News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 02, 2014, 11:37:42 PM
Was through there last week. They have done a lot of tree clearing and grading already.

I agree that it is needed. Through traffic on an interstate shouldn't have to use a single lane cloverleaf ramp.

You mean, like I-69 just south of Memphis at the I-55/I-269 interchange?? Or, potential I-22 at the proposed I-269 interchange?

Not disagreeing with you at all, of course, but those are the execptions.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 04, 2014, 08:57:08 AM
I have not seen the traffic forecasts, but 2 points in response to last post - today the traffic probably does favor the old WK parkway through movement, but for the design year (usually 20 years from opening year) the forecasts very likely favor I-69 movements.  Second point - whatever the traffic forecasts are, the point of the reconfiguration is to make I-69 the through route through the interchange.  The I-69 movement will not be considered an "exit".  The traffic continuing on the parkways will use new right-hand exits.

If you look at the map, it shows 69SB veering off to the right, while thru traffic on the parkway (exit) will go to the left.  I just wondered if projected traffic volumes dictated that.

vdeane

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 03, 2014, 05:51:46 AM
Is having trees cleared out a certain distance from the road a standard for a highway to be an interstate?
Believe it or not, yes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Kentucky's been doing a lot of tree clearing on a lot of routes lately.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

qguy

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2014, 07:21:58 PM

Ditto the PA Turnpike.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2014, 07:21:58 PM

They started here in Western Kentucky in the past 3 years or so.  Both the Audubon and Natcher have seen some trimming of major proportions.  It's certainly improved the sightlines on the hills and curves, not that they were really all that bad before.

seicer

Well, when the asphalt was rehabilitated on I-64 during my college years (~2003) in the eastern part of the state, many of the rock cuts were modified to be more sloped or were cleared. They did some tree trimming, but I've noticed that the cuttings have gotten much further back recently.

Grzrd

This article reports that KYTC has awarded a contract to bring 36.4 miles of the Pennyrile Parkway up to interstate standards, and it reports that, "The remaining portion of the I-69 Corridor is scheduled to have signs in place in late 2015":

The new project will result in improvements to a 36.4-mile stretch of the Parkway in Hopkins, Webster and Henderson counties. The project includes pavement rehabilitation, new lighting, reconstructing ramps, widening overpass bridges and fixing vertical clearance issues on some overpass structures. Addressing outdated bridge barrier walls, disjointed pipes along the routes and low or damaged guardrails also fall within the scope of the contract ....
Once complete, I-69 in Kentucky will run north to south from the Ohio River at Henderson to the Tennessee border at Fulton. Completion of the corridor requires improvements to portions of three Kentucky parkways, all of which originally were toll roads, the Breathitt-Pennyrile, Ford-Western Kentucky and Carroll-Purchase parkways ....
The remaining portion of the I-69 Corridor is scheduled to have signs in place in late 2015.

codyg1985

What about the Purchase Parkway?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

There's a public meeting scheduled for June 26 in Calvert City to discuss the I-24/Purchase parkway interchange.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Grzrd on June 17, 2014, 03:15:12 PM
This article reports that KYTC has awarded a contract to bring 36.4 miles of the Pennyrile Parkway up to interstate standards, and it reports that, "The remaining portion of the I-69 Corridor is scheduled to have signs in place in late 2015":

The new project will result in improvements to a 36.4-mile stretch of the Parkway in Hopkins, Webster and Henderson counties. The project includes pavement rehabilitation, new lighting, reconstructing ramps, widening overpass bridges and fixing vertical clearance issues on some overpass structures. Addressing outdated bridge barrier walls, disjointed pipes along the routes and low or damaged guardrails also fall within the scope of the contract ....
Once complete, I-69 in Kentucky will run north to south from the Ohio River at Henderson to the Tennessee border at Fulton. Completion of the corridor requires improvements to portions of three Kentucky parkways, all of which originally were toll roads, the Breathitt-Pennyrile, Ford-Western Kentucky and Carroll-Purchase parkways ....
The remaining portion of the I-69 Corridor is scheduled to have signs in place in late 2015.

