News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 27, 2015, 10:52:58 AM
This design is going to cause weaving problems between the service interchange with US 62 and the left-hand exit.
They'll probably direct traffic to take US 62 west to the Purchase.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thefro

Contract awarded to resign the Pennyrile Parkway as I-69
http://www.courierpress.com/gleaner/columnists/chuck-stinnett/c-stinnett-state-awards-i69-sign-contract-fazolis-remodeling-starts_25107190

QuoteFurther evidence that Interstate 69 is on its way to Henderson: The state has awarded a contract to install I-69 shields and related signs along nearly 41 miles of what's now the Pennyrile Parkway from just south of Henderson to southern Hopkins County.

That Pennyrile is being upgraded to interstate standards from here to the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange near Nortonville so it can be turned into I-69 later this year.

But it wouldn't be an interstate without interstate signs.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet awarded a $3.2 million contract to install new shields, overhead signs, interstate mile markers and other signs from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass just south of Henderson to near the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange in southern Hopkins County near Nortonville.

The "primary completion date" for the I-69 sign project is Oct. 15.

The contract was awarded last week to low bidder Eden Fence Inc. of Elizabethtown.

It's not certain when the public will see the I-69 shields on the Pennyrile. "The (state) engineer will advise the contractor when the signs may be displayed," according to the state's official project proposal said.

"The contractor is advised that no signs depicting the change in designation of the (Pennyrile) Parkway to I-69 will be displayed prior to the contract award of the Morton's Gap interchange project" south of Madisonville, the document states.

The contract to reconstruct that interchange is scheduled to be let on May 29.

Grzrd

Quote from: thefro on April 05, 2015, 08:20:47 AM
http://www.courierpress.com/gleaner/columnists/chuck-stinnett/c-stinnett-state-awards-i69-sign-contract-fazolis-remodeling-starts_25107190
... The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet awarded a $3.2 million contract to install new shields, overhead signs, interstate mile markers and other signs from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass just south of Henderson to near the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange in southern Hopkins County near Nortonville.

This article reports that, with I-69 having its temporary terminus at the KY 425/South Bypass interchange, and with the Pennyrile ending 40 miles south in Hopkins County, the northern three miles of the current Pennyrile will be redesignated as US 41 and the current stretch of US 41 South from south of KY 351 to KY 425 will be redesignated as KY 2084:

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is proposing to reroute – at least on paper and signs – more than two miles of U.S. 41-South in Henderson, redesignating that stretch as Kentucky 2084, according to state documents reviewed by The Gleaner.
The proposed change – which has to do with Interstate 69 – would affect U.S. 41-South from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass north to at least Kentucky 812/Airline Road/Outer Clay Street
All this relates to the effort to bring I-69 north up the Pennyrile Parkway from southern Hopkins County later this year. Tens of millions of dollars are being spent to upgrade the parkway to interstate standards, including a $3.2 million contract awarded last week for installing I-69 shields, mile markers and other signs along almost 41 miles of parkway, which would cease being part of the Pennyrile.
The Gleaner's review of the project proposal for that sign work revealed that the Kentucky Transportation intends for I-69 to terminate at what is now the Pennyrile interchange with the Kentucky 425/South Bypass south of Henderson.
State highway officials weren't available for comment on Monday, pending a planned announcement by the governor's office.
But it's likely that the interstate designation for the four-lane highway will stop there because the state isn't sure where I-69 will go from there. The original proposal had been for I-69 to split off from the existing roadway near Kentucky 425 and extend north, crossing the Audubon Parkway, Kentucky 351 and U.S. 60-East a few miles east of Henderson before crossing the Ohio River on a new bridge.
However, the bridge project is in limbo. Kentucky doesn't know where it will find the money – once estimated at $1.4 billion – to pay for so many miles of new four-lane highway in addition to its share of the bridge.
With progress on the bridge and approaches largely stalled, the Henderson-Evansville I-69 advocacy group BridgeLink last July proposed tying I-69 into what's known locally as the U.S. 41-Bypass (although officially it's simply U.S. 41). That, along with a proposal to build a four-lane bridge instead of the six-lane span that was originally proposed, could reduce the cost of the project to approximately $800 million, Henderson Mayor Steve Austin said in announcing the July proposal.
But the Federal Highway Administration hasn't ruled on what route I-69 will take past Henderson, perhaps prompting the state to "stop" the interstate at Kentucky 425 south of town.
But that creates a dilemma: What will the three miles of four-lane north of Kentucky 425 be labeled?
It won't I-69, at least for now, and it won't be the Pennyrile; the parkway will officially end 40 miles south in Hopkins County.
The state's proposed solution is to extend the U.S. 41 designation south three miles to where the I-69 designation will end at Kentucky 425.
U.S. 41 would then exit the four-lane highway at that interchange, running west a short distance to reconnect with U.S. 41-South
, just south of the state police post.
That has prompted the state to propose renaming, to Kentucky 2084, the two-lane section of existing U.S. 41-South that lies south of Outer Second Street/Kentucky 351 ....
When the Pennyrile Parkway was built in the late 1960s, it ran directly into the end of what locals call the U.S. 41-Bypass just south of Zion Road.
Motorists in the city still needed to reach U.S. 41-South, including by turning south from Outer Second Street.
What few Henderson residents might know is that the first mile or so of that roadway, from Palmer's to somewhere near Airline Road, is designated by the state as Kentucky 2084, though it's not marked by highway or street signs.
But sometime later this year, Kentucky 2084 signs just might appear on what's now U.S. 41-South.

