News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: mvak36 on February 17, 2017, 09:58:08 AM
Sorry to change topic here, but does anyone know if they have started construction on the I-24/Purchase Pkwy interchange in Calvert City? Is it still scheduled to be completed in 2018?

Also, when the above project and the other 2 Purchase parkway interchanges are done, can it be signed as I-69?

Construction has started in the I-69/I-24 interchange.  Google maps has a view of the construction as you move from the Northbound Purchase Parkway to I-24 East/I-69 North:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9891808,-88.3447342,3a,60y,119.29h,78.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj4ofrU6CG-TuqES5rPGzqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

hbelkins

Quote from: mvak36 on February 17, 2017, 09:58:08 AM
Sorry to change topic here, but does anyone know if they have started construction on the I-24/Purchase Pkwy interchange in Calvert City? Is it still scheduled to be completed in 2018?

Also, when the above project and the other 2 Purchase parkway interchanges are done, can it be signed as I-69?

Yes, construction is still slated to be finished next year, according to my source (my counterpart in Paducah.)

I'm hoping to schedule a meet later this year to focus on Purchase Parkway construction.

I'm not sure what all will have to be done to get it signed I-69. At a minimum, converting the other toll booth cloverleaf.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GreenLanternCorps

Has anything been done on the Wingo interchange yet?  I know construction has not started.  But have they at least started the paperwork on it?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 22, 2016, 10:20:45 AM
Kentucky U.S. Senator Rand Paul has introduced a proposed amendment, SA 3967, to SA 3896 to House Appropriations Bill H.R. 2777 that designates the Edward T. Breathitt Parkway from I-24 to I-69 as I-169

President Trump signed H.R. 244 into law last night that designates the Breathitt Parkway between I-24 and !-69 as I-169 (p. 663/708 of pdf):

SEC. 423. (a) Section 1105(c) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by adding at the end the following:
"˜"˜(89) United States Route 67 from Interstate 40 in North Little Rock, Arkansas, to United States Route 412.
"˜"˜(90) The Edward T. Breathitt Parkway from Interstate 24 to Interstate 69.''.
(b) Section 1105(e)(5)(A) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended in the first sentence
by striking "˜"˜and subsection (c)(83)'' and inserting "˜"˜subsection (c)(83),subsection (c)(89), and subsection (c)(90)''.
(c) Section 1105(e)(5)(C)(i) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by adding at the end
the following: "˜"˜The route referred to in subsection (c)(89) is designated as Interstate Route I—57. The route referred to in subsection (c)(90) is designated as Interstate Route I—169.''.

sparker

Looks like there's one remaining former tollbooth-type folded interchange on the southern Breathitt section now designated I-169; otherwise, the facility looks good to go.  At least it's a reasonably logical addition to the network, and provides a fully-designated mostly direct route between Nashville and Evansville.  I'm guessing that actual signage will wait until that singular substandard interchange is addressed. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on May 06, 2017, 03:30:16 PM
Looks like there's one remaining former tollbooth-type folded interchange on the southern Breathitt section now designated I-169; otherwise, the facility looks good to go.  At least it's a reasonably logical addition to the network, and provides a fully-designated mostly direct route between Nashville and Evansville.  I'm guessing that actual signage will wait until that singular substandard interchange is addressed.

Kentucky will probably put up "Future Interstate 169" signs, and have a big public/press event involving the governor, although it should be noted that while the "Future I-66" signs still remain on the Cumberland Parkway, the "Future I-69 Spur" signs on the Audubon are gone.

There may be some bridges that need to have their height increased (there were two such on the westernmost stretch of the WK that had to be fixed before it was signed as I-69) and possibly some entrance ramps that need to be lengthened (there was at least one on the Pennyrile, and in that case the entire interchange was rebuilt).

I drove that stretch of the Pennyrile (from the WK to that exit with the tollbooth cloverleaf) last fall but don't really remember anything special about it.

mvak36

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2017, 03:19:32 PM

Kentucky will probably put up "Future Interstate 169" signs, and have a big public/press event involving the governor, although it should be noted that while the "Future I-66" signs still remain on the Cumberland Parkway, the "Future I-69 Spur" signs on the Audubon are gone.

There may be some bridges that need to have their height increased (there were two such on the westernmost stretch of the WK that had to be fixed before it was signed as I-69) and possibly some entrance ramps that need to be lengthened (there was at least one on the Pennyrile, and in that case the entire interchange was rebuilt).

I drove that stretch of the Pennyrile (from the WK to that exit with the tollbooth cloverleaf) last fall but don't really remember anything special about it.
Are they not going to convert the Audubon to intestate standards anymore?

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: mvak36 on May 07, 2017, 04:25:46 PM

iPhone

I-369 is still proposed. I-169 is not "Future" too.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

sparker

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 07, 2017, 05:11:16 PM
I-369 is still proposed. I-169 is not "Future" too.

I think the point HB was making was that until the substandard features of the southern Pennyrile are addressed, they'll simply post "Future" I-169 signage; full signage won't occur until the segment meets spec.  But of course, political posturing will then have two events at which to display itself:  when the "future" signs are posted, and when the permanent signage is deployed.  Self-congratulation seems to have no bounds regardless of jurisdiction!

Interstate 69 Fan

I started an talk on I-169 for all your Interstate 169 in Kentucky needs! https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20211.0
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on May 07, 2017, 04:25:46 PM

iPhone

Upgrading the Audubon probably isn't as big a priority as upgrading the Pennyrile and Purchase parkways, which would make sense since upgrading the latter two parkways would benefit that whole region while upgrading the Audubon would only benefit Owensboro.

