News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-02-weekend-uptown-ramp-closures.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews will close several uptown ramps this weekend as part of a $16.3 million project to improve the roadway and 22 bridges along I-277.​​​​​

The following ramps will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday:

​-the ramps from Church Street and South Boulevard to the inner loop
-the ramp from the inner loop to East Stonewall Street
-the ramp from the outer loop to Carson Boulevard​​

All the work is weather permitting and subject to change. Detour information will be online at DriveNC.gov under Mecklenburg County.​​

Drivers need to slow down and use extra caution while going through the work zones and the detour routes. They also need to pay extra attention to the road for their own safety, as well as any passengers, occupants of other vehicles and the construction crews in the area.​
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-09-uptown-ramp-weekend-closures.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews are continuing their series of ramp closures as part of a $16.3 million project to improve the roadway and 22 bridges along I-277.​​

Beginning tonight at 9 p.m., crews will close the ramp from the outer loop to Carson Boulevard (exit 1D) until 6 a.m. Friday. ​​Other ramps will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday, Jan. 13:

-The ramp from the outer loop to Carson Boulevard;
-The ramp from the inner loop to Fourth Street (exit 2A);
-the ramp from Fourth Street to the inner loop;
-the ramp from the inner loop to South Boulevard (exit 1E); and
-the ramp from South Boulevard to the inner loop.
​ ​​
All the work is weather permitting and subject to change. Detour information will be online at DriveNC.gov under Mecklenburg County.​​

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-13-uptown-closures.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews have scheduled several ramp closures this week as part of a $16.3 million project to improve the roadway and 22 bridges along I-277, weather permitting.​​

Tonight and Tuesday night, crews will close the entrance and exit ramps at the South Boulevard interchange with the inner loop. The closures will be in place from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.​​​

On Wednesday night, the inner loop entrance and exit ramps at Fourth Street will be closed from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. Thursday. ​​

Additional ramp closures will be in place over the weekend from 9 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday, Jan. 20:​​

-the ramp from the outer loop to Carson Boulevard
-the exit and entrance ramps where Fourth Street meets the inner loop; and
-the ramp from the inner loop to East Stonewall Street​​

All the work is weather permitting and subject to change. Detour information will be online at DriveNC.gov under Mecklenburg County.

LM117

NCDOT is holding two public hearings next week to discuss planned improvements to US-74 between Idlewild Road and I-485.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-23-independence-public-hearings.aspx

Finrod

Quote from: LM117 on January 23, 2020, 12:31:04 PM
NCDOT is holding two public hearings next week to discuss planned improvements to US-74 between Idlewild Road and I-485.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-23-independence-public-hearings.aspx

IMHO that section of US 74 needs to be upgraded to a full expressway, express lanes or no.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tjcreasy

The failure to convert Independence Boulevard to a controlled access facility between Uptown and I-485 is one of the biggest missed opportunities in North Carolina. US 74 between Asheville and Wilmington is NC's missing interstate. I'm tired of people telling me it couldn't be done, and the express lanes will help mitigate this failure. Independence Blvd is a Frankenstein of failed vision.

sprjus4

^ The project is not only adding express lanes, it's also converting the remainder of the roadway into a Jersey freeway, a 50 mph roadway without median crossovers, RIROs, and overpasses. It won't be a full controlled access roadway, but it will be a free-flowing Expressway. Still a major improvement overall, with the elimination of all signals.

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 23, 2020, 03:57:20 PM
US 74 between Asheville and Wilmington is NC's missing interstate.
I-485 provides a 70 mph interstate highway bypass throughout the area, such cross-state interstate would not include US-74 from Downtown Charlotte to I-485.

ARMOURERERIC

With the dearth of radical highways to the due east, do you ever forsee Albermarle Rd getting the same Jersey Freeway treatment?

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 23, 2020, 08:21:09 PM
^ The project is not only adding express lanes, it's also converting the remainder of the roadway into a Jersey freeway, a 50 mph roadway without median crossovers, RIROs, and overpasses. It won't be a full controlled access roadway, but it will be a free-flowing Expressway. Still a major improvement overall, with the elimination of all signals.