In other words, KYTC just told Ron Payne to pound sand.  :-D :-D :-D

Captain Jack

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 17, 2014, 08:20:15 PM

In other words, KYTC just told Ron Payne to pound sand.  :-D :-D :-D

Pretty much..until Payne starts pimping routing 69 across the Audubon, around Owensboro and over the Natcher to his mythical Jasper-Washington Interstate. IMO, Payne doesn't shut up until the ribbon is cut on the new bridge, or 67 is approved.

hbelkins

Quote from: Captain Jack on June 18, 2014, 11:23:28 AMIMO, Payne doesn't shut up until the ribbon is cut on the new bridge, or 67 is approved.

It's an election year for local offices in Kentucky. Does Payne have any opposition?

I don't know if Owensboro's mayoral race is partisan or nonpartisan. If it's partisan, candidates will have already filed. If it's nonpartisan, they have until August to file. Some mayoral races in Kentucky are partisan and some are not.

hbelkins

Press release on the I-69/Purchase Parkway public meeting. (Don't have to be a Facebook member to view).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681997218502696&set=a.193392244029865.38034.168622233173533&type=1

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2014, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Captain Jack on June 18, 2014, 11:23:28 AMIMO, Payne doesn't shut up until the ribbon is cut on the new bridge, or 67 is approved.

It's an election year for local offices in Kentucky. Does Payne have any opposition?

I don't know if Owensboro's mayoral race is partisan or nonpartisan. If it's partisan, candidates will have already filed. If it's nonpartisan, they have until August to file. Some mayoral races in Kentucky are partisan and some are not.

Payne is, as of now, unopposed. I've no idea why.  :eyebrow: Our city races are nonpartisan.

Captain Jack

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 19, 2014, 12:15:26 AM

Payne is, as of now, unopposed. I've no idea why.  :eyebrow: Our city races are nonpartisan.

Sounds like an opportunity for anyone in Owensboro with an ounce of common sense. Maybe you should throw your hat in the ring?

jnewkirk77

No way. My blood pressure's high now ... I don't need the stress of :banghead: undoing his doings! Lol!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 17, 2014, 03:15:12 PM
This article reports that KYTC has awarded a contract to bring 36.4 miles of the Pennyrile Parkway up to interstate standards, and it reports that, "The remaining portion of the I-69 Corridor is scheduled to have signs in place in late 2015"
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 17, 2014, 03:39:03 PM
What about the Purchase Parkway?

This article from the Alliance for I-69 Texas website provides state-by-state I-69 updates and reports that all of I-69 in Kentucky (with the exception of the Ohio River bridge) should have I-69 shields by 2017:

A total of 59 miles of Interstate 69 has been added to the Interstate Highway System in Kentucky and more than $125 million is budgeted over the next few years to upgrade the remaining 95 miles of existing parkways to interstate standard.  Some $34 million in construction is underway to reconstruct the interchange of the Pennyrile Parkway. It is anticipated that the entire 154 miles in Kentucky will be signed with the I-69 shield by 2017.
Groups in Kentucky and Indiana are concentrating efforts on advocating construction of an I-69 bridge over the Ohio River at Henderson, Kentucky.

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2014, 12:51:56 PM
Press release on the I-69/Purchase Parkway public meeting. (Don't have to be a Facebook member to view).
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681997218502696&set=a.193392244029865.38034.168622233173533&type=1

This June 18 article (behind $1.00 paywall) reported that both plans to be presented at the Open House would reportedly eliminate the stretch of the Purchase Parkway from the I-69/I-24 interchange north to Calvert City:

According to one local source, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet will present two different redesigns to the I-24 and Purchase Parkway intersection at a meeting scheduled by the Transportation Cabinet on Thursday, June 26 at 5 p.m. in the Calvert City Civic Center. Both those plans will reportedly eliminate the stretch of Purchase Parkway from the intersection to Calvert City.
The proposed change in the Purchase Parkway will affect hundreds if not thousands of commuters every day as well as large amounts of commercial traffic.

The new design will force traffic to use the intersection at I-24 and U.S. Highway 62 some distance further east of the present Purchase Parkway and U.S. Hwy. 62 interchange or use Hwy. 95 from U.S. High 68 as north bound traffic to Calvert City did before the construction of Purchase Parkway.

