Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2019, 11:37:21 PM

The worst situation seems to be when driving along single-track neighborhood streets (with parking along either side), and you come to the crest of a hill. Best advice is to roll down the window and listen for other cars. Seems dangerous, but the roads aren't well-trafficked, and the narrowness of the street keeps traffic speeds low.

But you're right. You'd need an insane number of these signs. They're not used already, I suspect, because drivers are expected to watch for this already.

I can't believe Pierce Transit rerouted #11 on a narrow residential street.  When I road it, one bus or the other had to pull over wherever possible to let the other bus pass.  However, it seems to be traditionally a bus route, as seen by the remains of this ancient bus stop sign.

Edited for clarity.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on September 09, 2019, 02:31:34 PM

That is an amazing sign. I wonder why it says "Aurora" rather than Washington.

Aurora Avenue was the route of US 99, current SR 99.

US 89

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 11, 2019, 11:38:20 PM

But that space in the US shield was normally occupied by the state name.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: US 89 on September 11, 2019, 11:41:34 PM

But it does go over the George Washington Bridge, a name which no one uses.

mrsman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 12, 2019, 11:28:52 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 11, 2019, 11:41:34 PM

But it does go over the George Washington Bridge, a name which no one uses.

Keep in mind, while shaped like an official US shield, the neon sign is not an official sign.  It is done, as mentioned earlier, to direct traffic based on conditions.

For old technology, this was the form of changeable message sign that they had.  Basically, it can change to guide traffic either striaght or to the right, depending on condtions, like perhaps if a drawbridge were open.  Locals probably referred to the stretch to the north as Aurora, the local street name.  Non-locals would probably follow the highway number.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the normal routing of US 99 through Downtown Seattle was at the time?  I presume this was before construction of the viaduct.

I found this map on David Rumsey from 1956. 

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212302~5500344:Shell-Street-Map-of-Seattle-;JSESSIONID=e115ceef-bdb0-4007-8288-500a351e30b5?showTipAdvancedSearch=false&showShareIIIFLink=true&showTip=false&helpUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fdoc.lunaimaging.com%2Fdisplay%2FV74D%2FLUNA%2BViewer%23LUNAViewer-LUNAViewer&title=Search+Results%3A+List_No+equal+to+%275840.167%27&fullTextSearchChecked=&dateRangeSearchChecked=&advancedSearchUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fdoc.lunaimaging.com%2Fdisplay%2FV74D%2FSearching%23Searching-Searching&thumbnailViewUrlKey=link.view.search.url

It indicates that 99 went along 4th Ave - Westlake- 7th Ave - Aurora.  But I have no clue as to what way it went if it did not take Westlake.  Presumably, 4th Ave to Wall to Aurora.  Again, any answers are appreciated.

Kniwt

Today at the US 95 entrance to the Nevada National Security Site (aka "Area 51"):

I saw no demonstrators (or "stormers"), but the guards were everywhere ... and were, let's just say, not too friendly. ;)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

someperson

I've always thought the Katy Tollway shields here in the Houston area look terrible:
https://goo.gl/maps/ZmhJjA5fsBMWhYaE6
https://goo.gl/maps/CMpH3PXvZxF1XtMp9

I also miss the purple signs on the Westpark Tollway (they've since been replaced with green signs):
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/westpark-tollway-tx/

mrsman

Quote from: Kniwt on September 14, 2019, 02:43:01 PM
Today at the US 95 entrance to the Nevada National Security Site (aka "Area 51"):

I saw no demonstrators (or "stormers"), but the guards were everywhere ... and were, let's just say, not too friendly. ;)

I would assume that the speed restriction is only when the yellow light is flashing.  most days, no protestors so traffic is normal.

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

zzyzx

Of all the things to find on my walk, I would have never expected to see a wild mini CA exit gore sign at the Woodbridge Community Center in Irvine:

iPhone

mapman1071

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2019, 11:37:21 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2019, 05:44:03 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 06, 2019, 12:56:33 PM
I think this is an interesting sign, so I'm posting it here.
I noticed the provision for this type of sign in the MUTCD before one was ever put into practice, wondering about the type of scenario that could put one to good use.  This is for eastbound cars on the main east-west street accessing downtown Plainfield, as it rises to pass over I-55.  Immediately after the crest is a right turn onto an eastern frontage road to I-55.  Eastbound cars can have a hard time anticipating traffic coming from the right (GSV).

