News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on May 10, 2017, 06:48:10 AM
The segment between Somerset and London won't be completed any time soon. Besides environmental concerns (building on a new alignment through the Daniel Boone NF), it's cost prohibitive. Considering the existing two-lane route with climbing lanes is more than adequate, I don't see Hal Roger's pet project being fully funded.

The excavation required in Perry and Leslie counties to four-lane the existing Hal Rogers Parkway is also going to be very costly. And, there have been several at-grade intersections added in Leslie, Clay and Laurel counties since the tolls were removed, which will be expensive to rectify.

The study to convert the Hal Rogers Parkway to an interstate appeared very abruptly in the highway plan passed by the legislature last year. I'm not sure who got it added, but some influential senators (Albert Robinson, Brandon Smith and Senate President Robert Stivers) have the route pass through their districts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rover_0

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2017, 10:38:23 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on May 08, 2017, 06:31:07 PM
There's still "Future I-66" signs hanging around? KYTC should talk with WVDOT and just replace the designation of I-66 with US 48 already.

US 48?!?!  I seem to recall something in Fictional suggesting that some time ago, but, wow, would that involve one helluva multiplex (or series thereof!).  Getting it from Weston to the east end of the Hal Rogers just to use the number seems to be pushing it a bit.  While the western I-66 may not get anywhere in the foreseeable future, the Cumberland/Nunn (where those signs are posted) could easily be a x65 or even another even 2di between 46 and 58 (lots to choose from, even with 60 & 62 being in-state US routes).  And if you still want a US route, why not US 168?  But now I'm drifting into fictional territory, so I'll just stop here.   

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2017, 10:38:23 PM
But now I'm drifting into fictional territory, so I'll just stop here.

Not necessarily. There's money allocated for preliminary design work to turn the Hal Rogers Parkway into an interstate-grade freeway in the current Kentucky road plan.

It's not anymore outlandish than the current I-66 plan IMO. (How would I-66 west of I-81 get connected to the current I-66?) Plus, no need to get everything built up to Interstate standards. Again, this part of the conversation is drifting into fictional territory, but I feel that an extended US-48 designation is a more reasonable solution than I-66. I do apologize if this part of the conversation is drifting into fictional highway territory.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

sparker

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 17, 2017, 12:53:51 PM
It's not anymore outlandish than the current I-66 plan IMO. (How would I-66 west of I-81 get connected to the current I-66?) Plus, no need to get everything built up to Interstate standards. Again, this part of the conversation is drifting into fictional territory, but I feel that an extended US-48 designation is a more reasonable solution than I-66. I do apologize if this part of the conversation is drifting into fictional highway territory.

A westerly extended US 48 isn't outlandish per se, but just would involve miles and miles of multiplex -- which sort of defeats the whole concept.  Yes, the I-66 concept would necessarily involve major upgrades and a US 48 would not, but -- and maybe it's just me -- 100+ miles of new multiplex along mostly US 119 and/or I-79 (and through the Charleston metro area to boot) seems gratuitous.  Just pick a new designation for the KY parkway continuum and be done with it -- an Interstate number if it's planned to actually build out the parkways to I-standards, and a US number if it isn't. 

hbelkins

The only independently-signed portion of US 48 as it is now planned will be between Bismarck (Mt. Storm Lake) and Moorefield. Everything else will be co-signed with US 33, US 119, US 250, WV 92, US 219, WV 93, WV 55, WV 259 and VA 55.

If you want to put US 48 on the Kentucky parkways, best way to do it is run it concurrently with I-79 and US 19 to Beckley, then replace US 121 with US 48 for the Coalfields Expressway, then co-sign it with US 460 to Watergap, then have it replace KY 80, the Hal Rogers Parkway and the Cumberland Parkway.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2017, 11:25:51 PM
The only independently-signed portion of US 48 as it is now planned will be between Bismarck (Mt. Storm Lake) and Moorefield. Everything else will be co-signed with US 33, US 119, US 250, WV 92, US 219, WV 93, WV 55, WV 259 and VA 55.

