News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Captain Jack on December 01, 2015, 02:59:43 PM
Not sure what the ribbon cutting was about.

Victory lap for the outgoing governor.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

The I-69 designation currently ends at, I believe, the KY 425 exit. US 41 is being rerouted onto KY 425 and the Pennyrile, so the exit numbers would correspond to US 41's mileage within Henderson County (much as the exit numbers on the Owensboro bypass were changed to reflect US 60's mileage when it was rerouted out of downtown.) Remember that on non-interstate or parkway routes, Kentucky's mile markers reset at the county line.

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2015, 10:38:07 PMRemember that on non-interstate or parkway routes, Kentucky's mile markers reset at the county line.
I did wonder why the exit numbers were so low given that they were based off US41.
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 01, 2015, 08:47:05 PMI thought the ultimate plan was that 69 will branch off closer to the commercial strip in Henderson. That is north of the Audubon Parkway.  Are they just stopping at the Audubon Parkway until further plans are finalized?
The plan was (at least what was drawn on OSM) to branch off at KY425/FutUS41 and bypass the town a little bit further east than you were thinking. Arguably this is still the plan, as there's no reason why KY425 to the Audubon Pkwy wasn't also made a full part of I-69 if it would become I-69.

lordsutch

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2015, 06:37:06 PM
I cannot think of any circumstances in which those numbers would make sense.  Are all of them confirmed, or just 10?  The only circumstance I can think of exit 76 becoming 10 is if you numbered them backwards based on US 41.

Based on earlier discussion, they appear to be based on mileage of US 41 within the county (which I don't think conforms to FHWA's exit numbering rules, but whatevs).

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 01, 2015, 08:47:05 PM
I thought the ultimate plan was that 69 will branch off closer to the commercial strip in Henderson. That is north of the Audubon Parkway.  Are they just stopping at the Audubon Parkway until further plans are finalized?

There's no final/ultimate approved plan yet, so they can only base it on the approved routing omitting the urban area routing (SIU 4).

EngineerTM

I just have an open-ended question to see if anyone has any information regarding SIU 6.  The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's home page on I-69 reported that there were four interchanges that would need to be upgraded to interstate standards.  These interchanges are at the I-69/I-24 junction with the Purchase Parkway, exit 43 at Route 348 at Benton, exit 21 in Mayfield, and exit 14 at Route 339 at Wingo.  Google Earth shows construction going on at the Benton Interchange, but the imagery is back from July.  Does anyone have any updates regarding these improvements?  I was also under the impression that the KTC could not re-sign the Purchase Parkway until these improvements were either finished or substantially under construction.  Any updates would be greatly appreciated!

The Ghostbuster

I still think the new numbers on the northern non-Interstate 69 section of the Pennyrile Parkway are kind of goofy. If that part of the parkway is to become part of US 41, why don't they renumber the exits based on the mileage of US 41 from the Tennessee/Kentucky border? Or just leave them alone.

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 10, 2015, 04:57:12 PM
I still think the new numbers on the northern non-Interstate 69 section of the Pennyrile Parkway are kind of goofy. If that part of the parkway is to become part of US 41, why don't they renumber the exits based on the mileage of US 41 from the Tennessee/Kentucky border? Or just leave them alone.

Because Kentucky resets mileage markers for non-interstate or parkway routes at county lines.

halork

So, Google Maps still doesn't have (most of) the Pennyrile marked as I-69. Is the signing in the field progressing?

EngineerTM

Quote from: halork on December 11, 2015, 06:27:59 AM
So, Google Maps still doesn't have (most of) the Pennyrile marked as I-69. Is the signing in the field progressing?

