News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Louis Road Meet - March 15, 2014 at 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 13, 2014, 01:34:51 AM
Does he get Mike's bed spot spooning with bugo?

I'm gonna spoon every hot guy there before the night is over.

bugo

Quote from: bugo on March 13, 2014, 02:00:08 AM
I'm gonna spoon every hot guy there before the night is over.

And by that, I mean I'll be spooning myself all night.

kharvey10

Crazy Volvo Guy you can have Mike's spot for lunch since he was forced to withdraw due to circumstances beyond his control.  PM me your email address.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: kharvey10 on March 13, 2014, 09:08:18 AM
Crazy Volvo Guy you can have Mike's spot for lunch since he was forced to withdraw due to circumstances beyond his control.  PM me your email address.

PM sent, thanks.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Alps

Laura now gets my bed on Friday, so if anyone wants to keep me company in the hotel lobby... Washington, Indiana. <3

bugo

Today is the big travel day.  Be safe everyone.

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on March 14, 2014, 10:28:57 AM
Today is the big travel day.  Be safe everyone.

Today?  Some of us won't leave until tomorrow morning.  :-P

Otherwise, I fully agree with Jeremy - stay safe.  It's supposed to be nice today and tomorrow, highs in the 60s (or 70) around St Louis.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

I a have about 4 more hours at work, then later tonight I will be enroute to Paducah, KY for the night, see you guys in Collinsville mid morning tomorrow! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Crazy Volvo Guy

I am at the Peelot (Pilot, for you non-trucker people) in E. Saint Louis taking a shower, then I'll meet those who are getting in tonight at the hotel.

hbelkins

Even if I had been planning on coming, I wouldn't have been able to. I just got my vehicle out of the shop tonight.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Crazy Volvo Guy

PASSING DOUG AT 95MPH IN A TURBO SONATA LOL

kharvey10

The meet was overall a success - there were a few hiccups that did happen (the St. Patrick's Parade downtown drew at least 300K people and the MoDOT traffic pattern change the day before the meet in the downtown area did not help and we were forced to scrap a lot of the downtown plans) and Brandon missed his turn to the Brussels Ferry and not everyone got to make it to Hardin as a result.  We were unable to get a group photo with the Musial Bridge in the background because there were people that obviously looked like they were up to no good at the Pumphouse when we arrived there and the traffic made it impossible to get in the Lacledes Landing area (and the parking in areas was $20).  The weather was very nice, which was a blessing (didn't have to deal with Mother Nature) and a curse (led to big crowds at that parade).  We ran out of sunlight before we could get into St. Charles County to explore that stuff - we will attempt that area again in 2016.

Some of them are going to try to get back into downtown this morning before leaving the area but the weather today is not favorable at all with rain and snow in the forecast.

There are a couple photos on the St. Louis Roads Facebook group this morning - more photos will be posted by the various attendees at a later date.

In short, I would extend Thank Yous to the following:
1. everyone that attended
2. Pappy's Smokehouse for the awesome meal that was catered. 
3. Ravanelli's in Collinsville for quickly seating 12 people after we returned to the hotel
4. Days Inn Collinsville for allowing us to park and carpool from that location.

The next St. Louis Roads Meet will be held sometime in 2016.

bugo

This was a huge clusterfuck of a meet but it was fun.

oscar

Here are two of my group photos from the meet, taken at the restaurant.  The second photo mostly chopped me out, but does include lots of SEND HELP and other signs.  I'll take a shot at captioning them later (I'm still on my way back home) -- Kim, etc., could you help me on some of the names, especially the taller guys in the back who unfortunately were just beyond the reach of my camera's flash?

from left: Tim Brown (bandit957), Steve Riner's wife (forgot name - sorry - sso), Doug Kerr (Dougtone) - behind Tim in top photo, David Corcoran (corco), Jeremy Lance (bugo) top photo only, Steve Riner (The High Plains Traveler), Cody Goodman (codyg1985), Cullen Wassell (Crazy Volvo Guy), Jason Ilyes (jpi), Kim Harvey (kharvey10), Marc Welby (lonestar14),  Steve Alpert (Alps), Sam Scholtens (getmngo), Gene VanDusseldorp, Brandon Gorte (Brandon), Laura Bianca Pruett (Laura), Brian Reynolds (brianreynolds), Michael Gronseth (bulldog1979), Scott Onson (SSOWorld), A. J. Bertin (A. J. Bertin), Oscar Voss (oscar)

hope that helps :) --sso
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

oscar

Quote from: Takumi on March 16, 2014, 09:57:07 PM
Poor Doug, not even visible in the first picture.

