News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 12, 2016, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: opspe on June 08, 2016, 10:57:42 PM
Ah that reminds me of this little gem in Vancouver BC, which was removed when the intersection was converted to a roundabout a few years ago.  Location: https://goo.gl/maps/fe686W83KiD2

http://i.imgur.com/kcprfx3.png

What is equally interesting is the use of 'ONLY' on the pavement in the right turn lane in the Aug 2015 streetview. I haven't seen that anywhere else in the country.

I always thought the "only" bit was redundant, so I'm not pleased to see this making its way up north. Though, it doesn't surprise me. BC's design manual seems to borrow a lot from the US.

PHLBOS

Not a road sign per say, but Series D button-copy no less along Long Beach Township, NJ.

This one's tough to see via GSV but it's actually a wrong-way sign directed towards cyclists that ride against the flow of vehicular traffic along Long Beach Blvd. (CR 607).

Single-Digit Country Route shield (CR 6) on street blade sign in Stafford Twp. (Ocean County), NJ for Mill Creek Rd.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 13, 2016, 09:27:56 AM
Single-Digit Country Route shield (CR 6) on street blade sign in Stafford Twp. (Ocean County), NJ for Mill Creek Rd.

Is this uncommon in New Jersey (route shields on street blades)? This is a very common practice here in the NW.

tckma

Quote from: jakeroot on June 13, 2016, 11:45:08 AM

Is this uncommon in New Jersey (route shields on street blades)? This is a very common practice here in the NW.

It's fairly common in NJ, in fact, that's about the only place I have ever seen it.

jeffandnicole

It's uncommon to have a single digit county route in NJ.  Most county routes are 5xx, 6xx & 7xx.  2 counties (or 3) have an older system for county routes which allows them to have single and double digit county routes. 

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2016, 12:15:15 PM

It's uncommon to have a single digit county route in NJ.  Most county routes are 5xx, 6xx & 7xx.  2 counties (or 3) have an older system for county routes which allows them to have single and double digit county routes.

I wasn't sure if it was the route or the street blade that was unique. My mistake.

tckma

My understanding was that NJ's 5xx routes were actually considered secondary routes and maintained by the state, even though they are signed as county routes, whereas the 6xx (and possibly 7xx) routes were "true" county routes.

ekt8750

Quote from: tckma on June 13, 2016, 01:39:10 PM

My understanding was that NJ's 5xx routes were actually considered secondary routes and maintained by the state, even though they are signed as county routes, whereas the 6xx (and possibly 7xx) routes were "true" county routes.

Correct. Also there's even a few 8xx routes out there.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's not really odd or interesting, but wasn't sure where else to post it.

Minnesota goes ahead and fully embraces the "winter and road construction" jokes.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bzakharin

Bergen County, aside from using single and double-digit county routes, also still signs them on white squares and not blue pentagons (except on traffic light blades)

peterj920

Quote from: talllguy on November 11, 2014, 10:33:50 PM
OK? Is it normal to put OK?

The OK for a lane that could turn left or go straight was very common in Wisconsin on freeway off ramps at one time.  Most of them have been replaced in the last few years and do not have anything under the arrows. 

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on June 13, 2016, 03:47:18 PM
Quote from: tckma on June 13, 2016, 01:39:10 PM

Correct. Also there's even a few 8xx routes out there.

Nope...all county routes are maintained by the counties (generally speaking).  5xx routes are generally primary county routes which tend to go longer distances and have heavier traffic counts.  They are also generally the first to be plowed.  They can also transverse several counties.  And there will only be one of each 5xx in the state (ie: there's only one 501, 502, etc).  6xx and 7xx routes tend to be more localized and contained within the county, although it's not terribly uncommon for a road to go from one county to another to have the same number.   Those route numbers can be repeated as well throughout the state.  There could be a Rt. 601 in Gloucester County and another Rt. 601 in Middlesex County, completely unrelated to each other. 

There's only one 8xx route in the state, and it's unsigned.

There are rare occasions where the state may be the primary agency for a county route.  There's also cases where the county is the primary agency for a state route as well (NJ 347 & a portion of US 322 are examples).  But there's no real rhyme as to which routes are maintained by other agencies...it's all up to individual agreements.

tckma

Quote from: peterj920 on June 15, 2016, 01:29:27 AM

The OK for a lane that could turn left or go straight was very common in Wisconsin on freeway off ramps at one time.  Most of them have been replaced in the last few years and do not have anything under the arrows.

