News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 75 North of I-45's end in Dallas

Started by msubulldog, September 20, 2012, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captkirk_4

Quote from: us175 on October 12, 2012, 04:56:32 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on October 12, 2012, 09:12:34 AM
Interesting. Here's a local story about a push to upgrade the 69/75 corridor:

http://heralddemocrat.com/sections/news/local/task-force-working-make-us-highway-75-interstate.html

Well.  Nice to see something tangible about this issue in the press or on the local level one way or the other.  Assuming the TEX-21 representation(s) do lead to something past the pipe-dream stage (without the thread going fictional), does the final result resemble:

-- US 75 overlapping I-45 between Dallas and Atoka?
-- US 75 being truncated to Atoka?
-- OK cities still having thru-town routes?
-- OK cities all bypassed?
-- Big Cabin/I-44 new northern I-45 terminus?

I just drove this route today from Lewisville TX to Big Cabin 260 miles and it took me 5 hours! If this was an interstate at 75mph the trip could be 3 and a half hours. It really got slow from Muskogee to Big Cabin with lots of slow downs and lights. The southern part was more rural with mostly 70 speed limits but a few slow downs, saw a speed trap in action in Caney where it slowed to 55 for a very rural crossing with no town anywhere visible. You know, even if Oklahoma isn't up to it you'd think the federal government would step in to finish a direct interstate route from Chicago to Dallas. Wasn't the original interstate project a national security enterprise done by Eisenhower?

On an off I have to say DFW has a very confusing road system with strange frontage roads with weird loops, not like the simple frontages I see in Arkansas and Kenosha County WI. Found it very difficult to get to the Waffle House a half mile from my motel.

sparker

Quote from: captkirk_4 on June 11, 2018, 02:08:07 AM
On an off I have to say DFW has a very confusing road system with strange frontage roads with weird loops, not like the simple frontages I see in Arkansas and Kenosha County WI. Found it very difficult to get to the Waffle House a half mile from my motel.

I-10 immediately east of El Paso has much the same freeway/frontage road configuration; if you're on a frontage road (single direction) and wish to get to something behind you (like your hypothetical Waffle House), you need to (a) head to the nearest major intersecting street, (b) use the crossover curving under the freeway to the opposite-direction frontage road, (c) take that frontage road back in the opposing direction to the next crossing street, then (d) repeat the crossover process in reverse, and, finally (e) head down your original frontage road to the restaurant.  This was the major stopping point when I was making numerous trips in the '90's ferrying my elderly parents from the L.A. area to visit family in SE Oklahoma.  My late dad, who was generally the most stoical of folks, actually piped up regarding this very process (I think the restaurant in question was a IHOP), calling it a "fucking pain in the ass!"  Unfortunately, given the TX urban frontage-road "philosophy", it's not at all uncommon!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.