I-485 provides a 70 mph interstate highway bypass throughout the area, such cross-state interstate would not include US-74 from Downtown Charlotte to I-485.

Ideally the Interstate could begin at I-26 in Columbus and follow US 74 from there, running concurrent with I-85 and then turning along NC 16 and I-277 through downtown Charlotte. Routing it around I-485 wouldn't be too bad, though, especially since that's the direction the flyovers point at the I-485/US 74 junction to the east.

This would also require upgrading NC 16 at least between I-85 and the end of the Brookshire Freeway, though ideally all of NC 16 could be upgraded out to the existing freeway section outside I-485. Has this been recently studied? I'm surprised that I can't find anything about it since it's a pretty big missing link between downtown and I-85 to the west.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tjcreasy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 23, 2020, 08:21:09 PM

I concur that the Independence BL upgrades are a huge improvement. It is still IMHO a huge missed opportunity. Independence BL is/was Charlotte's missing freeway. When the Silver Line is built and southeast Charlotte densifies, I believe planners will wish this opportunity was handled differently. This newly improved road will still have a ton of curb cuts and sidewalks which will introduce/retain many unnecessary safety hazards. A 4 to 6 lane Independence Blvd Freeway with frontage roads would have been more appropriate.

Roadsguy I have spoken with transportation planners in Charlotte. They are currently evaluating several alternatives for Brookshire some include upgrading Brookshire to a freeway between I-277 and I-485.

Mileage Mike

The future Asheville to Wilmington freeway would likely just be routed with I-485 in Charlotte. Too much development has been allowed around US74 between Briar Creek Rd and the Matthews/Charlotte city limits boundary. It will be too cost prohibitive to buy up the properties now. The only part they got right was between Uptown and Briar Creek several decades ago. I have noticed how in Matthews the businesses all have significant setback from the roadway to allow a freeway upgrade but it's that part between Briar Creek and the Matthews line that looks like it won't be able to ever be upgraded to a full freeway. I agree that NC missed the opportunity to buy up and reserve the property for possibly upgrading Independence to a full freeway years ago.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Mileage Mike on January 26, 2020, 11:13:48 PM
The future Asheville to Wilmington freeway would likely just be routed with I-485 in Charlotte. Too much development has been allowed around US74 between Briar Creek Rd and the Matthews/Charlotte city limits boundary. It will be too cost prohibitive to buy up the properties now. The only part they got right was between Uptown and Briar Creek several decades ago. I have noticed how in Matthews the businesses all have significant setback from the roadway to allow a freeway upgrade but it's that part between Briar Creek and the Matthews line that looks like it won't be able to ever be upgraded to a full freeway. I agree that NC missed the opportunity to buy up and reserve the property for possibly upgrading Independence to a full freeway years ago.

They'd probably only need to buy all the businesses on one side, but it would still be prohibitively expensive, though I can't imagine it would be much more prohibitively expensive decades from now if traffic counts rise to the point where they decide a freeway upgrade is necessary.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

orulz

Why would they route an Asheville-Wilmington freeway through central Charlotte? Central Charlotte is overwhelmed enough with through traffic. It doesn't need any more. I agree that a I-485 routing would make the most sense.

tjcreasy

An Asheville to Wilmington Interstate routed through central Charlotte will never happen due to NCDOT's/CDOT's development of Independence Boulevard. I acknowledge this. Assuming I-3X is ever comes into fruition it's routing through central Charlotte would have had very little effect on through traffic as through traffic would use I-485 anyway during peak traffic periods. Furthermore they aren't any major generators of new through traffic coming from both directions once the interstate standard upgrades of US 74 are complete both east and west of Charlotte.  Primary interstates would be routed to bypasses/beltways  if through traffic motorists were incapable of choosing the best route.

At some point in the future the NC16-Brookshire Blvd/I-85 interchange will be upgraded, potentially to facilitate an extension of the freeway portion of NC-16. The US74-Independence Blvd/I-277 interchange will also be modernized. I'm looking forward to seeing Independence/Brookshire becoming an improved core route regardless of designation.

