News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Update: I think I answered one of my questions in my previous post.

The exit tabs that were recently posted in Henderson County seem to reflect the mileage of the Pennyrile Parkway from the county line. I verified using Bing maps that the interchange with KY 425 falls after mile marker 10 (though I measured 10.9 miles from the county line to the off ramp along northbound). Taking it a step further, it measured approximately 13.5 miles to KY 351 and 15.2 miles to U.S. 60, which almost matches the 2017 Rand with the Exit 14 and 15 boxes as shown on the Indiana page.

So now that leads me to more questions:

Why would they number them in this fashion? I ask because I found an article from October 23, 2015 that stated the interchange between I-69 and KY 425 would be renumbered as Exit 148 (not Exit 10[AB]):

http://surfky.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/69424-pennyrile-parkway-exit-numbers-changing-over-to-i-69

So are these exit tabs in error or was it decided sometime after that article to just temporarily post the interchanges within Henderson County with exit numbers solely based from the county line northward?

codyg1985

I think this exit number represents the mileage for US 41 in Henderson County. Why this is posted along mainline I-69 I don't know.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

thefro

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 01, 2016, 07:41:18 AM
I think this exit number represents the mileage for US 41 in Henderson County. Why this is posted along mainline I-69 I don't know.

Remember Exit 10 is the "exit" from US 41 to I-69.  It's exit 148 A/B coming from southbound from I-69 to US 41.

It should make more sense whenever the new terrain section leading to the bridge is built.

FLRoads

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 01, 2016, 07:41:18 AM

I thought so at first, but after reviewing one of the EIU's for I-69 discovered otherwise.

Avalanchez71

So have they decided to build a redundant bridge?

hbelkins

Cody's right. In Kentucky, mile markers for all routes except Interstates and parkways reset at the county lines, and any freeway portions that have numbered exits reflect the mile marker for that county (see the two Pikeville exits on US 23, and the exit numbers for the US 60 Owensboro bypass). US 41 was rerouted across KY 425 to the Pennyrile when the Pennyrile south of this exit got the I-69 designation. I saw the sign plans before the signs were erected and scratched my head about the "left exit" application here myself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

FLRoads

QuoteUS 41 was rerouted across KY 425 to the Pennyrile when the Pennyrile south of this exit got the I-69 designation. I saw the sign plans before the signs were erected and scratched my head about the "left exit" application here myself.

I see it was a recent transition per an article I found this afternoon. Thanks for verifying this for me.

It still seems odd though that they would use Exit 10 for the southbound exit even though U.S. 41 is over 11 miles into the county by that point. Oh well, we have this kind of occurrence in Florida along portions of I-75 throughout the state.

OracleUsr

Thoughts on this exit:

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

OracleUsr

Thoughts on this interchange signage:

1.  Looks like Kentucky followed its neighbor to the east and started using mixed Clearview, but that's beside the point.
2.  Do I see a double-height tab on the opposite direction of I-69?  Are pull-throughs now left exits?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

froggie

Were there supposed to be graphics with those last two posts?  Because if so, they didn't show up.

GreenLanternCorps

What is the status of the construction of I-69 between I-24 and the Tennesse state line?

Aside from the I-24/I-Interchange, what else needed to be done to bring Purchase Parkway up to interstate standards?

hbelkins

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on June 20, 2016, 11:54:23 AM
What is the status of the construction of I-69 between I-24 and the Tennesse state line?

Aside from the I-24/I-Interchange, what else needed to be done to bring Purchase Parkway up to interstate standards?

There's work ongoing in the Mayfield area. The primary issues are the old toll booth cloverleaf interchanges, and the exit from the Purchase (where it currently exits itself) to the continuation of the US 45 bypass/spur to US 45.

The Ghostbuster

Kentucky is lucky their section of Interstate 69 mostly follows pre-existing roads.

rte66man

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2016, 01:04:32 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on June 20, 2016, 11:54:23 AM

There's work ongoing in the Mayfield area. The primary issues are the old toll booth cloverleaf interchanges, and the exit from the Purchase (where it currently exits itself) to the continuation of the US 45 bypass/spur to US 45.

As HB mentioned, there are 2 of the old cloverleafs left on this stretch:
at Benton

at Wingo

IMO, they are better off addressing the atrocious lack of merging lanes such as this:

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

lordsutch

Quote from: rte66man on June 20, 2016, 09:12:51 PM
IMO, they are better off addressing the atrocious lack of merging lanes such as this:

The ramps at that exit are reportedly being fixed as part of the work as well.

amroad17

It does appear in the photo that the cloverleaf issue is being addressed in Benton. 

Is the Exit 21 interchange (where the Purchase exits itself) being totally re-worked or are extra lanes being added in the current configuration? 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

lordsutch

hbelkins

Quote from: lordsutch on June 20, 2016, 09:57:43 PM

Quote from: rte66man on June 20, 2016, 09:12:51 PM

The ramps at that exit are reportedly being fixed as part of the work as well.

That's the KY 80 exit at Mayfield and yes, that interchange is being reworked. The bridge was torn down and rebuilt as well.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 20, 2016, 04:12:21 PM
Kentucky is lucky their section of Interstate 69 mostly follows pre-existing roads.

I would say that the expense is uneeded as an exsisting road already is place.  Why spend money on changing the sinage and then having to make upgrades to meet a different standard?  T

seicer

I think you missed much of this thread:

1. There were several substandard interchanges that included ramps with no decel/accel lanes;
2. Ramps that were designed when the road was tolled;
3. 25 MPH ramps for through movements; and
4. Signage that needed to be updated to reflect Interstate 69 and it's mileage within Kentucky. Otherwise, we'd have Interstate 69 with mileages of three different parkways.

silverback1065

Besides, those bizarre toll booth interchanges need to be removed, they can be dangerous.

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 23, 2016, 07:29:09 AM
Besides, those bizarre toll booth interchanges need to be removed, they can be dangerous.

Not really at low-volume interchanges. Only one of the Bluegrass Parkway interchanges (US 127) has been rebuilt. The KY 52 New Haven/Boston and KY 55 Bloomfield/Springfield exits are still as they always were. I know of no plans to rebuilt them.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on June 22, 2016, 09:56:28 PM
I think you missed much of this thread:

1. There were several substandard interchanges that included ramps with no decel/accel lanes;
2. Ramps that were designed when the road was tolled;
3. 25 MPH ramps for through movements; and
4. Signage that needed to be updated to reflect Interstate 69 and it's mileage within Kentucky. Otherwise, we'd have Interstate 69 with mileages of three different parkways.

I have been on nearly every mile of the Kentucky Parkway system.  I think I missed some of the Audobon PKWY or whatever it is called now.  Maybe the President Stiver Pkwy or whatever.  At any rate the parkway system is overbuilt for the traffic that it carries. 

seicer

-_-

The AADT's of every parkway is comparable to other interstates in Kentucky and in other states. Given that the population density can be far lower in many areas of the state (e.g. Mountain Parkway, Daniel Boone/Hal Rogers Parkway), traffic levels will decline accordingly. That's why some portions of the parkway system, like the Daniel Boone/Hal Rogers and portions of the Mountain Parkway (for now) are two-lanes.

lordsutch

Those loop-ramp-only interchanges are a really unsafe design for 70 mph through-running traffic - remember, they were designed for an interchange where the mainline traffic, at much lower volumes than today, was coming to a dead stop to pay a toll - and unlike a lot of unsafe freeway ramps in America, there's an opportunity for them to be safely fixed at a relatively low expense.

I have no problem with FHWA telling Kentucky they need to be fixed before they can slap up Interstate shields on the parkways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.