silverback1065

Quote from: Grzrd on April 06, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
... The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet awarded a $3.2 million contract to install new shields, overhead signs, interstate mile markers and other signs from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass just south of Henderson to near the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange in southern Hopkins County near Nortonville.

This article reports that, with I-69 having its temporary terminus at the KY 425/South Bypass interchange, and with the Pennyrile ending 40 miles south in Hopkins County, the northern three miles of the current Pennyrile will be redesignated as US 41 and the current stretch of US 41 South from south of KY 351 to KY 425 will be redesignated as KY 2084:

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is proposing to reroute – at least on paper and signs – more than two miles of U.S. 41-South in Henderson, redesignating that stretch as Kentucky 2084, according to state documents reviewed by The Gleaner.
The proposed change – which has to do with Interstate 69 – would affect U.S. 41-South from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass north to at least Kentucky 812/Airline Road/Outer Clay Street
All this relates to the effort to bring I-69 north up the Pennyrile Parkway from southern Hopkins County later this year. Tens of millions of dollars are being spent to upgrade the parkway to interstate standards, including a $3.2 million contract awarded last week for installing I-69 shields, mile markers and other signs along almost 41 miles of parkway, which would cease being part of the Pennyrile.
The Gleaner's review of the project proposal for that sign work revealed that the Kentucky Transportation intends for I-69 to terminate at what is now the Pennyrile interchange with the Kentucky 425/South Bypass south of Henderson.
State highway officials weren't available for comment on Monday, pending a planned announcement by the governor's office.
But it's likely that the interstate designation for the four-lane highway will stop there because the state isn't sure where I-69 will go from there. The original proposal had been for I-69 to split off from the existing roadway near Kentucky 425 and extend north, crossing the Audubon Parkway, Kentucky 351 and U.S. 60-East a few miles east of Henderson before crossing the Ohio River on a new bridge.
However, the bridge project is in limbo. Kentucky doesn't know where it will find the money – once estimated at $1.4 billion – to pay for so many miles of new four-lane highway in addition to its share of the bridge.
With progress on the bridge and approaches largely stalled, the Henderson-Evansville I-69 advocacy group BridgeLink last July proposed tying I-69 into what's known locally as the U.S. 41-Bypass (although officially it's simply U.S. 41). That, along with a proposal to build a four-lane bridge instead of the six-lane span that was originally proposed, could reduce the cost of the project to approximately $800 million, Henderson Mayor Steve Austin said in announcing the July proposal.
But the Federal Highway Administration hasn't ruled on what route I-69 will take past Henderson, perhaps prompting the state to "stop" the interstate at Kentucky 425 south of town.
But that creates a dilemma: What will the three miles of four-lane north of Kentucky 425 be labeled?
It won't I-69, at least for now, and it won't be the Pennyrile; the parkway will officially end 40 miles south in Hopkins County.
The state's proposed solution is to extend the U.S. 41 designation south three miles to where the I-69 designation will end at Kentucky 425.
U.S. 41 would then exit the four-lane highway at that interchange, running west a short distance to reconnect with U.S. 41-South
, just south of the state police post.
That has prompted the state to propose renaming, to Kentucky 2084, the two-lane section of existing U.S. 41-South that lies south of Outer Second Street/Kentucky 351 ....
When the Pennyrile Parkway was built in the late 1960s, it ran directly into the end of what locals call the U.S. 41-Bypass just south of Zion Road.
Motorists in the city still needed to reach U.S. 41-South, including by turning south from Outer Second Street.
What few Henderson residents might know is that the first mile or so of that roadway, from Palmer's to somewhere near Airline Road, is designated by the state as Kentucky 2084, though it's not marked by highway or street signs.
But sometime later this year, Kentucky 2084 signs just might appear on what's now U.S. 41-South.