We'd need hundreds of those signs in Seattle alone. Lots of weird things happen when you force a grid on a glacier-sculpted hillside.

The worst situation seems to be when driving along single-track neighborhood streets (with parking along either side), and you come to the crest of a hill. Best advice is to roll down the window and listen for other cars. Seems dangerous, but the roads aren't well-trafficked, and the narrowness of the street keeps traffic speeds low.

But you're right. You'd need an insane number of these signs. They're not used already, I suspect, because drivers are expected to watch for this already.

Actually, the "Hill Blocks View" sign isn't to be used in Washington at all since it is deleted in Washington's MUTCD modifications: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=468-95-125 I believe the reasoning for this was along the lines of what you guys said about too many signs being needed and drivers being expected to know this already, as well as potential liability issues if some hills had the sign posted and others didn't.

That being said, I do know of at least one place where that sign has been posted, on this road in unincorporated Snohomish County: https://goo.gl/maps/eUr6fMxXmNs1qHxw9.

As for my own interesting sign, I like this one where WSDOT decided to just draw a map of the the downgrade on US 2 as it approaches the Columbia River https://goo.gl/maps/Et27PNZTEDCY39nc6.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There's a "Hill Blocks View" sign on KY 163 in Edmonton, just south of US 68.

Wouldn't "Limited Sight Distance," which I've also seen, be just as appropriate?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

The SR 102 interchange at I-84 in Tremonton, Utah features a few examples of both types, which I found strange at the time because the geometry of this bridge isn't really all that different from others in the area which lack the signs. Perhaps the signs are posted because of a comparatively higher crash rate.

formulanone

Not sure why this school zone sign is mounted so high up; there wasn't a hill just before this part of US 31W in Horse Cave, Kentucky:

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2019, 07:48:09 PMThere's a "Hill Blocks View" sign on KY 163 in Edmonton, just south of US 68.

Wouldn't "Limited Sight Distance," which I've also seen, be just as appropriate?

"Limited Sight Distance" has been used in the past by multiple jurisdictions.  Now that "Hill Blocks View" is actually in the MUTCD (as of the 2009 edition at least), I don't think "Limited Sight Distance" can be used anymore since the get-out clause that allows custom text message signs applies only to situations for which the MUTCD does not already have a sign.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2019, 04:59:36 AM
Not sure why this school zone sign is mounted so high up; there wasn't a hill just before this part of US 31W in Horse Cave, Kentucky:

Somebody was high when they put up that sign.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2019, 07:48:09 PM
There's a "Hill Blocks View" sign on KY 163 in Edmonton, just south of US 68.

US 301 in Waldo, FL has one heading up the bridge over the CSX tracks and EB FL 24.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Fs1vBbCHSaBSZFgs6
NO RE-ENTRY TO BRIDGE is odd because you can real easily get off at US 9W and get back on to the freeway leading to the George Washington Bridge.

Sheryl Crowe

stevashe

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2019, 10:09:21 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Fs1vBbCHSaBSZFgs6
NO RE-ENTRY TO BRIDGE is odd because you can real easily get off at US 9W and get back on to the freeway leading to the George Washington Bridge.

I think the intent of that sign may be to prohibit re-entering to the bridge as opposed to being a warning that it isn't possible, though in that case it should be on a white background, not yellow.
Next sign up gets the colors right though: https://goo.gl/maps/xQgFyPPVMzZxX9GZ8

formulanone

Quote from: wxfree on September 17, 2019, 06:05:12 PM

I suppose the sign won't become obscured by weeds.

JoePCool14

Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2019, 07:09:39 AM

A reason to excuse poor maintenance, makes sense to me.  ;-)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 18, 2019, 08:55:07 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2019, 07:09:39 AM

A reason to excuse poor maintenance, makes sense to me.  ;-)

woosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.