News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Radio stations that banned "dirty" songs

Started by bandit957, April 11, 2018, 11:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2018, 07:24:11 AM
Quote from: wxfree on April 12, 2018, 01:07:48 AM
On the opposite side, I remember years ago, at least back to the 90s, KZPS in Dallas, a classic rock station, played unedited Pink Floyd's "Money" with the line "don't give me that do goody good bullshit."  More recently, though, the local stations were silencing the offending word.

At the same time, Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner" was played with the line "funky shit goin' down in the city" replaced with the line "funky kicks goin' down in the city."

I believe WAQY did the same.

WAQY-FM 102.1 of Springfield, MA is classic rock station ROCK 102. When they play "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits, they reverse-edit the word f----t, who has his own jet airplane and is a millionaire. WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford, a.k.a. 102.9 The Whale - Hartford's Classic Rock, plays the line unedited. WDRC-FM reverse-edits Roger Daltrey's f-bomb for the other song mentioned. WHCN-FM 105.9 of Hartford, a.k.a. The River 105.9, more or less leaves that line out.

hbelkins

As a kid, I wore out a vinyl version of Johnny Cash's live San Quentin album. The album was full of bleeps. I can understand bleeping the single version of "A Boy Named Sue," but I never really understood why between-song banter was bleeped, since that was never going to get airplay. I wonder if an unbleeped version of that album was ever released?

Compare that to Bruce Dickinson's introduction of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" on Iron Maiden's live album that came out in the mid-80s. "The moral of this story is, here's what not to do if a bird sh*ts on you." Or any live Ozzy Osbourne album. LOL

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2018, 04:00:06 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 12, 2018, 03:59:11 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 12, 2018, 12:59:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 12, 2018, 12:12:45 PM
Anyone else remember when "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" had an AM version and an FM version?

I'm aware that there's one version where Johnny calls the Devil a son of a gun and one where he calls the Devil a son of a bitch, I didn't know those were AM and FM versions.
I believe he's inferring that the AM version used gun whereas the FM version used bitch.

The one and only time I heard it, it was an FM station, and it said "gun".
The above-AM/FM reference date back to a time when there was indeed a difference between a song that was played on an AM station vs. it being played on an FM station (usually the distinction was song length as well as content).  When the song came out circa 1970s, such was true.

Today such terminology is viewed more as a figure of speech.

A possible reason why one doesn't hear the version with the b-word in it on radio stations anymore may be due to the song author (Charlie Daniels) no longer wanting that version played anymore due to personal/religious convictions.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bandit957

Quote from: Duke87 on April 12, 2018, 11:12:45 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2018, 10:24:29 AM
WAQY also cuts the British word for cigarette out of the second verse of "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits.

Most stations I've heard skip the second verse, since I think that was a standard edit. Even the old WCLU skipped that verse.

That verse is omitted from the music video as well.

The video used to include the second verse when it first came out. But I haven't seen the video in years.

'American Top 40' (which WKRQ carried) played the version that skipped the second verse. But 'Countdown America' (which WCLU carried) did play the second verse.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

BamaZeus

AT40 would play "I'm that type of guy" by LL Cool J and scramble the word "screwed" toward the end.  It kinda sounded like Pig Latin.

Instead of "when I screwed her, you couldn't understand it", you'd hear "When I (ood-scr) her, you couldn't understand it"

Even the official video just cuts it out altogether   2:42 mark 
https://youtu.be/BZlxvn_jWgM

kurumi

Quote from: Duke87 on April 12, 2018, 11:12:45 PM
... What you will hear as "got a full *record scratch* in my *record scratch*" on the radio is really just "got a full clip in my pistol-a". Totally acceptable to play on the air, but not to market as kid-friendly since some parents think guns are inappropriate.

Well now what are we going to call the devil?

"Ah tole you once you very bad man ah'm the best that's ever bin"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

OracleUsr

"Pumped up Kicks" by Foster the People.  Some stations silenced "bullet" and "gun" in the chorus (of a song about school shooting)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Rothman

Quote from: OracleUsr on April 14, 2018, 04:01:25 AM
"Pumped up Kicks" by Foster the People.  Some stations silenced "bullet" and "gun" in the chorus (of a song about school shooting)
Huh.  Never heard that edited version, but I know there was that MIA hit that turned the gunshots to stomps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2018, 10:09:04 AM
Huh.  Never heard that edited version, but I know there was that MIA hit that turned the gunshots to stomps.
Paper Planes?

michravera

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 13, 2018, 11:01:15 AM
Anyone else remember when "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" had an AM version and an FM version?

