News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 17, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
I will agree with this statement.  Nothing was wrong with the Green River Parkway, Bluegrass Parkway, Cumberland Parkway, or Pennyrile Parkway.  What was the justification for the changes anyway?

Trying to get maximum exposure for the new "Kentucky Unbridled Spirit" logo. At least that's what I suspect. I don't know if an official reason was ever released. One of the few things the previous administration did with which I disagreed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bob7374

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 17, 2015, 01:14:10 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 17, 2015, 01:03:22 PM
Quote from: thefro on April 05, 2015, 08:20:47 AM
Contract awarded to resign the Pennyrile Parkway as I-69
http://www.courierpress.com/gleaner/columnists/chuck-stinnett/c-stinnett-state-awards-i69-sign-contract-fazolis-remodeling-starts_25107190

QuoteFurther evidence that Interstate 69 is on its way to Henderson: The state has awarded a contract to install I-69 shields and related signs along nearly 41 miles of what's now the Pennyrile Parkway from just south of Henderson to southern Hopkins County.

That Pennyrile is being upgraded to interstate standards from here to the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange near Nortonville so it can be turned into I-69 later this year.

But it wouldn't be an interstate without interstate signs.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet awarded a $3.2 million contract to install new shields, overhead signs, interstate mile markers and other signs from the Kentucky 425/South Bypass just south of Henderson to near the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway interchange in southern Hopkins County near Nortonville.

The "primary completion date" for the I-69 sign project is Oct. 15.

The contract was awarded last week to low bidder Eden Fence Inc. of Elizabethtown.

It's not certain when the public will see the I-69 shields on the Pennyrile. "The (state) engineer will advise the contractor when the signs may be displayed," according to the state's official project proposal said.

"The contractor is advised that no signs depicting the change in designation of the (Pennyrile) Parkway to I-69 will be displayed prior to the contract award of the Morton's Gap interchange project" south of Madisonville, the document states.

The contract to reconstruct that interchange is scheduled to be let on May 29.

$3.2 million dollars just to put up I-69 signs.  Wow, I am sure if the average Kentuckian knew this they would like these dollars used elsewhere.
Bgs's aren't cheap, I've seen some as high as $5,000. They're worth it though they last for a long time.

You can check out the sign plans here:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Construction-Procurement/Proposals/200-HENDERSON-HOPKINS-WEBSTER-15-1207.pdf

codyg1985

Interesting that there aren't many southbound mileage signs, and the control city is Fulton, KY. I guess for now that makes sense, but Memphis may be a better fit if/when I-69 gets completed to Memphis. Northbound, I would rather see Evansville, but Henderson works, too.

Also, it is interesting that continuing onto US 41 (which I guess is now relocated or will be relocated onto the Pennyrille at KY 425) will be signed as a left exit. I guess at this point I-69 will eventually diverge off of the Pennyrille onto a new alignment to the Ohio River?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 17, 2015, 06:26:29 PM
Interesting that there aren't many southbound mileage signs, and the control city is Fulton, KY. I guess for now that makes sense, but Memphis may be a better fit if/when I-69 gets completed to Memphis. Northbound, I would rather see Evansville, but Henderson works, too.

Apparently they got their control city namer from Mississippi DOT. Fulton might actually out-Picayune Picayune; even as-is, Dyersburg (or even Paducah) makes more sense than Fulton.

The US 41 exit numbering is odd too; it seems like it is based on US 41's mileage in the county, which I don't think is consistent with the MUTCD rules. Plus, if it is based on US 41's mileage, US 41 manages to exit from itself southbound.  This is one case I think either continuing the I-69 numbering for now, or omitting exit numbers, would have been more sensible. Or moving US 60 onto KY 425 and the Pennyrile and using its statewide mileage instead.

hbelkins

Quote from: bob7374 on June 17, 2015, 05:52:08 PM

You can check out the sign plans here:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Construction-Procurement/Proposals/200-HENDERSON-HOPKINS-WEBSTER-15-1207.pdf

Interesting that they'd put the sign plans in the proposal. Usually the proposals are just broad overviews of the project, special wage or environmental concerns, etc.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: lordsutch on June 17, 2015, 06:39:26 PM
The US 41 exit numbering is odd too; it seems like it is based on US 41's mileage in the county, which I don't think is consistent with the MUTCD rules. Plus, if it is based on US 41's mileage, US 41 manages to exit from itself southbound.  This is one case I think either continuing the I-69 numbering for now, or omitting exit numbers, would have been more sensible. Or moving US 60 onto KY 425 and the Pennyrile and using its statewide mileage instead.