If you want to put US 48 on the Kentucky parkways, best way to do it is run it concurrently with I-79 and US 19 to Beckley, then replace US 121 with US 48 for the Coalfields Expressway, then co-sign it with US 460 to Watergap, then have it replace KY 80, the Hal Rogers Parkway and the Cumberland Parkway.

Actually, that's the only idea regarding extending US 48 into KY that makes real sense.  "US 121" was a bit of a stretch, seeing that US 21 truncates well south of there.  Don't much care for the long multiplex with US 19, but it's at least better than dragging it through a series of gratuitous alignment changes via Charleston.  And it keeps it on another nascent parkway (Coalfields) -- sort of a "benchmark" for the 48 designation.

RoadWarrior56

The idea of extending US 48 into Kentucky moves this thread into Fictional Roads territory.  Almost all if not all Kentucky Parkways parallel a US or State highway.  All they would have to do is move that designation over to the parallel parkway for the same effect.  After many decades since these parkways were originally constructed, KYTC has not done that.  They prefer to keep them as independent routes.  However, I suspect that there will be an ongoing effort to convert many of these Parkways to Interstate highways (at least the ones that make sense to convert), as money is available to fix interchanges, etc. 

seicer

US 121 is a nod to US 21's original routing in West Virginia. It's an oddity.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on May 18, 2017, 08:55:42 AM
US 121 is a nod to US 21's original routing in West Virginia. It's an oddity.

It would have been better served as an x23, x52 or x60, given the routes that it will intersect (US 23, US 52 and US 460.) Maybe even an x19 by running it south on the turnpike, east on I-64 and north on the East Beckley Bypass which will connect to US 19.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 22, 2016, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: EngineerTM on May 03, 2016, 02:36:38 PM
I found this document on the KTC's I-69 webpage.  It is the "Recommendations" part of what I think was their final corridor study:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/I-69%20Fulton%20to%20Eddyville%20Section%20-%209_RECOMMENDATIONS_AND_NEXT_STEPS.pdf
On page 9-3, the report recommended that Kentucky seek design variances for interchange spaces for Exits 0, 1, and 3 around Fulton.  It also stated that there would need to be coordination between Kentucky and Tennessee regarding the Exit 0 Weigh Station Interchange along with addressing other undefined deficiencies for the I-69 connectivity across state lines.  This is what I was alluding to in my earlier posts.
TDOT and KYTC conducted a December 3, 2015 Public Meeting regarding an I-69 state ine connection that has been recently discussed in the I-69 in TN thread.
Quote from: Grzrd on May 24, 2017, 07:32:39 PM
I recently emailed TDOT with some questions about the various projects ....
Then, there is complicated coordination with Kentucky about the state line section:
Q: Then, it seems like the state line section would be next, if ready. Have TDOT and KYTC chosen the corridor yet?
A: The state line section will depend on when it is ready.  At this time it depends on when Kentucky will complete their environmental document and the Bi-State agreement between states on the scope of work.
(above quote from I-69 in TN thread)

This TV video provides an update from the Kentucky side of the state line; unfortunately, construction is not scheduled to begin before 2024:

A project to extend the I-69 corridor from Kentucky to Tennessee puts some properties at risk in a local community.
Transportation departments in both states have considered a number of routes for the corridor. Kentucky crews are starting to perform survey work on the one that looks most promising ....
State highway plans show that the design of the specific route wouldn't be complete for another two years ....
The state highway plan shows construction wouldn't begin before 2024.
The cabinet estimates the project to be $20 million.

