News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

There's also Lufkin. I would probably use "Nacogdoches - Lufkin" as they're both about the same size and fairly close to one another. Barring that, err toward Lufkin since the name is shorter and it's larger by a few thousand people.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: NE2 on November 05, 2013, 02:21:08 PM
But US 59 is the route to take to get to Tyler.

Nope. Not for me.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on November 05, 2013, 07:14:19 PM

Nope. Not for me.

How would you go from Texarkana to Tyler then? I-30 to Mt. Pleasant?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

UptownRoadGeek

I was definitely thinking Lufkin or Marshall at the least. If TxDOT saw fit to sign Cleveland as a control city then those two are definitely contenders, then again we're talking about AHDT. Shouldn't I-30 be referenced on the sign as well since Dallas is there?

bugo

Quote from: US71 on November 05, 2013, 02:06:16 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 05, 2013, 01:57:39 PM
Tyler?

But US 59 doesn't go through Tyler, though...271 and 69 do ;)

Quote from: Road Hog on November 05, 2013, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 04, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
Was there not anything other than Houston suitable enough to be used as a control city in Texarkana. It's almost like Memphis, TN being used as a control city in Chicago.

There ain't much out there in East Texas.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on November 05, 2013, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 05, 2013, 07:14:19 PM

Nope. Not for me.

How would you go from Texarkana to Tyler then? I-30 to Mt. Pleasant?

Or 67 ;)

msunat97

Quick update on the Hwy 82 4-lane project South of Lake Village.  The new bridge on 82 is completed at the creek that feeds into Lake Chicot.  It was dark so I couldn't tell the progress of the other side of the road.  I hope 82 is 4 laned by this time next year.  Now if Mississippi can find some $$$ to 4 lane the Greenville bypass...

Grzrd

This Nov. 29 article reports on efforts to save the US 67 bridge over the Black River:

.... The U.S. 67 bridge over the Black River in Randolph County opened in 1934 and is a landmark in the area. The span has a swivel pivot in the middle, which was used to turn the two-lane bridge to accommodate river traffic.
The swivel was welded closed when U.S. 67 became a divided road.
In August, The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation department notified Pocahontas officials that the bridge, which handles about 25,000 vehicles daily, needed to be replaced because of structural deficiencies.
Five Rivers Historic Preservation will receive $425,000 in state money to repair and oversee the bridge. Group president Bill Carroll said the organization is considering creating a walking trail across the bridge to connect two downtown parks.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on December 04, 2013, 08:32:18 PM
This Nov. 29 article reports on efforts to save the US 67 bridge over the Black River:

.... The U.S. 67 bridge over the Black River in Randolph County opened in 1934 and is a landmark in the area. The span has a swivel pivot in the middle, which was used to turn the two-lane bridge to accommodate river traffic.
The swivel was welded closed when U.S. 67 became a divided road.
In August, The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation department notified Pocahontas officials that the bridge, which handles about 25,000 vehicles daily, needed to be replaced because of structural deficiencies.
Five Rivers Historic Preservation will receive $425,000 in state money to repair and oversee the bridge. Group president Bill Carroll said the organization is considering creating a walking trail across the bridge to connect two downtown parks.

It would be great if it could be preserved. :)

Road Hog

Arkansas tends to be good about preserving bridges if the effort is shown to have it preserved. I was disappointed that the locals didn't show much interest in saving the two truss spans on AR 7 north of Dover.

lamsalfl

Has there ever been a proposal to build a freeway from West Memphis to Lake Village to open up Arkansas to industrialization along the Mississippi River?  Seems likes the state could greatly benefit from the great river.  Water woes out west will probably lead to greater population growth along the MS and OH rivers too eventually.   

bjrush

Somehow I don't see a lot of people moving from California to Phillips County, Arkansas. I think direct potable reuse is a more effective future solution
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Thought some of y'all that live out of state may want to see the IdriveArkansas signs that AHTD has covered the state with

This one on I-40 not far east of the I-440 junction

Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Thanks for noticing!

These signs have been going up the last several weeks around the state and are being placed in major corridors and entry points to the state.

Look for a presence in the app store for IDRIVEARKANSAS in the next few weeks!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

Quote from: AHTD on January 08, 2014, 10:23:50 AM
Thanks for noticing!

These signs have been going up the last several weeks around the state and are being placed in major corridors and entry points to the state.

