News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: tckma on August 18, 2016, 04:58:54 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 11, 2016, 01:42:20 PM
I took this photo today and posted it for the "take-it-yourself route number challenge", and I thought it was kind of funny. The welcome sign says "please drive at 50 km/h speed limit", while the speed limit sign behind says 60. The speed limit does go down to 50 not too far after, but it still looks funny :)

But that's why it's in quotes.  (A pet peeve of mine -- QUOTATION MARKS ARE *NOT* USED FOR EMPHASIS!!!)

Maybe it's quoting something the mayor said...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on August 19, 2016, 02:20:24 PM
Quote from: tckma on August 18, 2016, 04:58:54 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 11, 2016, 01:42:20 PM
I took this photo today and posted it for the "take-it-yourself route number challenge", and I thought it was kind of funny. The welcome sign says "please drive at 50 km/h speed limit", while the speed limit sign behind says 60. The speed limit does go down to 50 not too far after, but it still looks funny :)

But that's why it's in quotes.  (A pet peeve of mine -- QUOTATION MARKS ARE *NOT* USED FOR EMPHASIS!!!)

Maybe it's quoting something the mayor said...

It's possible. The best I could find from Google was this quote from this article on potentially dropping school zone speeds from 50 km/h to 40 km/h in the Township of Wilmot (which includes Baden). The quote suggests he's in favour of lower speed limits
Quote"To say, 'Well it really doesn't make a difference, so let's not change it.'... I mean if we don't change it, it's not going to make a difference. But if we do change it, it just might make a difference," Wilmot Mayor Les Armstrongs said

I few quotes from the article I found funny:

QuoteBob Henderson, transportation engineering manager, couldn't have been clearer about staff's recommendation not to change the speed limits at a meeting Tuesday.

"Changing speed limits typically will have little to no effect on driver speeds and behaviour," he said.

Quote"Some of the studies we've seen show that the people that are dropping their children off are often the people that speed by," Redman said.

7/8

But getting back on topic, I found this fire safety sign on Kerwood Dr at Townline Rd in Cambridge. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before (and I wonder why this particular street has the sign?). Maybe the Fire Department has had too many calls from this street :colorful:

1995hoo

Quote from: cappicard on August 16, 2016, 05:15:24 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 27, 2016, 11:42:58 PM
This is one of my favorite signs and I've seen it in 2012 and 2014, but this afternoon was the first time I had a chance to get a picture. It's near the southern end of Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston, Florida, as you approach Griffin Road. I have no idea what legal authority (statute, city regulation, whatever) supports the sign, and I wonder how many people don't know what "queue" means. But I love the sign.

Well, simply barging your way over into the other lane, regardless of the presence of another vehicle and expecting everyone else to adjust to your maneuver...  That would certainly constitute an illegal lane change.  That's really only an issue in stand-still traffic, though.
K-DOT is trying to implement the zipper merge for the road construction zone along US-69 in southern Overland Park coincidentally.

The sign shown above isn't a zipper merge situation. There's a traffic light up ahead where Bonaventure Boulevard ends at Griffin Road. The right lane must turn right and the left lane becomes a left-only and a left-or-straight option lane. There's also a school on the right that may back up the traffic as well (I've never been down there when school is in session). The sign's illustration notwithstanding, I don't know which lane is the one that has the problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on August 19, 2016, 06:21:45 PM
But getting back on topic, I found this fire safety sign on Kerwood Dr at Townline Rd in Cambridge. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before (and I wonder why this particular street has the sign?). Maybe the Fire Department has had too many calls from this street :colorful:

It's white, so it must be regulatory.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

marleythedog

I went out this weekend to grab a shot of this unique TO US-35 sign in Dayton:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7482724,-84.141999,3a,37.5y,113.41h,86.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sWGB8RxYRR4df-ban07OWfw!2e0!5s20151001T000000!7i13312!8i6656

It's probably the most California looking sign I've seen in Ohio, with the white-on-green US shield and use of "Frwy" (not "Fwy" like California).