Here is a snip of a map of the "promising" route mentioned in the video:

I-39

Quote from: Grzrd on June 02, 2017, 10:19:53 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 22, 2016, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: EngineerTM on May 03, 2016, 02:36:38 PM
I found this document on the KTC's I-69 webpage.  It is the "Recommendations" part of what I think was their final corridor study:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/I-69%20Fulton%20to%20Eddyville%20Section%20-%209_RECOMMENDATIONS_AND_NEXT_STEPS.pdf
On page 9-3, the report recommended that Kentucky seek design variances for interchange spaces for Exits 0, 1, and 3 around Fulton.  It also stated that there would need to be coordination between Kentucky and Tennessee regarding the Exit 0 Weigh Station Interchange along with addressing other undefined deficiencies for the I-69 connectivity across state lines.  This is what I was alluding to in my earlier posts.
TDOT and KYTC conducted a December 3, 2015 Public Meeting regarding an I-69 state ine connection that has been recently discussed in the I-69 in TN thread.
Quote from: Grzrd on May 24, 2017, 07:32:39 PM
I recently emailed TDOT with some questions about the various projects ....
Then, there is complicated coordination with Kentucky about the state line section:
Q: Then, it seems like the state line section would be next, if ready. Have TDOT and KYTC chosen the corridor yet?
A: The state line section will depend on when it is ready.  At this time it depends on when Kentucky will complete their environmental document and the Bi-State agreement between states on the scope of work.
(above quote from I-69 in TN thread)

This TV video provides an update from the Kentucky side of the state line; unfortunately, construction is not scheduled to begin before 2024:

A project to extend the I-69 corridor from Kentucky to Tennessee puts some properties at risk in a local community.
Transportation departments in both states have considered a number of routes for the corridor. Kentucky crews are starting to perform survey work on the one that looks most promising ....
State highway plans show that the design of the specific route wouldn't be complete for another two years ....
The state highway plan shows construction wouldn't begin before 2024.
The cabinet estimates the project to be $20 million.

Man, how do you find all these articles? You are very resourceful. Well done!  :clap:

Anyway, that's too bad construction won't start before 2024. But I can't really tell where it is going to go from the map.

sparker

Quote from: I-39 on June 02, 2017, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 02, 2017, 10:19:53 AM

Man, how do you find all these articles? You are very resourceful. Well done!  :clap:

Anyway, that's too bad construction won't start before 2024. But I can't really tell where it is going to go from the map.

It looks like the blue lines on the map indicate the outer limits of the alignment under most serious consideration; it shows only the privately held property to be potentially acquired; the spaces between the lines and the facility to which the new alignment will be connected are likely already part of the present facility's easement.  This is S.O.P. for most preliminary plans regardless of jurisdiction.  Here it looks like a relatively high-speed connector is being planned; the blue lines on the outside of the diagonal (US 51) facility at the southwest corner of the map indicate other ancillary property to be acquired for the expansion of the interchange itself, including any auxiliary lanes for approaches and ramps.

P.S.: the long blue crossing line is likely a long overpass including anchorages.

mgk920

^^

I am very impressed by that option's simplicity!

:thumbsup:

The only thing that I would add to this (if it isn't in there already) is that I would deep-six that half interchange with KY 214 (old US 51) that is just off of the image to the southwest, rerouting the road to restore the surface connection to what is shown as US 45E northeastward to State Line St.  I would then have the KY 215 bypass to the south and southeast end at a 'T' intersection or roundabout with this 'restored' KY 214.

BTW, that east-west proposed road in that diamond interchange on the state line would replace an existing local road on that grade.

Mike

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0733061,-88.0827821,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7UnSmvrnTyR-wEnRXhuF5A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D7UnSmvrnTyR-wEnRXhuF5A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D345.03003%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I see that  signs along the I-69 and Western KY Parkway overlap don't show the Parkway sharing pavement from the Penryville to I-24.  I am guessing too that Purchase Parkway signage also ends here and just I-69 is signed solo behind the camera.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

There was "Formerly Western Kentucky Parkway" signage when that road was first signed as I-69, but some of that signage has been removed. There is no "Formerly Pennyrile Parkway" signage on the route north of the WK, although some Pennyrile signage remains on parallel and intersecting roads.

