more than $1 billion. The company filed for Chapter 11 in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Which is why there really is no such thing as too big to fail. Look what happened to GM a few years back.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

bing101

Desert Man

iHeart radio, formerly ClearChannel, is infamous and controversial. They're blamed for killing the radio star more than the internet ever did. ClearChannel is known for "the 3 or 4 C's": country (most common music genre), conservative (talk or news) and "Christian" (public radio is a separate entity), but they well served the "red states" the most. The 4th C is "Caucasian", which isn't a market genre like "ethnic" (esp. Spanish-speaking Latinos).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

Locally, the former 3 radio networks: ABC had KPSI 920 and KESQ 1400 (both off air), CBS had KCMJ 1010 and KWXY 1340 (also off air), and NBC had KCLB 970 (remains on air with new name and format). CNN and FOX news each used to be on KNWZ 1140 and KDES 1450 (dial off air), as well KGUY 1270 (indeed, off air). The stations are subject to constant change, call letter switches, genre swaps (sometimes to ethnic in Spanish) and ownership acquisitions. And their slow, but sure movement to clearer-sounding FM quality.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

bing101

The Big Three TV networks are no longer involved in radio, which is indeed a sad time but has been expected since NBC got out of the business back in the 80s, and ABC sold off its stations to Citadel a decade ago (who, in turn, would be acquired by Cumulus).

Times changed NBC, CBS,  and ABC don't see radio as important as in the past. Sure its all about the app age. These media companies have to adapt to the current trends like podcasts', Video on demand, and figuring out how to fight against Amazon and Nexflix.

inkyatari

As people here may or may not be aware, I co host a podcast about arcade video gaming called Pie Factory Podcast.  Well, as a special bonus Christmas episode, we sat down for two hours and talked about our radio industry memories.  I hope you all enjoy!

Episode 68. Radio Memories.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Hurricane Rex

This grim future is despite certain radio hosts exploding in popularity but their parent companies don't survive as well as the show hosts do, unfortunately.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

bing101

bing101

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: bing101 on December 15, 2017, 05:20:14 PM
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13078377-74/kqv-pittsburghs-oldest-all-news-station-to-go-off-air-jan-1

KQV Radio to go off the air Jan 1st.

Sad to hear.  KQV is one of the oldest stations in the country.  IIRC, only KCBS San Francisco (1909, originally KQW), WHA Madison (1917), and WWJ Detroit (1919) are older.  I believe they were on the air in Pittsburgh before KDKA by a few months.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

SidS1045

The Big Three TV networks are no longer involved in radio, which is indeed a sad time but has been expected since NBC got out of the business back in the 80s, and ABC sold off its stations to Citadel a decade ago (who, in turn, would be acquired by Cumulus).

Not quite.  CBS still owns its radio network, now called CBS News Radio.  And much of the content of the other two is still provided by the news divisions of ABC and NBC.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

rickmastfan67

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 15, 2017, 06:23:22 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 15, 2017, 05:20:14 PM
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13078377-74/kqv-pittsburghs-oldest-all-news-station-to-go-off-air-jan-1

KQV Radio to go off the air Jan 1st.

Sad to hear.  KQV is one of the oldest stations in the country.  IIRC, only KCBS San Francisco (1909, originally KQW), WHA Madison (1917), and WWJ Detroit (1919) are older.  I believe they were on the air in Pittsburgh before KDKA by a few months.

Listened to the final broadcast from them. :(  They kinda signed off like how several TV stations signed off their analog feeds.  And then right @ Midnight, went to static. :(

bing101

ZLoth

Some more details at http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/NE/20180104/NEWS/180109857 . Quoting from the article (possible out of context quotes):
QuotePacifica's $8 million in debt approaches the equivalent of its $10.17 million in annual receipts. And its debt is more than double its entire assets of $3.97 million, according to the Guidestar database.

(text deleted)

But it has lost about half of its listeners since 2000. (KPFA has lost fewer, an estimated 20 percent.) And it struggles to compete for attention with the internet's vast menu of progressive blogs, podcasts, Facebook and Twitter posts.

"Younger people don't listen to radio as much,"  Crosier said. "We need to provide more web streams and other formats so they listen to what they want and when they want it."

