News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway 112

Started by bjrush, July 04, 2014, 07:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 07, 2014, 08:51:36 AM

Quote from: bjrush on August 07, 2014, 08:11:28 AM
Also, final paving work is underway and signals have been flashing yellow/red recently. It may be done in time for move in
It seems like it took them an awful long time to get it done. Kinda like the Johnson Mill Rd construction

Has that finally finished?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

Utility relocates delayed both projects
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on August 07, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 07, 2014, 08:51:36 AM

Quote from: bjrush on August 07, 2014, 08:11:28 AM
Also, final paving work is underway and signals have been flashing yellow/red recently. It may be done in time for move in
It seems like it took them an awful long time to get it done. Kinda like the Johnson Mill Rd construction

Has that finally finished?
No it has not

bjrush

And once they finish they will start widening Johnson Rd from Chapman to Highway 412
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on August 07, 2014, 12:17:09 PM
And once they finish they will start widening Johnson Rd from Chapman to Highway 412

I remember when both roads were "Johnson Road". I'm guessing you mean "Johnson Station Rd" aka Elmore?

bjrush

Johnson Rd in Springdale
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on August 07, 2014, 07:57:31 AM
I guess I don't see where it says it is feasible. It will never be built with anything but toll money and with tolls the ridership is way too low
Page 70 of the study.

"WILL A WESTERN BELTWAY BE NEEDED?

Yes. Travel demand modeling conducted for the Western Beltway Study found that even with
construction of additional lanes on I-540, significant traffic would use a western beltway or an
alternative route by 2035. Future beltway traffic will generally accommodate vehicles
generated by new development in the western regions of Washington and Benton Counties as
well as vehicles traveling through the area. Volumes forecast for the southern beltway segment
approach 45,000 vehicles per day. This amount of traffic warrants the need for a freeway or
major arterial such as the Western Beltway."

Um, that means feasible.  If it doesn't, then we're going to be stuck in this clogged mess forever.  I wasn't necessarily saying AR 112 should be "the Western Beltway", because it can't be... Rather, it should be developed into regional corridor.  But clearly the Western Beltway is needed and warranted.

bjrush

QuoteUm, that means feasible.  If it doesn't, then we're going to be stuck in this clogged mess forever.  I wasn't necessarily saying AR 112 should be "the Western Beltway", because it can't be... Rather, it should be developed into regional corridor.  But clearly the Western Beltway is needed and warranted.

I don't know your background, but I can tell you from an engineer's perspective that this

QuoteHowever, toll analyses performed for the study
concluded that toll revenues would provide only a small portion of the funding needed for
construction of a western beltway. Due to major changes and uncertainty in traditional highway
funding sources, no alternative funding options could be identified.

means it is not feasible. If a project has no funding source, it is not feasible. In this context, feasible means possible. With no funding, the project is not possible

QuoteDue to these findings, a western beltway does not appear to be a solution to [I-49] congestion in the short term but would furnish relief by diverting traffic away from the facility.

This means they will widen I-49 to eight lanes before they even consider adding a beltway, because even if they added a new terrain beltway I-49 would remain congested. The project driver is to remove congestion on I-49. This proposal provides relief, but not a solution to the problem. It doesn't "answer" the "question" of I-49 congestion. This is another reason why it is not feasible
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

I think an eastern beltway would fly better. AR 265 is becoming a major thoroughfare and will likely continue to in the future

M86

Quote from: bjrush on August 08, 2014, 01:53:42 PM
This means they will widen I-49 to eight lanes before they even consider adding a beltway, because even if they added a new terrain beltway I-49 would remain congested. The project driver is to remove congestion on I-49. This proposal provides relief, but not a solution to the problem. It doesn't "answer" the "question" of I-49 congestion. This is another reason why it is not feasible

I guess we have different definitions of "feasible".

To throw the idea out the window of a "western bypass" is ridiculous.  Northwest Arkansas has reached half a million... Little Rock MSA has 725,000.  Compare Little Rock's metro to NWA metro.  Little Rock has a very extensive freeway network... We have a 2-lane I-49 with daily accidents and frequent fatalities.  AHTD hasn't followed the outdated I-540 study from 2006.  There were a lot of mistakes made.

NWARPC/AHTD needs to realize that AR 112 should be an "inter-regional corridor"...

Unfortunately, it'll be too late by the time any "person in power" will realize this.

bjrush

It is not really needed enough to justify the huge expense. It will take 10 years to widen I-49 to 6 lanes. Think how long and expensive a new terrain interstate would be in addition to that. Add to that expense that it still won't alleviate traffic on I-49 and you have a non-starter.

Hell I doubt any of us live to see the US 412 bypass completed. Another useless route

But just to give you an idea of how long it took, a feasibility study in 1998 said the 412 bypass was a go. They are turning dirt in 2014. And that is only due to a funding mechanism that was unforseen at the time
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

In the mid 60's there was a proposed extension of I-540 from I-40 at Van Buren to NW Arkansas, but it took almost 30 years to be built (and on a different alignment)

US71

KNWA-TV reports that 112 should be finished by the time school starts.

bjrush

Lol it looks like they met their deadline...before students came back!