Why cant they just sign it as kentucky 425? or kentucky x41? could this mean that 41 could be cosigned from i-64 to the split south of henderson (in the future when the bridge is built)? 

dfwmapper

The whole point of the change is that they want the Interstate to continue on as a US route, not a state route. Much better for continuity to post a "To I-69 North - Evansville/Indianapolis use US 41" sign than it would be to have it run over multiple routes. US 41 won't be cosigned over any eventual new routing because there's no reason to do that, and it certainly won't happen if the new crossing is tolled.

Grzrd

Meanwhile, in regard to the Purchase Parkway, this TV video reports that a KYTC official "said we should see all signs change along the Purchase Parkway to I-69 by the end of this year":

A local community is excited about a possible boom in business. Interstate 69 has been in the works for more than 20 years, and now construction to extend it through Graves and Marshall counties starts this week.
I-69 will extend southward along the Julian-Carroll-Jackson Parkway near Mayfield, extending northward toward the I-24 interchange near Calvert City. ....
Keith Todd with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet said crews couldn't start work Monday as planned because of weather.
Weather permitting, they hope to start on the ramps near U.S. 45 sometime this week. The 30 mile stretch is an $8.08 million project the cabinet hopes to finish by October 15. Todd said we should see all signs change along the Purchase Parkway to I-69 by the end of this year.

Grzrd

An April 22, 2015 state-by-state status updates presented to the I-69 Congressional Caucus PowerPoint (linked on this page) includes a slide that provides an update on I-69 progress in Kentucky with particular emphasis on interchange improvements (slide 37/54). 

In the progress report, the Purchase Parkway/ Mayfield Bypass interchange is described as "Future project (not included in approved plan)".  I assume this description of the project means that completion of it is not necessary for the Purchase Parkway to be designated as I-69.

hbelkins

"Flop interchange?" That's a folded diamond, and I wonder why it has to be converted to a diamond. There's a truck stop in the NE quadrant that looks problematic to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lordsutch

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2015, 11:56:37 AM
"Flop interchange?" That's a folded diamond, and I wonder why it has to be converted to a diamond. There's a truck stop in the NE quadrant that looks problematic to me.

Looking at Google Maps, the biggest issue seems to be the lack of deceleration and acceleration lanes to/from the loop ramps. It's almost certainly cheaper to convert the interchange to a standard diamond (perhaps with tight ramps on the north side) rather than widening the overpass bridges to include both shoulders and accel/decel space.

And it looks like there's plenty of space on the NE quadrant for a straight ramp.

thefro

The PDF Grzrd posted in the I-69 in Texas thread also had approvals from AASHTO for upgrading both parkways to I-69

http://route.transportation.org/Documents/05%2014%202015%20Cheyenne,%20WY%20Report/SM%202015%20USRN%20SCOH%20REPORT.pdf

I-69 will run from the KY 166 interchange in Fulton in the South to the KY 425 interchange just south of Henderson

hbelkins

^^^ In other words, from the state line, since that exit is right on the state line.

Why not extend it to the interchange of US 51, US 45, US 45E and US 45W?

mvak36

Does this mean they can sign the parkways as I-69 once the improvement projects are done? What is the timeline for the projects, BTW?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

silverback1065

have they redone that weird interchange with bypass us 45 in mayfield?

lordsutch

Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2015, 12:59:42 PM
Why not extend it to the interchange of US 51, US 45, US 45E and US 45W?

Because that's in Tennessee, and Kentucky can't apply for interstate designations for roads in other states.

A slightly more serious answer: my guess is FHWA wouldn't approve that I-69 designation until TDOT shows them some environmental paperwork and an LRTP entry for reconstructing the interchange to make I-69 the through movement; back when TDOT did the environmental work on SIU 7, they punted the interchange work (they thought they'd need to coordinate it with KYTC's SIU 6 work), so there's no plans whatsoever for it. And Kentucky seems to have basically forgotten that they were going to work with TDOT on it as part of SIU 6.

hbelkins

Quote from: mvak36 on June 01, 2015, 02:20:52 PM
Does this mean they can sign the parkways as I-69 once the improvement projects are done?

Yes, and FHWA has already given approval for it. Still don't know why interstate designations need to go through AASHTO since it's FHWA that makes the decisions on what can and what can't be an interstate.

mvak36

Quote from: hbelkins on June 02, 2015, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on June 01, 2015, 02:20:52 PM
Does this mean they can sign the parkways as I-69 once the improvement projects are done?

Yes, and FHWA has already given approval for it. Still don't know why interstate designations need to go through AASHTO since it's FHWA that makes the decisions on what can and what can't be an interstate.

Will both of those projects be completed by the end of the year?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

Kentucky has it easy with its portion of Interstate 69, since it mostly follows existing roads.