Not only that, but Google Maps presently shows I-69 along the US 41 twin bridges and through Henderson's US 41 commercial strip which is definitely not accurate.  I've also noticed that the roadway identifications shown on Google Maps doesn't always match up with Google Earth.

codyg1985

Quote from: Captain Jack on November 16, 2015, 05:33:50 PM
Quote from: EngineerTM on November 11, 2015, 03:58:21 PM
Just found out that Kentucky will have the official ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Pennyrile Parkway section of I-69 on Monday, November 16th in Madisonville, KY.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event;jsessionid=19DDFEE2099F394A2B7519DBA111CC04.worker_registrant?llr=nx5jb7iab&oeidk=a07ebtme3en33265bff

I hope that I hyperlinked this correctly.  Nice to see this section completed and officially dedicated!  Not sure what the time frame is for the I-69 section that will follow along the Carroll/Purchase Parkway between I-69/I-24 and the Kentucky/Tennessee state line.

At the rate that things are going, I think that we will have I-69 from Michigan to KY/Tenn, and within Texas done well before the remaining states in the middle make any substantial progress.

Is there any progress at all going on in TN? It doesn't seem like with converting a dual-lane and mostly rural highway, along with the benefits to one of the states largest metros, this would have dragged on for so long there. I drove the US 51 route last month, and there is nothing besides the Future Corridor signs.  It's signed from the MS-TN line, and shortly from the KY-TN line, this is really the only large gap left between MS and MI.

Other than work on a Union City bypass, not much at all. Tennessee doesn't have it high on their radar due to funding issues and other needs across the state.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

The Ghostbuster

Isn't there a page on AARoads that says "Google Maps F-ing Sucks. Maybe that's why it isn't shown on that site.

noelbotevera

Hmm, I think they might finish up the Purchase upgrades. This PDF is dated December 2011.

US 41

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 11, 2015, 12:57:45 PM
Other than work on a Union City bypass, not much at all. Tennessee doesn't have it high on their radar due to funding issues and other needs across the state.

A Union City bypass will be a welcome site. Union City is like the speed and red light camera capital of Tennessee. Actually almost all of US 51 in Tennessee has red light cameras. Union City just takes it the extra step with their speed cameras.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

EngineerTM

I recently drove along the Pennyrile, and the progress of the new signage was nowhere as complete as some of the news reports suggested, which may be why Google Maps doesn't show it as I-69.  I estimate that perhaps only a quarter to maybe a third of the work has been done, mostly near the northern and southern limits.  In particular, I observed:

1.  None of the exit signs or mile marker signs have been changed.  Those miles are still reflective of the Pennyrile.  I found this amusing at the locations where new informational signs (giving the I-69 mile marks) were in place next to the exit signs with the original mile marks.

2.   Where the new informational signs were installed, the contractor had not yet removed the old signs.

3.   At many of the original signs, I saw that new steel posts had been installed in front of them, but the sign panels themselves were not yet installed.

4.  Finally, with the exception of the northern and southern ends, there were no I-69 Interstate Shields installed.  Only the Pennyrile Parkway signs were in place.  I was expecting that, at minimum,  the KTC would have had the combined "I-69/former parkway" signs (similar to what they did on the earlier parkway conversion) installed in time for the re-branding and ribbon cutting ceremony.

Overall, it was very disappointing to see how little had been completed.  I didn't think that a signage installation contract should take so long to complete.   This is probably why Google Earth and Google Maps have not updated their information.  However, on the positive side of things, it appeared that most of the bridge railings had been replaced with concrete barrier rails, much of the pavement had been resurfaced, and the new interchange with the Western Parkway looked really nice and provided smooth driving transitions.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: EngineerTM on January 02, 2016, 01:47:37 PM

I recently drove along the Pennyrile, and the progress of the new signage was nowhere as complete as some of the news reports suggested, which may be why Google Maps doesn't show it as I-69.  I estimate that perhaps only a quarter to maybe a third of the work has been done, mostly near the northern and southern limits.  In particular, I observed:

1.  None of the exit signs or mile marker signs have been changed.  Those miles are still reflective of the Pennyrile.  I found this amusing at the locations where new informational signs (giving the I-69 mile marks) were in place next to the exit signs with the original mile marks.