Alas, I missed my chance; it's been replaced with one of the City of Dayton's funky black-on-white-on-green unisigns (like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7645157,-84.1789404,3a,15y,43.63h,88.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1srwVdXE9xEyGUnr5LmTiW4A!2e0!5s20151001T000000!7i13312!8i6656 ) within the last few months :angry: .

chays

I saw this on my friend's Facebook page.  Only description is "small town in Indiana".  I knew odd speed limits were common in private complexes, but haven't seen many, if any, on public streets.
Check out the lion.

CtrlAltDel

Here's a BGS in Johnson City TN with cardinal directions on separate plaques.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Scott5114

Quote from: chays on August 23, 2016, 02:56:08 PM
I saw this on my friend's Facebook page.  Only description is "small town in Indiana".  I knew odd speed limits were common in private complexes, but haven't seen many, if any, on public streets.
Check out the lion.

Embossed? Nice. Candidate for "The Best of Road Signs" for sure.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 24, 2016, 06:48:54 PM
Here's a BGS in Johnson City TN with cardinal directions on separate plaques.

That's because once upon a time, there was an I-181 marker where that I-26 marker is, and the word "NORTH" was between the I-181 and US 23 markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignGeek101

A temporary sign (for the next two-three years) using what I think is Mittelschrift (except for the numerals).

https://goo.gl/maps/eyBZ9HhVuLM2

6a

WillWeaverRVA

From what I've seen, if Virginia signs a business route with rectangles, they just use the regular route number. However, they've recently put up a bunch of "B360" rectangles in Mechanicsville...haven't seen anything like this before (aside from frontage roads and town roads).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kkt

Quote from: 6a on August 31, 2016, 07:08:45 PM
Jakeroot suggested this might belong in this thread:

Warning!  If you continue to the left, you may come to I-71.

7/8

I saw this sign yesterday on the Aviation Parkway in Ottawa, ON just before the Canadian Aviation Museum. Wikipedia says it's a federally-owned road, which might explain it's non-standard design:

7/8

Here's one I found today on Hwy 7 in Guelph, heading EB approaching Line 86. Instead of saying "County" at the bottom, it says "Guelph Suburban". It's also worth noting that the sign in the opposite direction says "County".

SignGeek101

7/8

The font on this Autoroute 5 shield in Wakefield, QC seems odd to me:

SignGeek101

Quote from: 7/8 on September 07, 2016, 05:03:55 PM
The font on this Autoroute 5 shield in Wakefield, QC seems odd to me:

Arial black and a compressed 'Jct' tab. MTQ knows better than that.

Also, note the "." in "Jct." in the bottom tab.

formulanone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on September 09, 2016, 09:47:36 AM
Pictographic law enforcement in Monticello, Florida:

At first it looked like the guy was shooting at the oncoming car, but then I noticed the car appears further away than the cop, so clearly the two images aren't related!  :D

US 81

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 09, 2016, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 09, 2016, 09:47:36 AM
Pictographic law enforcement in Monticello, Florida:

At first it looked like the guy was shooting at the oncoming car, but then I noticed the car appears further away than the cop, so clearly the two images aren't related!  :D

Or else, they have really big LEOs but only allow small cars?

Revive 755

After some browsing inspired by the I-20 west end thread, found this symbolic falling rocks sign in New Mexico:  Streetview

In Northbrook, Illinois, there is a symbolic 'combined no left turn - no straight' sign:  Streetview.  I'm guessing this restriction is an attempt to reduce cut through traffic.

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 01, 2016, 11:36:17 AM
From what I've seen, if Virginia signs a business route with rectangles, they just use the regular route number. However, they've recently put up a bunch of "B360" rectangles in Mechanicsville...haven't seen anything like this before (aside from frontage roads and town roads).

360 Business rectangles used to say "C360" - https://goo.gl/maps/NrirE9YNyw92
The 'C' may originate from this being the 3rd US 360 Business created chronologically...

I want to say there is a 208B rectangle somewhere in Spotsylvania on VA 208 Business but GMSV is too old...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.