News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ever been to a sporting event that was forfeited?

Started by bandit957, May 27, 2018, 07:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeman33

I've covered a game that was forfeited after the fact but that's as close as I've come to witnessing one in person.

In my area of Southeast Kansas, there's a high-school league made up of very small schools. Some of them have as few as 30 kids. Last season, two of the league's softball teams had multiple forfeits. Teams here prefer to play doubleheaders, so each scheduled date was actually forfeits of both games of a doubleheader. Kansas allows softball teams to play 20 games. Several teams in this league had 20 total wins and losses combined but only played 16 games.

The schools were not scheduled to play each other, though, as the league has 12 teams and each can only schedule 10 doubleheaders. I don't know if they would have had a pair of double forfeits if they had been set to play each other.

Also last year, one of the baseball teams had to cancel its entire season because only seven kids reported for the first day of practice. But that happened early enough that teams were able to go find new opponents if they wanted to.

CNGL-Leudimin

Related to this, I've personally done a walkover (i.e. winning by virtue of being the only finisher) twice :sombrero:. Both were due to retirements in orienteering meets: the first one was a two day event for which in my class only me and another runner  entered both days, and in the first day the other runner had to abandon due to injury, leaving me to just finish the second day in order to win (there was another runner that day but as he didn't run the night before he wasn't eligible). The second one was a day event, and again only me and another runner who retired halfway were in my class.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Super Mateo

I was the treasurer of a church basketball league many years ago.  There was once a game involving my brother's team, but his team only had four players show up.  The opponents had a full team plus subs available.  Their coach had the option* to accept a forfeit win or play the game 5 on 4 the whole time and accept the result.  The coach asked his team and they wanted to play, so they played the game.  My brother's team, with no subs available and one player short, won by a single point. Although this wasn't a forfeit, this is the closest I've seen to one.

*-League rules were that less than 4 players was an automatic forfeit; 4 players give the opposing coach the option; and 5 or more and the game gets played.  If a team with only four players suffers an injury, the team would be forced to forfeit.

ftballfan

The oddest thing just happened last night!
My high school (Manistee) was scheduled to host a girls/boys doubleheader against Muskegon Heights Public School Academy. However, the refs never showed up, which should have given both Muskegon Heights teams forfeit wins. However, the Muskegon Heights girls had to forfeit their game to Manistee (that was known prior to scheduled game time) as the Heights were low on numbers due to a fight in their previous game. The forfeits had no real effect, as Manistee would have been heavily favored in the girls game while Muskegon Heights would have been heavily favored in the boys game.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 07, 2018, 03:10:27 PM
I was not there, and I don't follow the WNBA, but I see the league announced the Las Vegas Aces forfeited last Friday night's game against the Mystics. The Aces refused to show up for the game after flight delays (per news reports, the league doesn't allow charter flights).
Is Vegas the only city that hosts a WNBA team but not an NBA team?

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2019, 12:46:34 PM
I was not there, and I don't follow the WNBA, but I see the league announced the Las Vegas Aces forfeited last Friday night's game against the Mystics. The Aces refused to show up for the game after flight delays (per news reports, the league doesn't allow charter flights).

I'd have to look up what cities have WNBA teams, but off the top of my head I can answer "no"  because the Mystics played Seattle in the WNBA finals (we went to a game) and Seattle doesn't have an NBA team anymore. (Edited to add: I don't know whether they had the WNBA team before the SuperSonics left.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2019, 01:09:43 PM

I'd have to look up what cities have WNBA teams, but off the top of my head I can answer "no"  because the Mystics played Seattle in the WNBA finals (we went to a game) and Seattle doesn't have an NBA team anymore. (Edited to add: I don't know whether they had the WNBA team before the SuperSonics left.)
Connecticut has a WNBA team but has never had an NBA team

apeman33

Seattle's WNBA team was owned and operated by the Sonics before the latter moved. Right now, Las Vegas and Connecticut are WNBA teams in non-NBA cities. All NBA teams used to own the WNBA team in their market but now that's not necessarily true. The Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta WNBA teams have different owners than the NBA teams.

1995hoo

Quote from: ftballfan on February 19, 2019, 01:49:34 PM

Unless you count the Celtics because they used to play a few home games each year in Hartford (I wouldn't count that, but some hypertechnical types might).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2019, 09:33:57 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on February 19, 2019, 01:49:34 PM

Unless you count the Celtics because they used to play a few home games each year in Hartford (I wouldn't count that, but some hypertechnical types might).

That reminds me of how the Packers used to play 2-3 home games in Milwaukee every year when Milwaukee still had County Stadium, from when County Stadium was first built until they stopped playing there in 1994. It seems like quite a lot actually if you think about it, because of all the extra travel fans would have to make to Milwaukee (though it helps if you're from the region), and the games they took from Green Bay. That's 2-3 home games not played in their home stadium, out of the 7 or 8 each team had during the season.
Forget the I-41 haters

TheHighwayMan3561

I know they designate 2 home games a year to this day as priority for Milwaukee area fans due to the cessation of the County Stadium games.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.