News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Guess the State Route Chal...
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 02:03:51 PM
NC-210?
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 02:00:17 PM
Interstate 95 also becomes a toll road upon entering New Hampshire: the Blue Star Turnpike. Only Interstate 93 does not become a toll road after crossing the state line; therefore it would probably be the least likely to get a toll, assuming the state line toll proposal is implemented, which it probably won't due to opposition to it.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 01:56:44 PM

Cavnue: We want to test out some automated car stuff on a public roadway.
MDOT: Wanna take a GP lane on I-94 between Detroit and Ann Arbor to test out said features?
Cavnue: YES!
MDOT:  :evilgrin:
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by Alex - Today at 01:51:38 PM
Following over six and half years of construction, the Gateway Expressway (SR 686A/690) in Pinellas is finally set to open this Friday!

QuoteAccording to the Florida Department of Transportation, the new toll roads and I-275 Express Lanes are expected to open to traffic on Friday, April 26.

The Gateway Expressway not only connects U.S. 19 and I-275 but also directly connects the Bayside Bridge — north of 49th Street N. — to I-275.
Quote from: IndyAgent on Today at 12:46:43 PMAs we all know the northern section of 69 starts at the 200 mile marker even though its off 20 miles or so. Is this common around the country to do this?

I don't think so.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 01:35:46 PM
NC route detour signage where NC 16 leaves US 421 in Wilkesboro.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220242253047008&set=a.10220242338649148)

On 6th St in North Wilkesboro just north of US 421 BUS/NC 18/NC 268 (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220242266727350&set=a.10220242338649148)

Last post by thenetwork - Today at 01:34:12 PM
^^^ it gets weird around Detroit.  On some of the freeways the BGS will say DOWNTOWN, but when you get just outside of downtown, the signs start saying Civic Center instead.  EB I-96 does this last-minute switch as an example.
Northeast / Re: I-95 and New Jersey Turnpi...
Last post by Chris19001 - Today at 01:27:41 PM
Let's not forget that the Pennsylvania Railroad also still held a decent amount of sway back in the early 50's.  That additional approachment along the route 1 corridor would have likely run into headlong opposition from their interests in preserving a NYC to/from Philly market.  With that said, the PRR didn't employ nearly as many as it once did, and wasn't headquartered in Jersey.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 203
Last post by heynow415 - Today at 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Voyager on April 23, 2024, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: heynow415 on April 22, 2024, 12:38:08 PMAnother advantage of a 108/Sonora Pass tunnel alignment for an I-70 extension is that it would have lined up nicely with passing just south of Stockton (and the Port of) and then as an east/southeast entry to the Bay Area via the Altamont Pass/I-580/I-205/SR 120. 

I always thought it was strange how 108/120 are basically freeways up to the Sonora area and then 108 has sections that keep going as random freeway and expressway in the mountains for it to just go straight into a windy road after Strawberry and Pinecrest Lake.

The Sonora "freeway" section is relatively new in the grand scheme of things but the three short expressway segments east of Knights Landing, through Twain Harte, and at Long Barn have been in place 50+ years.  It is unfortunate that the notion of extending 120 east of 99 as a freeway to Oakdale is basically dead, though Escalon and Oakdale are probably rightly concerned that a freeway bypassing those communities would be a huge hit to them economically.

Four-laning 108(120) from the east end of the Knights Ferry segment to Yosemite Junction would seem like a relatively simple project given the ruralness and terrain; getting from the Junction through Jamestown to the Sonora segment would be a much bigger challenge.  The section from the east end of the Sonora segment to the Twain Harte expressway is supposedly in the works.  It's unlikely that the gap from Twain Harte to Long Barn would ever be built since trying to thread it through Mi-Wuk Village and other hamlets along the way, plus the terrain, is likely not justifiable from a cost, environmental, and constructability standpoint.  And beyond Pinecrest it just isn't needed.
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 01:10:10 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 22, 2024, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 21, 2024, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: Shedingtonian on April 21, 2024, 10:49:05 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 20, 2024, 10:52:23 PMWhen urbanization has taken over:  No city name, just DOWNTOWN.  Sbd I-75 in Saginaw, MI:

I figure it's safe to assume that it's talking of the downtown of the city you're in. That signing practice is common here in Spain, and to me it seems logical enough.

I agree it's safe to assume, and I've seen this on pull-through signs, but it's unusual (to me at least) to see it on an exit sign.

I've seen "Downtown" used as a control before in person, didn't realize it was unusual. Here in Huntsville, AL, both I-565 and the Parkway have exits signed for both the local streets the exits are for and for downtown.
I guess just "Downtown" by itself would be a bit odd though.

This is certainly an odd County Parish Route shield.

I've seen Downtown used a few times as well as Business District with no mention of the city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.