The Ghostbuster

Isn't the entire 137-mile roadway still considered the Western Kentucky Parkway, even though it is partially part of Interstate 69? Ditto with the segment of the Pennyrile Parkway that is part of 69.

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 23, 2017, 04:21:18 PM
Isn't the entire 137-mile roadway still considered the Western Kentucky Parkway, even though it is partially part of Interstate 69? Ditto with the segment of the Pennyrile Parkway that is part of 69.

Not by KYTC. Even though the WK kept its exit numbers east of the spot where I-69 turns to the north, it's now recognized as I-69 only.

GreenLanternCorps

Found the below from earlier this month:

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2017/10/06/part-future-interstate-2469-interchange-now-open/

Part of future Interstate 24/69 interchange now open

MARSHALL COUNTY, KY- Part of what will be the new interchange between Interstate 24 and future I-69 is now open to traffic.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet began shifting northbound traffic on the Purchase Parkway to what will eventually be the alignment for Interstate 69. The change began early Friday afternoon.

Now, Northbound traffic on the Purchase Parkway will be automatically transitioned to the eastbound lanes of I-24. That will eventually take you to Nashville, Tennessee.

Crews also opened "Ramp A,"  which will take traffic back to the end of the Parkway where drivers can either go to Calvert City or take the old exit to I-24 westbound. You will need to take that if you want to head to Paducah. You will also need to it to get to Calvert City.

An agency spokesman says there is still a significant amount of work to do before they can open other portions of the new interchange. Some ramps within the construction zone are still closed.

coolkevs

On the way to and from my parent's place in Tennessee this Thanksgiving weekend, I noticed that I-69 was labeled on both sides of the KY-348 exit at Benton. Each sign had a normal sized North and South designation with a disproportionately small I-69 shield.

hbelkins

Quote from: coolkevs on November 27, 2017, 02:30:02 PM
On the way to and from my parent's place in Tennessee this Thanksgiving weekend, I noticed that I-69 was labeled on both sides of the KY-348 exit at Benton. Each sign had a normal sized North and South designation with a disproportionately small I-69 shield.

Saw that during the western Kentucky meet that I hosted a few weeks ago. That wasn't there back in July when I scouted the meet. My guess is that it was installed as part of the reconstruction of the KY 348 interchange from a toll booth cloverleaf to a diamond, which was part of the I-69 conversion.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on November 27, 2017, 02:52:46 PM
Quote from: coolkevs on November 27, 2017, 02:30:02 PM

Saw that during the western Kentucky meet that I hosted a few weeks ago. That wasn't there back in July when I scouted the meet. My guess is that it was installed as part of the reconstruction of the KY 348 interchange from a toll booth cloverleaf to a diamond, which was part of the I-69 conversion.

Just to clarify, I-69 North and South was marked on KY 348, not on the Purchase Parkway itself, correct?

mvak36

When is the Purchase Parkway I-69 project supposed to be completed? I see that the Calvert City interchange will be completed by next July, but I can't find anything on the Purchase Parkway projects.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: mvak36 on November 27, 2017, 09:25:30 PM
When is the Purchase Parkway I-69 project supposed to be completed? I see that the Calvert City interchange will be completed by next July, but I can't find anything on the Purchase Parkway projects.

This report states I-69 will be complete and signed to Wingo, as of next July.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2017/11/22/69-progress-make-better-2018-holiday-travels/

mvak36

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 27, 2017, 10:00:16 PM

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2017/11/22/69-progress-make-better-2018-holiday-travels/
So it will be interstate standard up to that old toll-booth cloverleaf in Wingo?

Has the KY-80 interchange already been finished?

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: mvak36 on November 27, 2017, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 27, 2017, 10:00:16 PM

So it will be interstate standard up to that old toll-booth cloverleaf in Wingo?

Has the KY-80 interchange already been finished?

iPhone

Unfortunately you know as much as I do.  I googled "I-69 Wingo"  to see if I could find out if construction had started on it yet or not.

silverback1065

what more needs to be done from wingo to the state line?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.