Upgrading the Natcher Parkway into an I-x65 probably isn't a big priority either since, again, it would only benefit Owensboro.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rover_0

There's still "Future I-66" signs hanging around? KYTC should talk with WVDOT and just replace the designation of I-66 with US 48 already.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

sparker

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 08, 2017, 06:31:07 PM
There's still "Future I-66" signs hanging around? KYTC should talk with WVDOT and just replace the designation of I-66 with US 48 already.

US 48?!?!  I seem to recall something in Fictional suggesting that some time ago, but, wow, would that involve one helluva multiplex (or series thereof!).  Getting it from Weston to the east end of the Hal Rogers just to use the number seems to be pushing it a bit.  While the western I-66 may not get anywhere in the foreseeable future, the Cumberland/Nunn (where those signs are posted) could easily be a x65 or even another even 2di between 46 and 58 (lots to choose from, even with 60 & 62 being in-state US routes).  And if you still want a US route, why not US 168?  But now I'm drifting into fictional territory, so I'll just stop here.   

seicer

Quote from: LM117 on May 08, 2017, 09:19:26 AM
Upgrading the Audubon probably isn't as big a priority as upgrading the Pennyrile and Purchase parkways, which would make sense since upgrading the latter two parkways would benefit that whole region while upgrading the Audubon would only benefit Owensboro.

Upgrading the Natcher Parkway into an I-x65 probably isn't a big priority either since, again, it would only benefit Owensboro.

A significant portion of the Audubon was just reconstructed, and the remainder of the original concrete pavement diamond grinded. It has only one substandard interchange in the center and probably standard shoulders.

Brandon

Quote from: seicer on May 09, 2017, 09:41:44 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 08, 2017, 09:19:26 AM

A significant portion of the Audubon was just reconstructed, and the remainder of the original concrete pavement diamond grinded. It has only one substandard interchange in the center and probably standard shoulders.

Drove it back in 2014.  Not a bad road, but I don't get why Kentucky (and Oklahoma for that matter) put their toll plazas under bridges.  Seems like a stupid place to put them, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

RoadWarrior56

I rode and later drove on the Kentucky Parkways for years before the tolls were removed (and the old Kentucky Turnpike for that matter).  Locating those toll plazas under the bridges with cloverleaf ramps was an efficient and inexpensive way to collect tolls for through traffic as well as entering and exiting traffic all in one location.  Those roadways were cash-only and did not have tickets.  They did work well for the traffic that used these facilities.  Traffic volumes were relatively light except for the Kentucky Turnpike  (that toll interchange was gutted and rebuilt in the mid 1980's).  Remember these roadways were designed and constructed  between 45 and 60 years ago.

Brandon

^^ Maybe I'm just seeing them from a NE Illinois perspective, where we had a similar system (pre-I-Pass) with barriers every-so-often.  ISTHC (later ISTHA) put the barriers between interchanges, except for the two on the western East-West Tollway.  Those were placed between the ramps at a couple of trumpet interchanges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

lordsutch

Quote from: Brandon on May 09, 2017, 11:31:30 AM
Drove it back in 2014.  Not a bad road, but I don't get why Kentucky (and Oklahoma for that matter) put their toll plazas under bridges.  Seems like a stupid place to put them, IMHO.

As RoadWarrior56 pointed out, it facilitated tolling both through and ramp traffic at the same location with fewer toll collectors, while (key point) still allowing a discount for entering/exiting traffic. Hence Kentucky didn't need to have ramp tolls, a ticket system, or twice as many barrier tolls, saving substantially on costs - which is probably one of the reasons Kentucky was able to pay off its bonds on most of the parkways (until Hal Rogers swooped in and got the feds to pay off the rest).

It also made it easier for toll collectors to get to/from work, although that's a relatively minor side-benefit.

RoadWarrior56

The Kentucky toll interchanges were primarily located at every other interchange, with a few exceptions that had toll booths on the ramps themselves.  Interchanges were often spaced up to 20 or more miles apart, so it didn't take that many toll interchanges to cover even a long parkway.

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2017, 10:38:23 PM
But now I'm drifting into fictional territory, so I'll just stop here.

Not necessarily. There's money allocated for preliminary design work to turn the Hal Rogers Parkway into an interstate-grade freeway in the current Kentucky road plan.

seicer

I thought the Kentucky Turnpike was a ticket system?

RoadWarrior56

Kentucky Turnpike had a through toll barrier at the south end of Elizabethtown with a 10 cent toll, and a cloverleaf interchange with the toll booths under the bridge at Shepardsville, that charged 50 cents.  This was the prototype for the Parkway System that followed in the next decade.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:41:00 PM

Not necessarily. There's money allocated for preliminary design work to turn the Hal Rogers Parkway into an interstate-grade freeway in the current Kentucky road plan.

That's interesting to note.  Would have thought that KY DOT would have prioritized the connection between Somerset and London before tackling anything east of there on the Rogers.  I guess the I-66 concept (in whatever guise it's assuming presently) lives on in more than just spirit in KY! 

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on May 09, 2017, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:41:00 PM

That's interesting to note.  Would have thought that KY DOT would have prioritized the connection between Somerset and London before tackling anything east of there on the Rogers.  I guess the I-66 concept (in whatever guise it's assuming presently) lives on in more than just spirit in KY! 

I believe that there are also plans to complete the Somerset bypass and improve KY 80 to London as well.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

seicer

The segment between Somerset and London won't be completed any time soon. Besides environmental concerns (building on a new alignment through the Daniel Boone NF), it's cost prohibitive. Considering the existing two-lane route with climbing lanes is more than adequate, I don't see Hal Roger's pet project being fully funded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.