News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The only other non-Interstate-conversions I can think of have been done on the Cumberland at US 127 and the WK at KY 259. That does not include the KY 11/Mountain Parkway interchange, where the toll booths were on the bridge over the crossroads and the whole interchange had to be reconstructed to remove the toll booths.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Captain Jack

Some observations from driving I-69 between Henderson and Mayfield recently.

Construction in full swing on interchange with 1-24 at Benton.

Screw up on BGS southbound approaching I-69 split with Pennyrile Parkway. The BGS for Fulton has a "Y" arrow, basically meaning you can go either way at the split. I think they are trying to say either lane works, but that should be (2) arrows pointing to the right, not a "Y"

South of Madisonville, there is a mileage sign for Providence. This makes no sense. Providence isn't anywhere near the road. Southbound motorists who are traveling to Providence would have exited at the 1st Madisonville exit, and taken 41-A over to Providence...about 5 miles north of this sign. At the point of the sign, you would continue south and then west on I-69 to Dawson Springs, then north on a very narrow and curvy state highway for about 20 miles. Completely out of the way. I find it odd that there is mileage signs for off-route places like Providence and Morganfield, but not a one for Evansville, where most of the traffic is headed.

codyg1985

Quote from: Captain Jack on November 08, 2016, 12:19:18 PM
Screw up on BGS southbound approaching I-69 split with Pennyrile Parkway. The BGS for Fulton has a "Y" arrow, basically meaning you can go either way at the split. I think they are trying to say either lane works, but that should be (2) arrows pointing to the right, not a "Y"

Here are some photos of the signs in question. The first is two miles out and the second is at the split between the parkways and I-69 South.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Captain Jack

Thanks for the pics.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 08, 2016, 12:28:11 PM

Here are some photos of the signs in question. The first is two miles out and the second is at the split between the parkways and I-69 South.

Is the parkways with I-69 signed just I-69, or I-69 and Parkway? (Example being I-69 consigned with Pennyrile Parkway, or is the Pennyrile signed former?)
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 08, 2016, 04:19:02 PM

Is the parkways with I-69 signed just I-69, or I-69 and Parkway? (Example being I-69 consigned with Pennyrile Parkway, or is the Pennyrile signed former?)

pretty sure it's just 69 now.

amroad17

Why is there even an APL sign 2 miles from the interchange?  This, as it is shown, can be very misleading to a motorist.  This overhead should only have the left part of the sign on it with no arrows and no sign for I-69.  The second photo of signs is fine the way it is because of the extra lane appearing at the sign.  The 1-mile advance is probably wrong also based on what I can see in the first photo.  Both the 1-mile and 2-mile advance BGS's should only have the EXITS 106B-A info on it to reduce motorist confusion or have a separate BGS for I-69 with the 1-mile advance BGS.

Another thought is to have the APL signs look like the ones at the interchange, having a left-curved arrow, a "Y" arrow underneath the vertical line, and a right-curved arrow.  This would make a lot of sense and, I believe, should reduce motorist confusion.

It would be rather neat if Memphis was listed underneath Fulton.  :D  I know, I-69 probably will not reach Memphis for at least 15-20 years (if we are lucky), however, this is the way to get to Memphis if you live in Evansville, SW Indiana, or western Kentucky.  Why not?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

At one time, the westernmost part of the WK had "North (or South) I-69/Formerly WK Parkway" signs. I didn't drive far enough west on the WK when I was there to see the signage.

No mention of the Pennyrile north of the WK. And the approaches on both parkways have "Parkway Ends 1 Mile" signs.

I have pics on the Millennium Highway Facebook page but haven't gotten them uploaded to Flickr or to my site yet.

lordsutch

I don't believe that the 2 mile advance sign is confusing. It correctly indicates which lane you need to be in at that point for I-69 and that you can be in either lane for the parkways at that point.

The major problem with stipple signs (other than legibility) is that they were generally based on the gore point; if the roadway picks up lanes or loses lanes between the advance sign and the interchange, the driver has no way of knowing how the lane they're in now corresponds to the stipples - specifically, does the new lane show up on the left or right? This signing approach doesn't require the driver to know that - you get in the appropriate lane now based on the overhead and you're fine, although you can also move over a lane when the new one shows up.

codyg1985

Quote from: amroad17 on November 08, 2016, 07:08:11 PM
It would be rather neat if Memphis was listed underneath Fulton.  :D  I know, I-69 probably will not reach Memphis for at least 15-20 years (if we are lucky), however, this is the way to get to Memphis if you live in Evansville, SW Indiana, or western Kentucky.  Why not?

Memphis would still be a logical control city since the Parkway dumps you onto US 51, which also has a control city of Memphis once you get to Tennessee.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2016, 10:30:47 PM

At one time, the westernmost part of the WK had "North (or South) I-69/Formerly WK Parkway" signs. I didn't drive far enough west on the WK when I was there to see the signage.

No mention of the Pennyrile north of the WK. And the approaches on both parkways have "Parkway Ends 1 Mile" signs.