I'm aware that there's one version where Johnny calls the Devil a son of a gun and one where he calls the Devil a son of a bitch, I didn't know those were AM and FM versions.
I believe he's inferring that the AM version used gun whereas the FM version used bitch.

The above-AM/FM reference date back to a time when there was indeed a difference between a song that was played on an AM station vs. it being played on an FM station (usually the distinction was song length as well as content).  When the song came out circa 1974, such was true.

A possible reason why one doesn't hear the version with the b-word in it on radio stations anymore may be due to the song author (Charlie Daniels) no longer wanting that version played anymore due to personal/religious convictions.

Charlie Daniels was every bit as religious and rebellious in 1974 as he is now. If anything, calling the devil a "son of a bitch" would confirm his religiosity. If he had gotten more religious, he'd be more adamant about calling the devil a "son of a bitch" now than before!

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on April 14, 2018, 06:09:01 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 14, 2018, 10:09:04 AM
Paper Planes?
Yep.  I think the stomps actually sounded better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: michravera on April 14, 2018, 06:42:26 PM

The above-AM/FM reference date back to a time when there was indeed a difference between a song that was played on an AM station vs. it being played on an FM station (usually the distinction was song length as well as content).  When the song came out circa 1974, such was true.

Charlie Daniels was every bit as religious and rebellious in 1974 as he is now. If anything, calling the devil a "son of a bitch" would confirm his religiosity. If he had gotten more religious, he'd be more adamant about calling the devil a "son of a bitch" now than before!

The song actually came out in 1979, late in the days of AM music stations; within 5 years, most AM stations would be dedicated to news and talk, unless it was a simulcast of the FM station. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2018, 10:57:18 AM
As a kid, I wore out a vinyl version of Johnny Cash's live San Quentin album. The album was full of bleeps. I can understand bleeping the single version of "A Boy Named Sue," but I never really understood why between-song banter was bleeped, since that was never going to get airplay. I wonder if an unbleeped version of that album was ever released?

Kind of like Chumbawamba's album Tubthumper. There are various audio clips between the actual songs on the album, some of them feature bleeped expletives. As far as I am aware, no unbleeped version of the album exists. However, the clips that feature bleeps are sampled from a couple of different obscure British movies, which do not feature bleeps natively - so the uncensored audio does exist, but only in the source material.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to chase down copies of these movies so I could rip the uncensored audio and splice it into the Chumbawamba album but... that'd be more effort than it's worth. And not even really doable for the majority of them - most of the samples have added music in the background which would be lost if I swapped them out for rips directly from the movies.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 14, 2018, 11:38:17 PMThe song actually came out in 1979, late in the days of AM music stations; within 5 years, most AM stations would be dedicated to news and talk, unless it was a simulcast of the FM station.
That may have been true for AM stations in New England but in other parts of the country such stations played music longer.

BTW: after doing a bit more checking.  The album version of the song contained b*tch whereas the 45 version (usually played on AM stations) had the word gun.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jasonh300

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2018, 10:24:29 AM
WAQY also cuts the British word for cigarette out of the second verse of "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits.

I believe you mean the word meaning "bundle of sticks".  The British word for cigarette is a shortened form of that word.

There was a radio edit of "Money for Nothing" that got played when the song was still in the Top 40 that had that part completely left out.  In later years, the classic rock stations would play the album version.  I haven't heard that song on the radio in years, but I'm guessing that the stations that play it use some kind of edited version to avoid offending anyone.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jasonh300 on April 16, 2018, 06:11:38 PM
There was a radio edit of "Money for Nothing" that got played when the song was still in the Top 40 that had that part completely left out.  In later years, the classic rock stations would play the album version.  I haven't heard that song on the radio in years, but I'm guessing that the stations that play it use some kind of edited version to avoid offending anyone.