Except it was supposed to be done before the 2013-14 school year!
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on August 11, 2014, 09:06:03 PM
Lol it looks like they met their deadline...before students came back!

Except it was supposed to be done before the 2013-14 school year!

D'oh!

M86

Quote from: bjrush on August 09, 2014, 08:12:14 AM
It is not really needed enough to justify the huge expense. It will take 10 years to widen I-49 to 6 lanes. Think how long and expensive a new terrain interstate would be in addition to that. Add to that expense that it still won't alleviate traffic on I-49 and you have a non-starter.

Hell I doubt any of us live to see the US 412 bypass completed. Another useless route

But just to give you an idea of how long it took, a feasibility study in 1998 said the 412 bypass was a go. They are turning dirt in 2014. And that is only due to a funding mechanism that was unforseen at the time

So, do nothing based on studies?  I don't get it.
How is the 412 bypass a useless route?

bjrush

Truck traffic will not bypass downtown Springdale on the new route. Tyson and Georges are still in downtown Springdale

Also the part east toward the lake will never be built. Honestly the part west toward Siloam Springs will be a long time in the making too, if we ever see that

I-49 is more important than having a four lane road through steep terrain between Springdale and Beaver Lake, so I dont see it as a priority in future STIPs
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: M86 on August 11, 2014, 11:18:09 PM
Quote from: bjrush on August 09, 2014, 08:12:14 AM

So, do nothing based on studies?  I don't get it.
How is the 412 bypass a useless route?

Anyone who says the 412 Bypass is a useless route, has obviously never driven through Springdale...especially during Rush Hour. I dove through yesterday around 1pm and it was a clusterfork .

bugo

412 through Springdale is awful.  A bypass could easily shave 30 minutes off the trip between the expressways.  Also, 412 is slowly being converted into an expressway all the way across the state, and it is becoming more attractive to long distance travelers and truckers.  The bypass is ESSENTIAL.  A Siloam Springs/West Siloam Springs bypass is also badly needed.

Arkansastravelguy

412/Sunset thru Springdale is IMO the worst road in NWA. The bypass (and the airport connector) is a huge part of NWAs future

bjrush

I don't see the bypass making US 412 through Springdale any better. The traffic generators will still be in downtown Springdale. Tyson is building a new data center north of their existing campus, for example. Industry isn't moving outside of town. Its moving in if anything. I don't see any real population density appearing east of Highway 265, probably ever

What little traffic uses US 412 as a through route through NWA will see the only real benefit of a complete US 412 bypass. I just drove US 412 between Springdale and Huntsville a few days ago. You can drive for miles without seeing a soul. Four lane US 412 between Jonesboro and Springdale should be the state's 15485th highest priority at the moment

The part between Highway 112 and I-49 will be heavily traveled and is a good investment. And a road toward the airport, but anything east of Highway 265 is a waste of money
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on August 12, 2014, 04:34:05 PM
I don't see the bypass making US 412 through Springdale any better. The traffic generators will still be in downtown Springdale. Tyson is building a new data center north of their existing campus, for example. Industry isn't moving outside of town. Its moving in if anything. I don't see any real population density appearing east of Highway 265, probably ever

What little traffic uses US 412 as a through route through NWA will see the only real benefit of a complete US 412 bypass. I just drove US 412 between Springdale and Huntsville a few days ago. You can drive for miles without seeing a soul. Four lane US 412 between Jonesboro and Springdale should be the state's 15485th highest priority at the moment

The part between Highway 112 and I-49 will be heavily traveled and is a good investment. And a road toward the airport, but anything east of Highway 265 is a waste of money
The AHTD wasted their money widending 412 between Springdale and Huntsville?  Rubbish.

Arkansastravelguy

Maybe if you drove it at 3am on Christmas Day you wouldn't see anybody. While I agree it's not heavily traveled, there's a good bit of traffic on it. And 412 bypass would have traffic on it, Fedex is only a mile up the road and so is JB Hunt and it's training centers and such. A lot of truck traffic uses 264 in Lowell that would use the bypass

bjrush

8200 VPD (2013) at the Washington/Madison county line

7800 between Hindsville and Huntsville

4700 at Carroll/Madison county line

For reference, its 7500 on Highway 112 south of US 412 in Tontitown. If 7800 is the warrant for a 4-lane divided highway in Arkansas, we have a lot more important roads meeting that standard right here in Benton/Washington County (you know, where the people actually live)
Woo Pig Sooie

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on August 12, 2014, 04:41:33 PM

The AHTD wasted their money widending 412 between Springdale and Huntsville?  Rubbish.

A near interstate or interest quality 412 across Arkansas would be a great economic generator to cities that have all the ingredients to excel like Harrison and Mt. Home that are stunted due to accessibility issues. A 4 lane to US 65 along with a true limited access bypass of Harrison should be higer up there than 67 to Mo Mo and most of I-69 in terms of greater economic benefit to the state..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.