I agree with everyone the I-485 is more than adequate though I will caution that I-485 will be hell on Earth within 20 years if currently development trends hold.

Georgia has special shield designations for State routes that are regionally important. I hope NC follows their path in doing this.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-05-mecklenburg-interstate-contract-award.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $10.4 million contract to improve approximately 1.3 miles of I-77 south of uptown Charlotte between the Morehead Street and Brookshire Freeway exits.

The contract calls for milling and paving, concrete pavement repairs, and installing pavement markings and snowplowable markers. ​​​

The project also includes improvements to the northbound and southbound bridges over Morehead Street, Irwin Creek/Stewart Creek Greenway and Fourth/Trade Streets.

Contract crews will clean and paint the bridges, replace bridge joints, perform repair​​s to the concrete deck, and add a new deck overlay to smooth the ride for motorists.

Work can start as early as March 2 and is scheduled for completion in August 2021.

VTGoose

Quote from: LM117 on February 05, 2020, 01:30:50 PM
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-05-mecklenburg-interstate-contract-award.aspx

Quote​CHARLOTTE — The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $10.4 million contract to improve approximately 1.3 miles of I-77 south of uptown Charlotte between the Morehead Street and Brookshire Freeway exits.

The contract calls for milling and paving, concrete pavement repairs, and installing pavement markings and snowplowable markers. ​​​

The project also includes improvements to the northbound and southbound bridges over Morehead Street, Irwin Creek/Stewart Creek Greenway and Fourth/Trade Streets.

Contract crews will clean and paint the bridges, replace bridge joints, perform repair​​s to the concrete deck, and add a new deck overlay to smooth the ride for motorists.

Work can start as early as March 2 and is scheduled for completion in August 2021.

Is there something in the North Carolina Code that says I-77 must be perpetually under construction? In all the years I have gone up and down that highway, I can't think of any time when some section didn't have orange barrels, a reduced lane, or some other project going on.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Mileage Mike

Quote from: VTGoose on February 06, 2020, 09:22:19 AM
Quote from: LM117 on February 05, 2020, 01:30:50 PM

Is there something in the North Carolina Code that says I-77 must be perpetually under construction? In all the years I have gone up and down that highway, I can't think of any time when some section didn't have orange barrels, a reduced lane, or some other project going on.

Haha agreed. It won't be ending anytime soon either as they're still cleaning up the area around the tolls lanes and later in the decade they'll be rebuilding the entire highway south of Uptown.

LM117

LM117

LM117

AcE_Wolf_287

Charlotte Needs another Main Interstate Route and 2 More Auxiliary Routes.

tjcreasy

Charlotte missed that boat with the failure to convert Independence Boulevard to an interstate. The only remaining opportunity will be the potential routing of a Asheville to Wilmington interstate via I-485.

jcarte29

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 10, 2020, 09:30:35 AM
Charlotte Needs another Main Interstate Route and 2 More Auxiliary Routes.

This isn't Atlanta. Any other interstate would feel like Raleigh getting I-87, in other words, out of place. Where would the auxiliary routes go? 485 is already a 65 mile loop. 85 and 77 are as vital through routes as any in NC...
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Revive 755

^ An I-3x along the US 74 corridor wouldn't be out of place.

Going more fictional:

1) Upgrade Billy Graham Parkway to a 3di.
2) New spur off the Billy Graham Parkway 3di into the airport.
3) New route of I-85 near Concord to I-485 near the NC 27 interchange.

index

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 10, 2020, 10:26:40 PM
^ An I-3x along the US 74 corridor wouldn't be out of place.

Going more fictional:

1) Upgrade Billy Graham Parkway to a 3di.
2) New spur off the Billy Graham Parkway 3di into the airport.
3) New route of I-85 near Concord to I-485 near the NC 27 interchange.
Adding on to that, I feel that if the Monroe Bypass was designated as a spur of I-85, (via 485) for one reason or another, it would see more use.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.