Generally I only see "OK" in situations like this:  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4455976,-77.3958664,3a,49.4y,210.75h,80.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqQwAtoB-s9YEXT1_LEWwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: tckma on June 15, 2016, 11:11:36 AM

Generally I only see "OK" in situations like this:  https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4455976,-77.3958664,3a,49.4y,210.75h,80.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqQwAtoB-s9YEXT1_LEWwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I always thought this was a little weird:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4152532,-93.7908066,3a,19.1y,122.71h,95.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7TL3yzzHE23olQ6B97pVKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

noelbotevera

Quote from: tckma on June 15, 2016, 11:11:36 AM

I've seen New York City use "OK" and "NO" at intersections. Yes, "NO" is actually bolded.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

opspe

BC at it again, with its sunburst signs and irregular typefaces.  This one's from Saanich.

roadfro

I used to see this on some lane assignment signage in the Las Vegas for optional lanes. I feel like it was an old MUTCD standard or option that is no longer present.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Eth

I saw "OK" occasionally in Georgia back in the '90s on overhead lane assignment signage like that, though as I recall it was limited to lanes from which you could turn either left or right. I don't think I saw it with a straight movement.

jakeroot

I see the "OK" message around Seattle on the ground sometimes:

freebrickproductions

Took a trip down to Birmingham, AL yesterday and saw several unique signs.
Cullman, AL on I-65:
Exit 310 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Gardendale, AL:
Robin Dr by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Dooley Rd by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Speed Limit 35 Strictly Enforced by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Pedestrian Crossing by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Black Creek Park by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Cordova:
Caution! by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Caution! by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This APL at the end of I-22 in Birmingham appears to use Caltrans spec arrows? They seem to be shorter than standard ones:
APL sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And then I saw these in downtown Birmingham:
Stop Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
One Way by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Pedestrian Crossing by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MASTERNC

Posted this in the PA Turnpike thread, but thought some might not see it there since it also applies to this sign topic.

I was on the PA Turnpike today and encountered a new graphic (wordless) sign they are using in the construction zone near Carlisle (they displayed it on the VMS and on freestanding signs).  It is a long white rectangular sign and shows two trucks side by side, bordered by side profiles of guard rail on the right and median on the left.  A green circle surrounds the truck in the left lane while a red "no" symbol is over the truck in the right lane (indicating trucks are to be in the left lane).  It reminds me somewhat of the European "no passing" signs but it uses the same color circles as the small hazmat signs you sometimes see in the Midwest.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 17, 2016, 08:34:08 PM
Posted this in the PA Turnpike thread, but thought some might not see it there since it also applies to this sign topic.

I was on the PA Turnpike today and encountered a new graphic (wordless) sign they are using in the construction zone near Carlisle (they displayed it on the VMS and on freestanding signs).  It is a long white rectangular sign and shows two trucks side by side, bordered by side profiles of guard rail on the right and median on the left.  A green circle surrounds the truck in the left lane while a red "no" symbol is over the truck in the right lane (indicating trucks are to be in the left lane).  It reminds me somewhat of the European "no passing" signs but it uses the same color circles as the small hazmat signs you sometimes see in the Midwest.

Trucks are required to be in the left lane? I thought that they were prohibited from the left lane.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

cl94

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2016, 09:08:58 PM

Trucks are required to be in the left lane? I thought that they were prohibited from the left lane.

In some construction zones (see added emphasis above), the right lane is on the shoulder, which may not have the same structural capacity as the travel lanes. Quite common, except the sign is usually all-text ("trucks use left lane").
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2016, 09:23:03 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2016, 09:08:58 PM

In some construction zones (see added emphasis above), the right lane is on the shoulder, which may not have the same structural capacity as the travel lanes. Quite common, except the sign is usually all-text ("trucks use left lane").

That, and the Turnpike sometimes has one lane narrower than the other in construction zones (trucks are restricted to the wider lane).

This is normally signed with a text sign "Trucks Buses Left Lane Only", and a few of the text signs were also present. This was the first time a non-text sign has been used for this anywhere I've seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.