2.   Where the new informational signs were installed, the contractor had not yet removed the old signs.

3.   At many of the original signs, I saw that new steel posts had been installed in front of them, but the sign panels themselves were not yet installed.

4.  Finally, with the exception of the northern and southern ends, there were no I-69 Interstate Shields installed.  Only the Pennyrile Parkway signs were in place.  I was expecting that, at minimum,  the KTC would have had the combined "I-69/former parkway" signs (similar to what they did on the earlier parkway conversion) installed in time for the re-branding and ribbon cutting ceremony.

Overall, it was very disappointing to see how little had been completed.  I didn't think that a signage installation contract should take so long to complete.   This is probably why Google Earth and Google Maps have not updated their information.  However, on the positive side of things, it appeared that most of the bridge railings had been replaced with concrete barrier rails, much of the pavement had been resurfaced, and the new interchange with the Western Parkway looked really nice and provided smooth driving transitions.

Hehehe ... if you want to see how long it can take, come to Owensboro, where they have been replacing BGSs on U.S. 60 (the former bypass section) since 2013. Several sets of posts sat for two years before they finally got put to use when they rebuilt the western half of the road.  And now, in 2016, there are still several that haven't been replaced yet.   :eyebrow:

seicer

Curious: Why are new sign posts needed when the old ones are reusable? This may not be the case if the sign needs enlargement, but I passed by a few in Ohio that were new steel poles that were identical in size to the old poles. The signs, which were less than 6 months old, were replaced with identical signs sans the "A-B" on the exit tab (the cloverleaf was reduced to a diamond).

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 04, 2016, 10:10:28 PM
Curious: Why are new sign posts needed when the old ones are reusable? This may not be the case if the sign needs enlargement, but I passed by a few in Ohio that were new steel poles that were identical in size to the old poles. The signs, which were less than 6 months old, were replaced with identical signs sans the "A-B" on the exit tab (the cloverleaf was reduced to a diamond).

Some were moved to different locations - others were larger or smaller.  At any rate, it had been 20+ years since they were last replaced, so they were probably due.

EngineerTM

This morning on one of the local radio stations, a spokesman from the KTC was called to discuss problems that some motorists were having with the new I-69 signage.  At the newly opened interchange where I-69 ties together with the Pennyrile Parkway and Western Kentucky Parkway, the new signage shows Fulton, KY as the new control city.  Apparently some drivers who were used to seeing Paducah, KY were getting confused as to which road they should be on and were making U-turns trying to get themselves on the correct roads.  The KTC spokesman explained to the listening audience that the new I-69 would now be using Fulton as its new southernmost control city since it's on the border with Tennessee.  He also stated that the various GPS devices should be getting software updates with the new routing and exit mile markers within the next few months.  I found this rather amusing, since I had recently driven this newly rebranded section of I-69 and found the signage nowhere near complete.  What was even more amusing was this spokesman stated his confusion why in Indiana, when one drives northbound into Evansville on US 41, the US 41 control city is shown as Vincennes, IN.  I guess that he didn't understand that drivers reading that sign were already in Evansville, so it makes no sense to list a control city as the same one that you are presently in.

What I find interesting is that the KTC is already signing Fulton as its new control city, yet I-69 "officially" does not go all the way to Fulton.  Based on what I've been able to research, I couldn't find information confirming that AASHTO/FHWA gave approval to KTC to re-sign the Purchase Parkway as I-69.  I wonder why the KTC is doing this?  Presently, in southern Indiana, none of the I-69 North signs show any control city.  INDOT cannot have these shown as "Indianapolis" because, technically, I-69 does not go all the way to Indianapolis.  Interesting decision by the KTC.