I have pics on the Millennium Highway Facebook page but haven't gotten them uploaded to Flickr or to my site yet.
I've personally kept myself up to date on I-69 in Indiana, as I live right next to the proposed route. I've relied on other sources to keep me updated on other sections. Thanks!

jpi

It looks as if there is room for another control city under "Fulton" maybe in time (15-20 years) Memphis could easily be added.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Mr_Northside

Quote from: lordsutch on November 09, 2016, 02:02:33 AM
I don't believe that the 2 mile advance sign is confusing. It correctly indicates which lane you need to be in at that point for I-69 and that you can be in either lane for the parkways at that point.

I think the biggest issue with the 2mi advance sign, and it took me a minute or 2 to figure out why I thought there was an issue, is that the vertical dividing line doesn't split the "Y" arrow.  In a sense, it seems one could assume, that *somehow* if you want to use I-69 South, you can veer either left or right in the right lane.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Interstate 69 Fan

Any mention of I-69 along Purchase Parkway and I-24 between Tennessee and I-24's first interchange east of Purchase Parkway (I think it's US 62)

hbelkins

I-69 is fully signed along I-24 between the WK and Purchase parkways.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: hbelkins on November 10, 2016, 10:00:06 PM
I know, is there any End I-69 shields and any mention of I-69 along Purchase Parkways?

hbelkins

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 11, 2016, 08:40:29 AM
I know, is there any End I-69 shields and any mention of I-69 along Purchase Parkways?

There used to be an "End I-69" sign at the Purchase Parkway/I-24 interchange (westbound on 24) and several "Future I-69 corridor" signs on the Purchase south of Mayfield.

Georgia

Quote from: hbelkins on November 11, 2016, 07:17:17 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 11, 2016, 08:40:29 AM

There used to be an "End I-69" sign at the Purchase Parkway/I-24 interchange (westbound on 24) and several "Future I-69 corridor" signs on the Purchase south of Mayfield.

yep, the one on WB 24 is still there as of 2 weeks ago

GreenLanternCorps

The reconstruction of the Exit 43 interchange with KY 343 at Benton, KY was opened to traffic on the new ramps last December.  It is now a diamond interchange.

http://www.marshallcountydaily.com/2016/12/12/purchase-pkwyky-348-exit-43-interchange-at-benton-expected-to-open-by-weeks-end/

Final pavement will be laid in the spring.

One step closer.

edwaleni

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 12, 2017, 08:36:47 AM
The reconstruction of the Exit 43 interchange with KY 343 at Benton, KY was opened to traffic on the new ramps last December.  It is now a diamond interchange.

http://www.marshallcountydaily.com/2016/12/12/purchase-pkwyky-348-exit-43-interchange-at-benton-expected-to-open-by-weeks-end/

One step closer.

Any dates on the same exit type remediation needed at Wingo?

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: edwaleni on January 15, 2017, 07:33:20 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 12, 2017, 08:36:47 AM

One step closer.

Any dates on the same exit type remediation needed at Wingo?

Not sure, I had a REALLY slow day at work and was digging through Google looking for any updates on I-69 in Kentucky and found that article.

Google maps from that interchange is from 2012 both on 69 and KY 339.

Interstate 69 Fan

Anyone know if the Purchase Parkway is officially Interstate 69? If not, is there any upgrades underway?

hbelkins

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 03, 2017, 03:10:44 PM
Anyone know if the Purchase Parkway is officially Interstate 69? If not, is there any upgrades underway?

No, it isn't a part of I-69 yet. And yes, there is construction. The I-24 interchange is being rebuilt to provide a high-speed movement to stay on 69, one of the old toll booth interchanges has been rebuilt, and the southern end of the Mayfield bypass (ramp to US 45) is being rebuilt.

2016 Alabama Meet Trip Day 1 - 331 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

abqtraveler

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2017, 04:04:52 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 03, 2017, 03:10:44 PM

No, it isn't a part of I-69 yet. And yes, there is construction. The I-24 interchange is being rebuilt to provide a high-speed movement to stay on 69, one of the old toll booth interchanges has been rebuilt, and the southern end of the Mayfield bypass (ramp to US 45) is being rebuilt.

Before I-69 signs can be added to the Purchase Parkway, there's still the last remaining "tollbooth" style interchange at Wingo that needs to be reconstructed, and upgrades to the mainline between Mayfield and Fulton that need to be accomplished (e.g., cable barriers, lengthening merge lanes at interchanges, lowering the roadway below overpasses to increase clearance, etc.).  KYTC lists in its latest 6-Year Road Plan these projects being completed in the 2020-2021 timeframe, which would be around the same time it, along with TDOT, plans to start reconfiguration of the South Fulton interchange to extend I-69 into Tennessee.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 22, 2016, 10:20:45 AM
Kentucky U.S. Senator Rand Paul has introduced a proposed amendment, SA 3967, to SA 3896 to House Appropriations Bill H.R. 2777 that designates the Edward T. Breathitt Parkway from I-24 to I-69 as I-169

I don't know if the legislation has passed (I don't think so), but a state representative is making sure people hear about I-169:

After working hard for a few weeks, a representative and senator stopped by Tuesday at the Hopkinsville Rotary Club's weekly lunch to give them an update on the work they've done.
State Rep. Walker Thomas informed the Rotarians his big goal is to make Interstate 169 happen. He explained it doesn't make sense to not have the best way to Nashville.
Former Mayor Dan Kemp asked how soon this would happen. Westerfield responded saying "someday."  Thomas said he is working to make Congress and the other levels of legislature aware of the project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.