Culver’s is Coming Soon to our Area!

Started by kevinb1994, March 02, 2019, 04:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I never knew Culver's even existed outside of the Great Lakes region. I had always thought it was a regional chain headquartered in the Madison, Wisconsin area.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 14, 2019, 03:38:18 PM
I never knew Culver's even existed outside of the Great Lakes region. I had always thought it was a regional chain headquartered in the Madison, Wisconsin area.

15 years ago, you'd be right.  And the overwhelming majority of their restaurants are still in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan.  But they're expanding almost coast-to-coast now.  Just look at their website for the map.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

golden eagle

I had Culver's in Gainesville, Florida and in Chicago last year. I liked it both times.

Does anyone like Cook Out?

Jovet

I'm still sad Culver's got rid of their excellent fried chicken dinners!
Joseph
[Jovet]

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 22, 2019, 11:52:49 PM
I had Culver's in Gainesville, Florida and in Chicago last year. I liked it both times.

Haven't been there yet, but will attempt to stop by this year or next.

hbelkins

Quote from: golden eagle on June 22, 2019, 11:52:49 PM

Yes! Just as good as Five Guys, but much cheaper. Get the Big Double tray, add bacon and cheese, and it's only a shade over $6, with a drink. You'll pay $10 for the same thing at Five Guys. (Of course, you don't get a gazillion bag fries like you do at Five Guys.)

I'll be in Frankfort four nights next week for work. I'm guessing I'll have Cook Out at least two nights.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

golden eagle

Five Guys has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't been there in maybe five years. I guess I just don't have the appetite for humongous burgers and a boatload of greasy fries. Plus, there's a local place just blocks from my house that have burgers just as big.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Jovet on June 23, 2019, 12:03:26 AM

My family and I are really perturbed by this.  Why would they do such a thing?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 24, 2019, 10:08:08 PM

The word on the street was people complained it took too long to get their orders. Which makes absolutely zero sense because Culver's is not where you want to go if you're in a pinch for time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mrt90

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 24, 2019, 10:15:54 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 24, 2019, 10:08:08 PM

The word on the street was people complained it took too long to get their orders. Which makes absolutely zero sense because Culver's is not where you want to go if you're in a pinch for time.

The fried chicken took so long to make so it was difficult to coordinate with the rest of an order, and it was ordered so infrequently that they couldn't really start cooking enough in advance for fear of throwing it all away.  The other dinners they have are basically just other menu items (same Cod used on sandwich and in dinner, and same pot roast used on sandwich and in dinner, and cooking chopped steak is basically the same as cooking a burger) so they don't have same problem.

My dad really liked their fried chicken but I didn't think it was that good.

Did I mention that I go to Culver's ALOT!

Mark68

We have a Culver's and TWO Freddy's locations here in Parker, CO. One of the Freddy's is just down the street (maybe a mile?) from the Culver's. I will actually pass Culver's and go to Freddy's. I love the patty melts. OTOH, I like the fries (and curds) at Culver's.

Someone brought up Steak N Shake upthread. I go there for one reason: chili. I will eat their chili even if it's 100+ degrees out. Their burgers are meh.

I do love Five Guys, but I actually get their hot dogs on most visits. Nice, grilled hot dogs wrapped in cheese & bacon. Yum!

But I am excited that we'll probably be seeing In N Out within a couple of years. They're building a distribution center in Colorado Springs, and that means it's only a matter of time before we see locations popping up everywhere. And if they build it, we will come (there are a lot of transplants from California here).

For you Oregon people, I wouldn't pine too much about Culver's (or any other chain). You have Burgerville, and when I lived out there, it was a staple in my household.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

In_Correct

Quote from: nexus73 on March 03, 2019, 11:05:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2019, 04:00:37 AM
Every time I've eaten at Culver's, I found it strikingly similar to Braum's. Braum's is cheaper and you can pick up some groceries on the way out the door. No wonder there's no Culver's in Oklahoma.

Braum's was a regional chain encountered by a friend and me during the 2017 trip to Memphis TN.  We enjoyed their milkshakes but never did have a burger.  After what you posted, now I wish we had tried some of their food!

Rick

Culver's used to be some place in Oklahoma, but that location is some thing else instead.

Yes, there are three other restaurants that have effectively taken the place of Culver's.

Braum's is known for its restaurant with store brand dairy items with produce and very expensive name brands. If you want to add some thing to your food that they do not sell at the restaurant area, you can still get it at the grocery area. They also sell dishes.

Sonic is another one that is based on ordering and eating directly from the parking lot. There are a few locations where you can picnic, and even fewer locations where you can order and even eat inside the building (no car needed) but I do like the menu, almost a kiosk, (the last time I was a Sonic which is years ago) you have to talk to somebody to order but you can pay with a card be cause each menu has a card reader. Also I like the menu items. The menu items are vast, and while it is comparable with Jack In The Box, its menu items with the restaurant's theme is comparable to Culver's and Braum's.

And there is also Boom-A-Rang. This so far is an Oklahoma - Only restaurant chain focusing on opening restaurants in every small to medium sized towns in Oklahoma. This is a sit down restaurant where you have to ask to get a drink refill. Water and straws are free but you still have to ask for every thing. There is no Drive Thru either. (Braums has Drive Thrus and inside there are self serve beverage fountains with napkins, straws, and condiments.) But I think you are a lot more likely to have a Boom-A-Rang nearby if you live in Oklahoma.

And with these three restaurants that I mentioned, people are much more likely to keep going to them all the time.

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 10, 2019, 07:22:37 PM
Is Hardee's good or bad? I'll take everyone's word for it.

Quote from: Road Hog on March 10, 2019, 07:59:09 PM
Culver's is here already but they announced they're opening one up the road in Denison, where they have a Freddy's too.

Hardee's and Carl's Jr. are basically the same company, just a different name East and West. Their menus are a little different but I loved the breakfasts from both.

A little surprised they have Jack in the Box in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Missouri and Tennessee, but not one in Arkansas.

Hardee's seemed to compete with Arby's decades ago. I even remember the completely different logo design. Hardee's was a Roast Beef deli just as Arby's still is today.

But now Hardee's is now a part of Carl's Junior, which has oversized, sloppy, Big Mac / Whopper burgers.

These restaurants are basically the same restaurant with different names. For example, They have either a Red Burrito or a Green Burrito menu.

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2019, 12:33:47 PM
I just eat the free breakfast at my hotel.

I like to bring my lunch or make it from groceries at Walmart, cook under the hood, and if they have Continental Breakfast at Hotels.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Buck87

The new Culver's in Sandusky, Ohio is now open. Went there Friday night and it was packed, but still had pretty efficient service.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.