News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 30, 2018, 09:04:52 AM
Oh no, it's the second coming of Frankensign!

Speaking of Frankensign, does anyone here have a link or a screenshot of the original Frankensign in Virginia? I believe the original photo was on Photobucket. :pan:

7/8

I find it interesting that Broomfield, CO signs US 36 with "Denver" and "Boulder" banners instead of "East" and "West" on city streets (it's signed east/west on the highway itself). Here's two examples (as a bonus, these ones have white borders on the US 36 signs):

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrpablue

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cjk374 on May 04, 2018, 06:12:57 PM
Also with a reminder to celebrate cinco de mayo tomorrow.  :sombrero:  :sombrero:  :sombrero:

Two years ago, the restaurant UNO was advertising "Dos de Mayo", which was supposed to be Cinco de Mayo with Dos Equis beer. Somehow, they didn't realize that "dos de mayo" is three days earlier, May 2.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2018, 11:45:45 PM
I find it interesting that Broomfield, CO signs US 36 with "Denver" and "Boulder" banners instead of "East" and "West" on city streets (it's signed east/west on the highway itself). Here's two examples (as a bonus, these ones have white borders on the US 36 signs):

https://i.imgur.com/rzp6Hycl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K11zIFMl.jpg

Reminds me of the way Australia and others sign highways. No cardinal directions, just "highway xx towards xx".

MNHighwayMan

This is the first time I have ever seen a Minnesota route marker use something beyond Series D (I think it's Series E?) on a route marker.

Big John

TBKS1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 05, 2018, 09:46:23 PM
This is the first time I have ever seen a Minnesota route marker use something beyond Series D (I think it's Series E?) on a route marker.

I'm 90% sure that E-M.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

roadman65

I like this diagramical sign.

Love the way it includes the at grade intersection with Griffin Road before the actual split.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Saw this funky wide font in Tennessee over the weekend. First time I've seen it in the Volunteer State.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 1 - 089 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Not quite Craig County-bad, but the smaller "r" in Kingsport and the alignment are both odd.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 2 - 002 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Something looks off about this one.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 2 - 007 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: US 89 on May 02, 2018, 01:02:28 AM

Speaking of Frankensign, does anyone here have a link or a screenshot of the original Frankensign in Virginia? I believe the original photo was on Photobucket. :pan:

Thankfully I also posted it to Facebook at the time, though it sure took a while for me to find.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

D-Dey65

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
^^^

That's similar to this.

Damn! I wonder if they should start adding signs like that in Bristol, Virginia and Tennessee. Maybe I should start looking for these on the east coast too. Someplace like the South of the Border area might find this useful.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2018, 02:34:03 PM
Not quite Craig County-bad, but the smaller "r" in Kingsport and the alignment are both odd.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 2 - 002 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

It looks like the i in Kingsport is also too small, and it almost looks like the c in Wilcox Drive is a capital C instead of a lowercase one.

EDIT: I'm wrong about the C, but that's a huge lowercase i in Wilcox Drive...
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

chays

US 89

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 08, 2018, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 02, 2018, 01:02:28 AM

Thankfully I also posted it to Facebook at the time, though it sure took a while for me to find.

FWIW, it isn't showing up for me, just a gray "do not enter" symbol.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 89 on May 08, 2018, 06:11:06 PM

Works for me, but in case it doesn't for others, here's an Imgur rehost:

TBKS1

Quote from: TBKS1 on April 23, 2018, 09:25:51 PM
Cross post from the Daily Picture Challenge.

And this is what you call a quick improvisation. (I took this on April 11th, 2018)

AR-5 + AR-321 + AR-367 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

Yes, this was taken in a construction zone. At least it works.  :bigass:

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 08, 2018, 07:03:47 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 08, 2018, 06:11:06 PM

Works for me, but in case it doesn't for others, here's an Imgur rehost:

I see why everyone was calling it a frankensign now. These two actually look pretty similar...
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

roadman65

Was on Flickr and found this oddity.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49/26262729507/in/pool-3034019@N21/

Then these from GSV shows cool signs for both I-81 and I-78 leaving Hersheypark in Hershey, PA.
https://goo.gl/maps/UzJJN7aqTZQ2
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2018, 10:16:38 PM
Then these from GSV shows cool signs for both I-81 and I-78 leaving Hersheypark in Hershey, PA.
https://goo.gl/maps/UzJJN7aqTZQ2

Those ugly US Route shields though...

hbelkins

Several of these monstrosities can be found in Knoxville. Looks like they were imported from Pennsylvania.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 1 - 220 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2018, 10:02:42 AM
Several of these monstrosities can be found in Knoxville. Looks like they were imported from Pennsylvania.

2018 Tennessee US 11 clinching trip Day 1 - 220 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Ouch, those US route shields look pretty pointy and dangerous.
Will Weaver

doorknob60

Here's an odd one in Boise:

And from the other side:

They aren't wrong, but they're almost too correct.

MNHighwayMan

Funny you should post about those, as I just found some slightly less unusual ones on Friday. These are all on Iowa 146 in Gilman.

1st curve NB

1st curve SB

2nd curve NB

2nd curve SB

I'm not really sure these (or at least the first pair) are an appropriate use of modified curve signs, but they're interesting nonetheless.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.