However, this article reports that KYTC ran into a lot of local resistance to elimination of the Purchase Parkway spur and that KYTC is "gonna go back to the drawing board":

Deputy State Highway Engineer Gary Valentine says there's been concern over the effect shutting down the interchange's connecting spur would have on drivers' commutes. But he says the interchange doesn't meet Federal Highway safety requirements and must be updated. Valentine says it needs to accommodate the safety of out-of-state travelers who have to make decisions at high speeds.
"Not the locals who know the area but the national traveler, it has to meet their expectations to make sure they maneuver the interchange safely," said Valentine. "So our initial options did do that but we do recognize that we have heard the public, and that's a major concern. So what we've committed to is that we're gonna go back to the drawing board. Reexamine is there any way to meet the national and regional needs of I-69 and kinda mitigate the impacts to the local community here."  
Valentine says project engineers will now look at other options, present them before the FHWA and come back later in the year to meet with the public again.
Construction on the interchange has been tentatively scheduled for 2016.

hbelkins

lordsutch

Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
I don't know why they can't use a design similar to what's being used at the WK/Pennyrile interchange.

Without seeing any diagrams of what the engineers were proposing, I can't see what the issue would be except for trying to keep it under the $38 million budget; maintaining the northern stub while adding a high-speed connection, eliminating the mainline loop weaves, and keeping full access at US 62 may just be too much for the budget to bear, particularly given the Highway 95 overpass just to the west.

Grzrd

This July 23 article reports that a contract has been awarded to upgrade the KY 56/ Sebree interchange, and that the final Pennyrile interchange upgrade project, KY 813 near Mortons Gap, is scheduled to be let January 2015:

Gov. Steve Beshear on Wednesday formally announced the awarding of a contract to upgrade the Kentucky 56/Sebree interchange to help the Pennyrile Parkway become part of Interstate 69.
Dumey Contracting of Benton, Missouri, was awarded the contract on a low bid of $10 million. The project has a completion date of Oct. 1, 2015. ....
The contract to Dumey was the second awarded this year for the I-69 corridor. The first, to Hall Contracting of Kentucky Inc., was for improvement of a 36.4-mile stretch of the Breathitt-Pennyrile Parkway in Hopkins, Webster and Henderson counties. It has a completion date of August 2015.
Late last year, Hazex Construction was awarded a contract to rebuilding the Kentucky 416/Robards interchange in southern Henderson County.
With the awarding of a contract for a new interchange near Sebree, the only interchange remaining is the KY 813 interchange with the Breathitt-Pennyrile near Mortons Gap. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet expects to put it out for bids in January 2015.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 22, 2014, 12:15:36 PM
This article from the Alliance for I-69 Texas website provides state-by-state I-69 updates and reports that all of I-69 in Kentucky (with the exception of the Ohio River bridge) should have I-69 shields by 2017:
It is anticipated that the entire 154 miles in Kentucky will be signed with the I-69 shield by 2017.
Quote from: Grzrd on July 27, 2014, 07:22:51 PM
This July 23 article reports that ... the final Pennyrile interchange upgrade project, KY 813 near Mortons Gap, is scheduled to be let January 2015

This article reports that, in addition to the recent Pennyrile Parkway contracts, a contract was recently awarded to upgrade thirty miles of the Purchase Parkway to interstate standards:

Gov. Steve Beshear today announced the awarding of a contract for improvements needed to bring a portion of the Julian M. Carroll Purchase Parkway up to interstate highway standards and eventual designation as Interstate 69.
The project involves reconstruction of 30 miles of the parkway from Exit 22 (mile point 22) in Graves County to U.S. 62 at Calvert City (mile point 52) in Marshall County. Hall Contracting of Kentucky was awarded the contract on a low bid of $8.08 million. The project has a completion date of Sept. 15, 2015.

hbelkins

I'm not sure if this includes reconstruction of the I-24 interchange or not. It says the project area runs to US 62.

Pete from Boston

At that point they can't not post Temp-69 shields on 41 in Henderson, right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.