News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Raiders to San Antonio?

Started by bing101, January 14, 2016, 06:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-texas-san-antonio-austin-relocation-stadium-alamodome-011316

Now this is more questionable. San Antonio is supposedly the new bargaining chip city for the NFL right after Los Angeles was announced to the Rams.

bing101

bing101

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/15/oakland-raiders-san-antonio-relocation-los-angeles?xid=si_social

Well we need to wait for the next Roger Goodell address to confirm or reject this rumor of San Antonio getting the Raiders.

DandyDan

I'm surprised Portland, Oregon hasn't made a bid for the Raiders.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

bing101

Quote from: DandyDan on January 16, 2016, 05:04:31 AM
I'm surprised Portland, Oregon hasn't made a bid for the Raiders.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25450564/report-raiders-have-secured-land-near-san-antonio-for-possible-move

I Say Portland is a cover just like Irwindale in the 1980's was for the Raiders until Oakland got the team again.

San Antonio is now the confirmed Bargaining chip city in the debates now.

ET21

Another Texas triangle (NBA has rockets, Mavs,and spurs), NFL could have Cowboys, Texans, and Raiders
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

triplemultiplex

Anyone know where this land is that Davis owns in TX?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

cl94

I've seen this proposal several times before and I think an eventual move is quite probable. Oakland has the worst stadium in the NFL, the 49ers get the market rights to the entire Bay Area, and San Antonio is in a region that is crazy for football. San Antonio could also support a team as it's the largest city without an NFL team (excluding LA) and the other two are quite far away. Would probably also draw from the Austin market, which is the second-largest without a team.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

DTComposer

Quote from: cl94 on January 17, 2016, 11:56:15 PM
I've seen this proposal several times before and I think an eventual move is quite probable. Oakland has the worst stadium in the NFL, the 49ers get the market rights to the entire Bay Area, and San Antonio is in a region that is crazy for football. San Antonio could also support a team as it's the largest city without an NFL team (excluding LA) and the other two are quite far away. Would probably also draw from the Austin market, which is the second-largest without a team.

Fact check: San Antonio is the largest city proper without an NFL team, but that hardly matters - you need to compare the whole market.

If you compare MSAs, St. Louis is still quite a bit larger than San Antonio. San Diego (if they lose the Chargers) is larger than San Antonio by nearly a million people. Riverside is larger by two million (granted, they're adjacent to Los Angeles). Portland is also larger (although likely to be passed by San Antonio in the next couple of years).

If you add CSAs to the list, Orlando, Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Columbus are all larger than San Antonio.

If you compare Nielsen markets, Orlando, Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Raleigh, San Diego, Columbus - all larger than the San Antonio market.

And on all those lists, you can add several more markets before you get to Austin.

All this said, although I'd hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland, in my opinion San Antonio is a very viable NFL market - i just want to make sure the numbers are right.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: DTComposer on January 18, 2016, 10:12:36 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 17, 2016, 11:56:15 PM

Fact check: San Antonio is the largest city proper without an NFL team, but that hardly matters - you need to compare the whole market.

If you compare MSAs, St. Louis is still quite a bit larger than San Antonio. San Diego (if they lose the Chargers) is larger than San Antonio by nearly a million people. Riverside is larger by two million (granted, they're adjacent to Los Angeles). Portland is also larger (although likely to be passed by San Antonio in the next couple of years).

If you add CSAs to the list, Orlando, Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Columbus are all larger than San Antonio.

If you compare Nielsen markets, Orlando, Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Raleigh, San Diego, Columbus - all larger than the San Antonio market.

And on all those lists, you can add several more markets before you get to Austin.

All this said, although I'd hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland, in my opinion San Antonio is a very viable NFL market - i just want to make sure the numbers are right.

But if you look at a couple of those Nielsen markets, you would see that at least three of them couldn't support an NFL team because of their proximity to another franchise. Raleigh is too close to Charlotte, Columbus is too close to Cleveland AND Cincinnati, and Orlando is too close to Tampa. San Antonio, Portland and St. Louis are the three best options there.

I do wonder how a San Antonio team would do in Texas. It might turn into a North Carolina situation. NC is crazy about college basketball but not so much about the pro basketball team that moved there. The Raiders would have to perform immediately in order to compete with the college football offerings.

bing101

http://www.ktvu.com/news/74313994-story

And Santa Clara/ San Jose area is still at play here for the Raiders to go to Levi's stadium.
Yes that Levi's stadium where the 49ers play.

http://smmercury.com/2016/01/15/could-san-marcos-land-the-oakland-raiders-a-natural-play-officials-say/

Also a location in San Marcos near I-35 is at play here for a new Raiders stadium.

triplemultiplex

If they build a stadium way the hell out in San Marcos, they cannot in good conscience call them the San Antonio Raiders.  That's two counties away from actual San Antonio.

spooky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 18, 2016, 09:41:22 PM
If they build a stadium way the hell out in San Marcos, they cannot in good conscience call them the San Antonio Raiders.  That's two counties away from actual San Antonio.

No kidding, that would be like calling a team in Santa Clara the San Francisco...oh, never mind.

jbnv

They could call them the Texas Raiders... if it weren't for the Houston You-Know-Whats.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cl94

Quote from: jbnv on January 19, 2016, 09:13:10 AM
They could call them the Texas Raiders... if it weren't for the Houston You-Know-Whats.

I don't think anyone would confuse the Texans with the Raiders. Or call them the Alamo Raiders or something else that highlights something huge in Texas.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2016, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: jbnv on January 19, 2016, 09:13:10 AM

I don't think anyone would confuse the Texans with the Raiders. Or call them the Alamo Raiders or something else that highlights something huge in Texas.

"Alamo Raiders" would be a bad idea, as the original raiders of the Alamo were Santa Ana's Centralist army against the Federalist Texans defending it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

The Nature Boy

Is the Raiders name too valuable to just let die and come up with new Texas centric name?

The Texas Lone Stars is all I can come up with.

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 19, 2016, 11:46:59 AM
Is the Raiders name too valuable to just let die and come up with new Texas centric name?

Texas Rangers? Yeah, there's a baseball team with the same name, but it's happened before. Texas Cowboys? Texas Eagles (famous train between St. Louis and Texas)?

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2016, 11:52:21 AM

Texas Rangers? Yeah, there's a baseball team with the same name, but it's happened before. Texas Cowboys? Texas Eagles (famous train between St. Louis and Texas)?

The Texas Rangers were my first thought but I assume that North Texans might not like the South Texas football team using their baseball team's name.

Pete from Boston

I would bet the Raiders brand is one of the most valuable in football, so, yes.

jbnv

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 19, 2016, 12:14:23 PM

Valuable, but not infungible.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jbnv on January 19, 2016, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 19, 2016, 12:14:23 PM

Valuable, but not infungible.

I didn't say Oakland Raiders.  The Raiders were still fashionable to people trying to show their miscreant thug side even when in LA.

I often tell folks who weren't around to remember that in the later 1970s, there were a lot of teams but you still generally ended up in either the Pittsburgh camp or the Dallas camp, except for the contrarians and ne'er-do-wells, who rooted for Oakland.

Buck87

Regarding possible logos, I like this one:

Pete from Boston

The ones with the cowboy hat make the sword hilts look like pigtails at first glance.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: spooky on January 19, 2016, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 18, 2016, 09:41:22 PM

No kidding, that would be like calling a team in Santa Clara the San Francisco...oh, never mind.
The Santa Clara 99ers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.