Pacifica hasn't funded its employee retirement plan since 2015, and now owes the plan $750,000. It is delinquent in its audits, both for financial statements and retirement plans. Because book-keeping and reporting is deficient, it hasn't produced a balance sheet in two years, he wrote.

A few stations do not have working capital to sustain their operations or make critical payments in a timely manner. Some do not have qualified accounting staff, he wrote.

Meanwhile, its sprawling, disorganized, opinionated and ideological governing structure – "something akin to the late Ottoman Empire of public broadcasting"  – led to uncontrolled spending costs, Masar said.

(text deleted)

After the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in 2001, rents on the Empire State Building transmission antennas soared because so many of New York City's antennas were atop the Twin Towers. WBAI pays $60,000 a month – about $700,000 a year – for a signal. That's more than half the station's total annual budget.

As I read it, WBAI was behind on it's payments for it's transmitters on the World Trade Center Empire State Building, but hasn't fund-raised aggressively. ("Although KPFA is financially healthy ... WBAI is raising very little money." ) Because all of the stations are owned by the same group, you can guess what happens next... possible Chapter 11 Debt Restructuring.

SidS1045

WBAI is on Empire, not WTC, and is so far behind on its rent (almost $2 million) that the Empire State Realty Trust is threatening to pull the plug on their 40-year-old transmitter (way beyond an FM transmitter's normal useful life).

Meanwhile, Pacifica is suing the ESRT, claiming that, as a non-commercial station, they should be entitled to free rent on Empire's master antenna.  They've supposedly talked to Durst about relocating the transmitter site to the master antenna at 4 Times Square.  Talk about being divorced from reality.  Pacifica clearly has no idea how to run a business, and the fact that they've been on the air this long can only be attributed to luck.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

RobbieL2415

Broadcast radio is only good for two things:

NPR and the Dave Ramsey Show.

Other than that, you don't really need it.  Don't even really need it for civil defense since those alerts get pushed to smartphones.

ZLoth

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 13, 2018, 09:56:49 PMWBAI is on Empire, not WTC, and is so far behind on its rent (almost $2 million) that the Empire State Realty Trust is threatening to pull the plug on their 40-year-old transmitter (way beyond an FM transmitter's normal useful life).

Whoops... my error. The original post has been corrected.

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 13, 2018, 09:56:49 PMMeanwhile, Pacifica is suing the ESRT, claiming that, as a non-commercial station, they should be entitled to free rent on Empire's master antenna.  They've supposedly talked to Durst about relocating the transmitter site to the master antenna at 4 Times Square.  Talk about being divorced from reality.  Pacifica clearly has no idea how to run a business, and the fact that they've been on the air this long can only be attributed to luck.

Why am I not surprised by this statement.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 13, 2018, 10:42:18 PMBroadcast radio is only good for two things:

Other than that, you don't really need it.  Don't even really need it for civil defense since those alerts get pushed to smartphones.

I disagree on the civil defense part, and it's in the design on the network. Cell phone networks are extremely low power, and only have an effective range of a few miles (this is by design). Network load can delay messages.

Broadcast radio and television, in comparison, has an effective range range of dozens, if not a hundred or two hundred miles, depending on terrain and transmitter power. For quick dissemination of information, broadcast media can't be beat.

hbelkins

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 13, 2018, 10:42:18 PM

Not a fan of NPR for multiple reasons.

Does Ramsey have an app or offer podcasts?

I don't listen to actual over-the-air broadcast radio unless I am in an area with a strong signal for the stations carrying the shows I want to listen to when I am traveling. I use the iHeartRadio app to listen to the stream from my preferred broadcast stations (especially since I can't pick them up where I work).

And often, even if I'm traveling, I'll use the iHeart app and listen to the stream (if I have a cell signal) instead of trying to find a station that I can pick up on the car radio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/122420/kgo-sets-new-lineup-ronn-owens-moves-commentator-role/

KGO-AM Cumulus will make changes as Ronn Owens becomes a "Contributor" to the station and he is leaving the main host seat.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2018, 03:20:12 PM

Truth can be scary. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on January 15, 2018, 12:08:26 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2018, 03:20:12 PM
Truth can be scary. :D

Fake News is to be avoided.   
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.