That's exactly what it's based upon. It's just how KYTC does things, although why they do it that way, I don't know.

codyg1985

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 17, 2015, 11:44:40 PM

That's exactly what it's based upon. It's just how KYTC does things, although why they do it that way, I don't know.

KYTC has done exit numbering like this along US 23 in Pikeville as well.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 18, 2015, 07:20:17 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 17, 2015, 11:44:40 PM

KYTC has done exit numbering like this along US 23 in Pikeville as well.

Also the Owensboro bypass. They changed the exit numbers to reflect US 60's mileage after 60 was routed out of downtown. Kentucky resets mile markers at the county line for all roads except the parkways and interstates.

What I found interesting in the sign plans was the use of "Left Exit..." for the straight movements.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

Pete from Boston

I noticed this week that the Pennyrile has bases for new sign gantries up and down the 69 portions.

I also noticed when taking Exit 11 off the Pennyrile in Hopkinsville (KY 1682) that it has painfully tight tolerances for a vehicle coming from freeway speeds.  Was this part of the new extension, ir an old remnant?

okroads

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 17, 2015, 10:32:20 AM
I also noticed when taking Exit 11 off the Pennyrile in Hopkinsville (KY 1682) that it has painfully tight tolerances for a vehicle coming from freeway speeds.  Was this part of the new extension, ir an old remnant?

I'm guessing a toll plaza used to be underneath KY 1682 before the parkway was made toll-free. There are several interchanges along turnpikes in Oklahoma which look just like this one (ie. Indian Nation Turnpike @ OK 3 in Antlers: https://goo.gl/maps/EiieE ), but there are toll plazas at each one of those. And I believe the fairly new extension starts at ALT U.S. 41 (Exit 7) and goes south from there to I-24.

noelbotevera

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 17, 2015, 06:26:29 PM

Apparently they got their control city namer from Mississippi DOT. Fulton might actually out-Picayune Picayune; even as-is, Dyersburg (or even Paducah) makes more sense than Fulton.

A good control city would be Nashville and Memphis - there's really nothing on I-69 in KY.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hbelkins

Fulton is already the end of the Purchase Parkway, and Kentucky will have its portion of I-69 done long before Tennessee, so that's probably why they're using Fulton instead of a Tennessee city.

thefro

http://surfky.com/index.php/communities/hopkins/175-top-news-for-all-sites-touching-pennyrile-pkwy/63668-kytc-chief-engineer-offers-updates-insidghts-on-i69-area-projects

QuoteInterstate 69 is well underway, McClearn said, with upgrades to the exchanges and other improvements as well as Federal Highway Administration approval to change the Pennyrile Parkway to interstate highway status.

"An interstate (highway) is recognized across the nation,"  he said. "We're really almost 95 percent there. We will have Interstate 69 out here real soon."

McClearn said 58 miles of the Western Kentucky Parkway have been designated as I69.

In the Dawson Springs area, the larger mile point numbers are in place and mile markers headed north will subsequently be changed to reflect the higher mile numbers, he said.

"They will be I69 exit numbers,"  said McClearn. "And, that progression will follow because you'll stay on I69 as you come out of Henderson and you head south to the Dawson Springs and Lakes area; actually, to I24."

bmeiser

How can you be "almost 95 percent there"?  :-D

silverback1065

Kentucky is by far the luckiest of all the states that are along the 69 route.

thefro

http://surfky.com/index.php/communities/hopkins/51-top-news-kentucky/65941-pennyrile-parkway-exit-numbers-changing-over-to-i-69

QuoteMADISONVILLE,  Ky. (10/23/15) —  A contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District has started transitioning exit numbers along a 40-plus mile section of the Breathitt-Pennyrile Parkway to new exit numbers for Interstate 69.

While a switch to the official Interstate 69 designation is still weeks away, District 2 Chief Engineer Kevin McClearn says the volume of signs that have to go up requires signage to be changed out in phases over the next month or two.

Interchange numbers are determined by the official mile point at which they are located, and since the roadway will drop its association with the Pennyrile Parkway designation, the exit numbers will change to appropriately match I-69 mile points from Mortons Gap to Henderson.  The first indicator of that transition is new panels indicating the I-69 exit numbers that started going up this week.