Yeah, an inside photo of a large group was less than ideal, but as Kim noted upthread the originally-planned outdoor shot near the Musial Bridge (which would've let people spread out more, rather than squeeze into one corner of the restaurant) turned out not to be an option, and our large group got broken up by the later stops on the tour.

Next weekend's meets, I'll try to bring a bigger flash, but doing those group shots outdoors (conditions permitting) would be ideal. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Takumi

Forecast looks good for next weekend.

Removed my previous post to ask about names in the picture. I recognize about half the attendees.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2014, 10:03:53 PM

Yeah, an inside photo of a large group was less than ideal, but as Kim noted upthread the originally-planned outdoor shot near the Musial Bridge (which would've let people spread out more, rather than squeeze into one corner of the restaurant) turned out not to be an option, and our large group got broken up by the later stops on the tour.

Next weekend's meets, I'll try to bring a bigger flash, but doing those group shots outdoors (conditions permitting) would be ideal. 

True, but we did get back together again later only to divide in half.  One group (with me) going to an Italian restaurant with a 5 cheese baked mac and cheese to die for, the others to Steak 'N Shake.

However, that said, it was a very long day, but very fun day for me.  I left here at 6:30 am and did not get back until after 2 am.

We met at the hotel where many of the attendees were staying at and drove over to Pappy's in St Louis.  Good BBQ, Kim - nice choice of venue.

We drove on the new I-70 bridge and had catsup.

With cookies.

We drove back and got some good views of the bridge in a not-so-good part of town.  At least I didn't get "fuck yo mama" yelled at me like Clark W. Griswold.

Had to go around the breakup of the St Paddy's Parade in downtown St Louis, but got a four-plex instead.

Then we got snack and drinks, and did some cool pooing and peeing before going up to the Chain of Rocks.

From there, our group went along the Mississippi bluffs on IL-100.  We did see a Piasa Bird.

Then we took rode two ferries through Illinois's Appalachia.

Then we went back to the hotel area for dinner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

SSOWorld

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
Here are two of my group photos from the meet, taken at the restaurant.  The second photo mostly chopped me out, but does include lots of SEND HELP and other signs.  I'll take a shot at captioning them later (I'm still on my way back home) -- Kim, etc., could you help me on some of the names, especially the taller guys in the back who unfortunately were just beyond the reach of my camera's flash?

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2014, 10:03:53 PM

Oscar - I captioned your pics.  I forgot a name and noted Jeremy/Doug MIAs
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Zeffy

Thanks for the photos Brandon. The meet looked like a good time. Maybe one day I'll be able to attend one of these...

Quote from: Brandon on March 16, 2014, 10:36:21 PM
We drove back and got some good views of the bridge in a not-so-good part of town.  At least I didn't get "fuck yo mama" yelled at me like Clark W. Griswold.

East St. Louis, I presume? I've heard about that place. Still better than Detroit most likely.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bulldog1979

Did anyone get a photo of the Hardin Bridge? The battery on my phone decided to die while I was taking a panoramic photo of the structure, so I lost that.

Other than that, I very much enjoyed the meet and my first trip to Missouri!

SSOWorld

Quote from: bulldog1979 on March 17, 2014, 01:12:21 AM
Did anyone get a photo of the Hardin Bridge? The battery on my phone decided to die while I was taking a panoramic photo of the structure, so I lost that.

Other than that, I very much enjoyed the meet and my first trip to Missouri!
Steve, corco, yanksfan and I got plenty of em.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on March 17, 2014, 12:03:58 AM
East St. Louis, I presume? I've heard about that place. Still better than Detroit most likely.

Nope.  This is from the St Louis side.  St Louis also has some rather sketchy areas.

And I've been to Detroit (quite often); St Louis and East St Louis have both lost more population.  St Louis and Detroit are like any other big city - good parts and not-so-good parts.  ESL is terminally broken, as is Cairo, Illinois (population has dropped from 12,000 to 2,000).

signalman

Looks like there was a huge turnout.  I really wanted to go to this meet, but I had to work all weekend.  With two guys out sick, I had no one to ask to cover my shifts either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.