I also don't see why the KTC couldn't have left Paducah as a control city, since technically I-69 and I-24 share a common alignment.  I'd be curious to read others' thoughts on this.  I note this because, in Illinois, I-57 South shows Memphis, TN as its southernmost control city (even though I-57 terminates into I-55 and doesn't go directly to Memphis).

codyg1985

I think using Fulton makes no sense, even though I-69 will go through it. If I-69 would be completed to Memphis in our lifetimes, then Memphis would make more sense. Dyersburg, TN would be a little bit better if not Memphis, but I would also have dual control cities for both Paducah and either Fulton/Dyersburg/Memphis.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

seicer

It's not that big of a deal. I would agree that Paducah and Fulton would be great control cities to use on the former Western Kentucky Parkway alignment, considering that further east, westbound signs I think still feature Paducah. If there are signs on Interstate 64 for Ashland but not for Huntington, then the same can be said for Fulton and not Dyersburg/Memphis for Interstate 69.

People should rely on their GPS less and just follow signs, common sense and maps.

jpi

I agree Cody, at the very least it should be signed "Fulton-Memphis" on the BGS's at the Purchase PKWY\ I-24 interchange, just like they do on I-65 south of E-Town with "Bowling Green-Nashville" co-signed on BGs's and distance signage. They should keep Paducah signed along with Fulton at the WK PKWY\ Pennyrile PKWY exit going south\ west bound too. I have not driven through that area since over the summer, the re-configured interchange was the biggest change I noticed, other then that, nothing new.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

EngineerTM

Since the KTC is converting their parkways in stages, I think that they should sign I-69 in the manner similar to what INDOT is presently doing for its I-69 construction, and simply install I-69 North and I-69 South BGS's without any control cities until the full interstate within Kentucky is completed.  The signs could be fabricated with enough space so that the control cities could be added later.  At the very least, the I-69 North signs could show Henderson (since its doubtful that KTC would include either Evansville or Indianapolis) as that control city.  I also think that including Memphis for the I-69 South signs is not realistic, because I-69 does not run continuously to Memphis and there is no indication that Tennessee will be completing its sections of I-69 within the next decade or two (or three).

vdeane

I think the control city thing depends on state.  Obviously INDOT obsesses about only signing control cities that a route goes to.  Other states don't; NY, for example, uses Corning for I-390, Downtown Rochester for I-590, Buffalo for I-490, Rochester for I-290, and New York City and Erie for NY 17/I-86.

Besides, why spend money on the signs twice?  I'm pretty sure it won't be long before I-69 makes it to Fulton anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There's already a project underway to improve parts of the Purchase Parkway to get it signed as I-69 (similar to the projects done on the WK and Pennyrile) and I think the project to re-do the I-24/Purchase interchange goes to bid this month. As for the choice of control cities, the road goes to Fulton no matter whether it's signed I-69 or the Purchase Parkway, and even Tennessee doesn't sign Memphis on US 51 very often around Fulton or Union City. I don't know who made the decision to use Fulton (KYTC or FHWA), but surely people can look at a map and tell where the roads go.

EngineerTM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2016, 10:09:04 PM
There's already a project underway to improve parts of the Purchase Parkway to get it signed as I-69 (similar to the projects done on the WK and Pennyrile) and I think the project to re-do the I-24/Purchase interchange goes to bid this month. As for the choice of control cities, the road goes to Fulton no matter whether it's signed I-69 or the Purchase Parkway, and even Tennessee doesn't sign Memphis on US 51 very often around Fulton or Union City. I don't know who made the decision to use Fulton (KYTC or FHWA), but surely people can look at a map and tell where the roads go.

I had read elsewhere that reconstruction of the I-69/I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange was supposed to start sometime in the spring of 2016.  Glad to hear that project is due to be bid.  I'd be curious what the cost and time frame to complete will be.

I have no particular horse in the race regarding control cities.  I was simply commenting earlier how it was reported that some drivers were confused with the change in signage.  On a side note, within the limits of Evansville, the signs for I-69 South presently do not have any control city listed.  Given how US 41 is signed, it wouldn't surprise me if INDOT updates those signs with Henderson, KY (probably using adhesive-applied sign labels) as the control city once (or whenever) I-69 is extended over the Ohio River to complete SIU 4, since that is how US 41 South is presently signed within Evansville.

BTW - not having been there myself, just how big a town is Fulton?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.