News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Smallest Control Cities

Started by Genghixiani, February 26, 2024, 08:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 02:10:35 PM
That's not a diacritic. Å and A are entirely different letters in Norwegian (in much the same way that Ñ is a letter and not N with an accent in Spanish).

Pronounced effectively "Oh" and "Ah" respectively.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 02:10:35 PM
That's not a diacritic. Å and A are entirely different letters in Norwegian (in much the same way that Ñ is a letter and not N with an accent in Spanish).

1.  That's a distinction that doesn't really persuade me.  I'd say that the letters Å and Ñ are formed by adding a diacritic to a glyph.  Even if they're separate letters, the little doodad is still a diacritic.  In my book, at least.

2.  If anything, you just proved my point even further.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 10:38:02 AM
Trying to think of other four letter control cities -- Erie, Elko, Reno. Sure I'm missing a few.
Utah

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jlam on February 29, 2024, 11:22:54 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 10:38:02 AM
Trying to think of other four letter control cities -- Erie, Elko, Reno. Sure I'm missing a few.
Utah

As I despise control states, I will forget you said that. :) Iowa would apply too.

ran4sh

Quote from: GaryV on February 29, 2024, 09:46:55 AM

Do control cities need to be the same for exits of both directions of the road you are already on?

No, I don't think I've ever seen that restriction in the MUTCD, and the current MUTCD even includes a figure showing an example of the same exit having different destinations in each direction.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.