Henry

And once the bridge into IN and the remaining missing sections in the Hoosier state are built, it'll be a continuous drive from at least the TN state line to Indianapolis!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

This June 12 KYTC Press Release announces the award of a contract to upgrade the Mortons Gap interchange:

Governor Steve Beshear today announced the award of a contract for more of the improvements needed to bring the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway up to interstate highway standards and eventual designation as Interstate 69.
The project involves reconstruction of the interchange at Mortons Gap in Hopkins. The existing interchange will be converted to a diamond interchange to accommodate traffic moving at modern highway speeds. Road Builders LLC was awarded the contract on a low bid of $14.04 million. The project has a completion date of June 1, 2017. The project area covers about 1 mile.
"This is another important step in the I-69 Corridor project through western Kentucky,"  Gov. Beshear said. "It will result in an interchange that meets federal interstate standards and get us even closer to completion."  ....
One of the main challenges of the I-69 project has been the need to rebuild interchanges that were designed to accommodate drivers who were slowing and stopping at toll plazas — as opposed to merging with or exiting from 70 mph interstate traffic. The Mortons Gap interchange was among nine targeted for reconstruction. Five other interchanges are completed or under construction.

This TV video includes footage of the current Mortons Gap interchange.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins^^^ In other words, from the state line, since that exit is right on the state line.

Only the northbound off-ramp, and that's still a couple blocks in.  The other interchange ramps range from 2/5 to 3/4 mile north of the state line.  It should also be noted that the KY 166 underpass is almost a mile north of the state line, and it's possible they're using that as the "interchange point".

QuoteYes, and FHWA has already given approval for it. Still don't know why interstate designations need to go through AASHTO since it's FHWA that makes the decisions on what can and what can't be an interstate.

As a general rule, FHWA defers to AASHTO for route number approval.  FHWA has final approval on when segments are actually added to the Interstate system.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: Grzrd on November 09, 2010, 09:32:46 AM
KYTC has completed a scoping study of I-69 from Eddyville to Fulton and will hold an informational meeting in Mayfield on Nov. 15 from 5:30 to 7:30: http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News/Local---Regional/Western-Kentucky/Transportation-Cabinet-to-Share-I-69-Study-Nov--15

Materials from that meeting will be available for 15 days after meeting in Paducah.  Looks like I-69 upgrades will be phased in gradually as maintenance projects.  Anticipated cost of upgrades: $1.5 million per mile.
Scoping? Any Moms involved?

Avalanchez71

QuoteFurther evidence that Interstate 69 is on its way to Henderson: The state has awarded a contract to install I-69 shields and related signs along nearly 41 miles of what's now the Pennyrile Parkway from just south of Henderson to southern Hopkins County.

That Pennyrile is being upgraded to interstate standards from here to the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange near Nortonville so it can be turned into I-69 later this year.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet awarded a $3.2 million contract to install new shields, overhead signs, interstate mile markers and other signs from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass just south of Henderson to near the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange in southern Hopkins County near Nortonville.

The contract was awarded last week to low bidder Eden Fence Inc. of Elizabethtown.

It's not certain when the public will see the I-69 shields on the Pennyrile. "The (state) engineer will advise the contractor when the signs may be displayed," according to the state's official project proposal said.

"The contractor is advised that no signs depicting the change in designation of the (Pennyrile) Parkway to I-69 will be displayed prior to the contract award of the Morton's Gap interchange project" south of Madisonville, the document states.

$3.2 million dollars just to put up I-69 signs.  Wow, I am sure if the average Kentuckian knew this they would like these dollars used elsewhere.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 17, 2015, 01:03:22 PM

$3.2 million dollars just to put up I-69 signs.  Wow, I am sure if the average Kentuckian knew this they would like these dollars used elsewhere.
Bgs's aren't cheap, I've seen some as high as $5,000. They're worth it though they last for a long time.

hbelkins

They'll be replacing all the guide signs on the mainline, plus I-69 markers on the intersecting routes, if what was done on the Western Kentucky Parkway is any indication.

But as far as just replacing signs go, this is a more worthwhile expenditure than was the arbitrary changing of the state's parkway route markers from the previous designs to the current design.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2015, 01:47:01 PM
They'll be replacing all the guide signs on the mainline, plus I-69 markers on the intersecting routes, if what was done on the Western Kentucky Parkway is any indication.

But as far as just replacing signs go, this is a more worthwhile expenditure than was the arbitrary changing of the state's parkway route markers from the previous designs to the current design.
I will agree with this statement.  Nothing was wrong with the Green River Parkway, Bluegrass Parkway, Cumberland Parkway, or Pennyrile Parkway.  What was the justification for the changes anyway?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.