It still depends on the station. I heard the uncensored version on Duluth's classic rock station recently (on a Sunday afternoon, so it wasn't a late night "who gives a shit" decision), but a lot of stations probably opt for the shorter version regardless because it means they can fit in more songs - and more importantly, more ads.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

english si

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2018, 10:24:29 AMWAQY also cuts the British word for cigarette out of the second verse of "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits.
You mean the British word for a bundle of sticks or delicious ball of off-cuts and offal. There's 6 letters in that word, not three.

The British word for cigarette is just three letters, not 6 - cf the common phrase by malapropic smokers 'can I fum a bag off of you?' (and yes, this is still said with the letters swapped back, despite containing two words that also have definitions that are derogatory towards homosexuals. No one sees it as an anti-gay slur, because it isn't meant as such).

Dire Straits are using the US slur meaning (albeit satirically) in the song and even in the 80s in the UK they were having to censor it - one live performance on TV they used the word 'Queenie' instead after being told they couldn't say the 6-letter word - which was probably a worse slur. Wikipedia says that Canadian radio stations all agreed to ban the uncensored version about 7 years ago.

The autocorrect just says 'cigarette' for the 6-letter word and 'bundle of sticks' for the 3-letter word. While it is wrong in the same way (and needs to be fixed - I think this is the third time I've said the same thing - certainly twice about Money for Nothing), it doesn't say 'British word for'. Don't come to Britain and hand people some sticks if they ask for a cigarette, or think its a pack of smokes if you order cheap-meat balls off a menu!

hbelkins

When did they change "f a g" to automatically change to "bundle of sticks" here? I thought it used to be changed to "cigarette."

Guess I should see what the n-word now reverts to.

Addendum: After using the preview function, it still changes to "hep cat."

Are there any other words besides  "f a g" and the n-word that automatically get corrected? I think we've had that discussion before.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2018, 11:34:55 AM
When did they change "f a g" to automatically change to "bundle of sticks" here? I thought it used to be changed to "cigarette."

Guess I should see what the n-word now reverts to.

Addendum: After using the preview function, it still changes to "hep cat."

Are there any other words besides  "f a g" and the n-word that automatically get corrected? I think we've had that discussion before.

C-word if surrounded by spaces
could οf → could have, same for should οf and would οf
"Sent frοm my" and "using Τapatalk"
Racist ___clown
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

The first and fourth entries on that list make no sense. "Genius" and "mezzanine" for the offending words?

And now I know how those little white pieces of text get inserted into posts -- it's an auto-correct that's set by the admins.

michravera

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 14, 2018, 11:38:17 PM
Quote from: michravera on April 14, 2018, 06:42:26 PM

The song actually came out in 1979, late in the days of AM music stations; within 5 years, most AM stations would be dedicated to news and talk, unless it was a simulcast of the FM station.

But "Uneasy Rider" came out in 1973 or so. This wasn't Charlie's first rodeo.

SectorZ

Not radio, but...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/walmart-refuses-to-carry-strypers-new-album-god-damn-evil/

Amazing that they're too stupid to realize the difference between "God Damn" and "Goddamn", which mean 2 totally different things. So embarrassed that I ever worked for them...

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on April 18, 2018, 07:24:54 PM
Not radio, but...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/walmart-refuses-to-carry-strypers-new-album-god-damn-evil/

Amazing that they're too stupid to realize the difference between "God Damn" and "Goddamn", which mean 2 totally different things. So embarrassed that I ever worked for them...

That reminds me of another radio edit I once heard:  The line in "Uncle John's Band" by The Grateful Dead that says "God damn, well I declare" being cut to an overdubbed instrumental snippet to a sudden cut-in to "Well I declare".
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Henry

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 18, 2018, 09:07:02 PM
Not radio, but...

That reminds me of another radio edit I once heard:  The line in "Uncle John's Band" by The Grateful Dead that says "God damn, well I declare" being cut to an overdubbed instrumental snippet to a sudden cut-in to "Well I declare".
What is the difference? To me, they're both the same, like "dammit" and "damn it", with the former basically being a shortened version of the latter (with no space in between).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SectorZ

Quote from: Henry on April 19, 2018, 09:42:02 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 18, 2018, 09:07:02 PM
Not radio, but...

What is the difference? To me, they're both the same, like "dammit" and "damn it", with the former basically being a shortened version of the latter (with no space in between).

Envision a comma after 'God', though the comma existing or not means the same thing. It's also what Michael Sweet of Stryper tried to explain to people. Stryper is a Christian Metal band.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.