News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Making wide shields?

Started by Quillz, September 22, 2021, 05:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I'm trying to modify the Mexican federal highway shield so that a proper wide version exists. Problem is, I'm not very good at Illustrator. The best I can do is a lazy expansion of the x-axis. But when I look at wide interstate shields, for example, the angles are modified to account for the wider length. Is there some method to properly widen shields? Merely making things wider by expanding the x-axis just doesn't look right.

I'm trying to make one that is wider by at least 6" or so.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Quillz on September 22, 2021, 05:17:41 AM
I'm trying to modify the Mexican federal highway shield so that a proper wide version exists. Problem is, I'm not very good at Illustrator. The best I can do is a lazy expansion of the x-axis. But when I look at wide interstate shields, for example, the angles are modified to account for the wider length. Is there some method to properly widen shields? Merely making things wider by expanding the x-axis just doesn't look right.

I'm trying to make one that is wider by at least 6" or so.

Whatever graphic tool you are using, start out with the original shield and make sure you turn on the gridlines in the background.  Cut you shield in half (top-to-bottom) and convert the top arc and the bottom arc into single graphic elements (in both cases, arcs; the top one might actually be a partial circle).  With your arc tool, create two new arcs that are 3 inches wider than the original ones (and the same height), both starting at the same spot as the original arcs.  When you get them to look good, delete the original ones.  Set up the entire half-shield as a "group" and copy the group using the flip horizontal tool.  Paste the two halves together and, voila!  Might take you a few times to get the hang of the arc draw tool, but they are usually easy to use.

Scott5114

Yes, reconstruct the original shield with arcs, then change the dimensions of the arcs accordingly. Note that in most cases you want to create circular arcs, as those are more pleasing to the eye than ellipsoidal arcs–when you stretch a shield horizontally it's taking the circular arcs and stretching them to be ellipsoidal, which is why it looks weird.

Same concept applies to Interstate shields: redraw the shield with larger circular arcs and it looks right. Stretch it out and use ellipsoidal arcs, and you get the "bubble shield".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 22, 2021, 03:43:52 PM

Same concept applies to Interstate shields: redraw the shield with larger circular arcs and it looks right. Stretch it out and use ellipsoidal arcs, and you get the "bubble shield".

Conversely, some of those "pointy shields" that can be found in OKC -- I remember them primarily at I-35 and I-44 on the north side of town -- are what you get when you shrink a normal 3di marker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 22, 2021, 10:39:29 AM
convert the top arc and the bottom arc into single graphic elements (in both cases, arcs; the top one might actually be a partial circle).
This is where I'm getting a bit lost. I'm using Illustrator and I don't know what you mean by this. My SVG is already a single layer? I don't know what you mean by "converting into a single graphics element" because I think I'm already there?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 22, 2021, 10:39:29 AM
convert the top arc and the bottom arc into single graphic elements (in both cases, arcs; the top one might actually be a partial circle).

Quote from: Quillz on September 23, 2021, 09:03:21 AM
This is where I'm getting a bit lost. I'm using Illustrator and I don't know what you mean by this. My SVG is already a single layer? I don't know what you mean by "converting into a single graphics element" because I think I'm already there?

You want something that can be deleted after you place the new arcs, rather than a bunch of pixels that need to be erased by hand.  But you don't want to delete the part of the shield that you want to keep.  It's been a long time since I used Illustrator, but I'm pretty sure that you can also put the new arcs on a different layer and delete the old stuff later.  But in that case, you might as well draw a new half-shield on a different layer and then delete all of the old one.

Quillz

Ah, you were just describing layers. I see, that's what I already use so I'm familiar with that. Okay, thanks, I'll try what you suggested. I've found the arc tool but need some practice with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.