Happy, happy, joy, joy! I just found MoDOT's last month and was hoping Arkansas would soon follow. :)

M86

Quote from: AHTD on January 08, 2014, 10:23:50 AM
Thanks for noticing!

Excellent!

A few questions, if you don't mind.

Is AHTD going to launch a Facebook page?  And, is their Twitter account (@AHTD) going to cover the whole state, and not just a select area?

And, finally, is arkansashighways.com going to be re-done?

AHTD

At this time, AHTD will not be launching a Facebook page and yes, the Twitter account does cover the entire state. The reason you don't see many tweets about incidents (accidents) in NWA is because we do not receive the information from Arkansas State Police.

A majority of news releases about activity in this area are generated locally by the district. This too will change as we work to improve our methods. We tweet all of our news releases and breaking information about the state highway system as it becomes available. You see a majority from central Arkansas because it is the low-hanging fruit that's easy to pick. We will be working to include more information from more areas of the state.

Yes, www.arkansashighways.com will be redone. We are working to complete the www.idrivearkansas.com site first and will follow-up with native apps for Apple, Android and Windows. Improvements to www.arkansashighways.com will allow the public to follow the genesis of a project from planning to completion.

Understand we have a way to go before this happens, but we do realize the existing site needs an update and will work toward that goal. In the meantime, we are happy to be a part of this forum and welcome questions and comments about the Arkansas highway system. We will also routinely provide information as it becomes available.

M86

Thank you!  This is music to my ears!  I love the openness...

Two thumbs up from me!

Now please change your roadway lighting policy.  There is no reason why county/city/etc should provide lighting on an Interstate, especially in urban areas.

Road Hog

No need to card AHTD ... It is indeed 100 ... founded in 1913. (I looked it up.)

AHTD

That's correct!

We celebrated 100 years last April. You can read all about it in the March 2013 issue of Arkansas Highways Magazine (see below).

http://www.arkansashighways.com/Magazine/2013/March/ARHighwaysMag_March2013_web.pdf

Be advised this is almost a 16MB PDF and it's best to download directly to your desktop and flip through it that way. We are currently working on making this publication available as an e-book, which will allow folks to flip through the pages on tablets, etc.

bugo

AHTD: It would be nice if your organization would sign ALL of the highways that share a stretch of road.  It is nearly impossible to follow certain highways from end to end just by signage alone.  This includes US highways, which is inexcusable. 

M86

Quote from: bugo on January 13, 2014, 02:03:11 PM
AHTD: It would be nice if your organization would sign ALL of the highways that share a stretch of road.  It is nearly impossible to follow certain highways from end to end just by signage alone.  This includes US highways, which is inexcusable. 

Agreed.  I've even talked to AHTD engineers... They won't budge... Dothan, Alabama signage is NOT an excuse!  It's ridiculous.

M86

Quote from: AHTD on January 09, 2014, 12:29:39 AM
At this time, AHTD will not be launching a Facebook page and yes, the Twitter account does cover the entire state. The reason you don't see many tweets about incidents (accidents) in NWA is because we do not receive the information from Arkansas State Police.

Why?  Hire me!  I'll do a Facebook page for AHTD!  Good grief.

The Twitter does not cover the entire state... Rename the Twitter to @AHTDLittleRock, or @AHTDCentralAR

So, how do you receive info about incidents and accidents there?

US71

Quote from: AHTD on January 13, 2014, 01:44:27 PM
That's correct!

We celebrated 100 years last April. You can read all about it in the March 2013 issue of Arkansas Highways Magazine (see below).

http://www.arkansashighways.com/Magazine/2013/March/ARHighwaysMag_March2013_web.pdf

Be advised this is almost a 16MB PDF and it's best to download directly to your desktop and flip through it that way. We are currently working on making this publication available as an e-book, which will allow folks to flip through the pages on tablets, etc.

I used to read the back issues in the U of A Library when I was in college :)

AHTD

Arkansas State Police will alert us via email or our radio dispatch about an incident. ASP deals with the incidents, we deal with maintenance of the right of way. We are currently working out a method by which incidents reported by ASP will automatically appear on IDRIVEARKANSAS.

Not all ASP Troops regularly report activity. It's something they are working through as well.

Additionally, news releases for much of NWA are published from our district office in Barling and most of them are not Tweeted. That too will be remedied.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.