QuoteThe transition to I-69 will bring the following shift in exit numbers along the Pennyrile:

KY 813 Mortons Gap Exit 37 to Exit 108 (To Change when Interchange Construction is Completed)
KY 2171/KY 336 Earlington/Madisonville Exit 40 to Exit 111
KY 70 Madisonville/Central City Exit 42 to Exit 114
KY 281 Madisonville/Providence Exit 44 to Exit 116
U.S. 41 North Madisonville Exit 45 to Exit 117
KY 260 Hanson Exit 49 to Exit 120
KY 136 Calhoun/Dixon Exit 54 to Exit 125
KY 56 Sebree/Owensboro Exit 63 to Exit 134
KY 416 Robards/Niagara Exit 68 to Exit 140
KY 425 Henderson Bypass Exit 76 to Exit 148 Northbound

Northbound panel signs with the new exit numbers have been installed from the KY 2171/KY 336 Earlington/Madisonville Exit to the KY 260 Hanson Exit.  Again, the smaller exit number signs at the end of the ramp will continue to have the Pennyrile Parkway exit numbers.

Some exit numbers have also changed in the New Interstate 69/Pennyrile Parkway Interchange at Nortonville.  Exit 106-B that formerly went to Madisonville now carries traffic to the Western Kentucky Parkway eastbound lanes to Elizabethtown and I-69 traffic continues northward toward Henderson and Madisonville without having to make an exit.  Exit 106-A continues to carry traffic to the southbound lanes of the Pennyrile toward Hopkinsville.

A $3.23 million contract to construct and place signs in Henderson, Hopkins and Webster counties was awarded to Eden Fence Inc.  The contract is to extend I-69 signage along the former Edward T. Breathitt-Pennyrile Parkway from mile point 35.6 in Hopkins County to the KY 425 Henderson Bypass at Exit 76. The contract includes updating signage along U.S. 41 and other nearby highways that now direct traffic to the parkway. It will include changing mile markers and exit numbers to reflect I-69 mileage.

The contract also includes rerouting a section of U.S. 41 at Henderson to replace a short section of the Pennyrile Parkway between the Henderson Bypass and the end of the parkway.  The KY 2084 Connector from KY 351 will be extended southward to provide a replacement route number for section of U.S. 41 being moved over to the Pennyrile.

McClearn said once all of the 10 major I-69 contracts totaling $260 million in upgrades are either completed or under construction, he expects FHWA to allow Kentucky to move ahead official Interstate 69 shields along the route.  For the northern leg of the Pennyrile Parkway, the familiar red, white and blue shields could be up in late-November.

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 20, 2015, 08:52:22 PM
That's because most of the route has already been built, albeit as a series of parkways. I seriously doubt that when they were first built, anyone in their right mind would have guessed that they would one day be a part of the Interstate system. And now, I-69 will follow them, with the Ohio River bridges as the missing link between Evansville and Owensboro.

Speaking of the bridges, it's a guessing game between them and the Bloomington-Indianapolis link as to which will be completed first.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

I would say Bloomington-Indianapolis.  As of right now, there doesn't seem to be much more than talk with the bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 41

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2015, 01:00:06 PM
That's because most of the route has already been built, albeit as a series of parkways. I seriously doubt that when they were first built, anyone in their right mind would have guessed that they would one day be a part of the Interstate system. And now, I-69 will follow them, with the Ohio River bridges as the missing link between Evansville and Owensboro.

Speaking of the bridges, it's a guessing game between them and the Bloomington-Indianapolis link as to which will be completed first.

I honestly think there is a 50/50 chance that the US 41 bridges will end up being used long term as the I-69 bridges.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on October 27, 2015, 08:48:46 PM

I honestly think there is a 50/50 chance that the US 41 bridges will end up being used long term as the I-69 bridges.
That's highly likely. They could just slap some "to i-69" shields next to all the US 41 shields.

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2015, 08:50:21 PM
Quote from: US 41 on October 27, 2015, 08:48:46 PM

That's highly likely. They could just slap some "to i-69" shields next to all the US 41 shields.
Or make that section TEMP I-69, 1960s-style!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Wouldn't those bridges need to be upgraded to meet interstate standards?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

andy

Quote from: vdeane on October 28, 2015, 01:08:34 PM
Wouldn't those bridges need to be upgraded to meet interstate standards?

Isn't the bigger and more important challenge going to be getting through downtown Henderson?

hbelkins

It's not actually downtown, but a short commercial strip northeast of downtown. However, in the short term I don't expect the changeover of the parkways to I-69 to cause that much of an increase in traffic.

noelbotevera

Can't they upgrade the US 41 bridge rather than a new one? Just rehab the US 41 bridge and twin it, slap I-69 through it, then boom, I-69 has a bridge. An even easier one is to just simply put I-69 on I-64 and follow it to Kentucky.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.