News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Seen while out for a walk in our neighborhood. The bottom sign was almost surely posted by residents in that particular area, as I haven't seen a similar one anywhere else near any of the other playgrounds. (I didn't see a proper "Speed Limit 15"  sign, either, so I assume this is unenforceable.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jmacswimmer

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 23, 2020, 07:52:30 PM
Massachusetts' way of telling you how popular their highway is:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.193832,-71.0780143,3a,75y,184.96h,94.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGwJWwXVTBGfLyNv8ETk0DA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Maryland's versions, seen on US 29 & I-70 (although unlike the Mass example, these are moreso aimed at weekday commuter traffic).

Sidestory with the I-70 one: the current one replaced an older version in 2018, and the older one never actually flashed (or at least, I never witnessed it myself).  The new one does flash, but only once the upcoming backup at exit 91 reaches a certain length (I believe this camera a mile past the sign is what triggers it to start flashing, because if there is a backup on the exit 91 ramps but it doesn't spill back onto the mainline and reach that camera, the sign doesn't flash).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 24, 2020, 02:35:18 PM
https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.193832,-71.0780143,3a,75y,184.96h,94.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGwJWwXVTBGfLyNv8ETk0DA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Maryland's versions, seen on US 29 & I-70 (although unlike the Mass example, these are moreso aimed at weekday commuter traffic).

Sidestory with the I-70 one: the current one replaced an older version in 2018, and the older one never actually flashed (or at least, I never witnessed it myself).  The new one does flash, but only once the upcoming backup at exit 91 reaches a certain length (I believe this camera a mile past the sign is what triggers it to start flashing, because if there is a backup on the exit 91 ramps but it doesn't spill back onto the mainline and reach that camera, the sign doesn't flash).

I beleive you are correct from my own experiences along this road. 

With the lack of completion of I-70 into Baltimore, more traffic is pushed onto 695 north than the interchange was designed to handle.  There is a constant slowdown on the ramps as there is a pinch point permitting only one lane of traffic for a brief period right in the heart of the stack.  This interchange needs to be redesigned to allow for a continuous two lane ramp onto 695 north.

As 70 is no longer going to be extended, the full interchange can be totally redesigned and the 70 stub can be closed off.  A type of directional T interchange should work well, maybe something similar to 795/695. There should also be better access from 70 to the Security Square Mall Area.

If that were done, the sign in question would no longer be necessary.

Eth

I'm quite certain I've seen similar signs on I-75 through Gainesville, FL, but GMSV seems to be failing me at the moment.

UCFKnights

Quote from: Eth on June 24, 2020, 07:39:31 PM

I'm quite certain I've seen similar signs on I-75 through Gainesville, FL, but GMSV seems to be failing me at the moment.
The problem interchanges were expanded and thus the signs removed a couple years ago:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6809765,-82.4385253,3a,15y,333.56h,90.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1snGAXW_h27ou_FggSa5A81g!2e0!5s20150201T000000!7i13312!8i6656

JUHSD-rvalencia

Daly City in my area sometimes uses the wrong font as supposed to the FHWA "Highway Gothic" series of fonts as proscribed in the MUTCD. The font they sometimes use is Univers (Condensed) series of fonts, which is what I normally use for graphics designing.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: mrsman on June 24, 2020, 05:35:05 PM

With the lack of completion of I-70 into Baltimore, more traffic is pushed onto 695 north than the interchange was designed to handle.  There is a constant slowdown on the ramps as there is a pinch point permitting only one lane of traffic for a brief period right in the heart of the stack.  This interchange needs to be redesigned to allow for a continuous two lane ramp onto 695 north.

As 70 is no longer going to be extended, the full interchange can be totally redesigned and the 70 stub can be closed off.  A type of directional T interchange should work well, maybe something similar to 795/695. There should also be better access from 70 to the Security Square Mall Area.

Speaking as someone who was commuting thru that interchange pre-COVID, totally agreed with you.  The good news is that replacing the interchange is on MDOT SHA's radar.

However, I suspect widening the ramp to 2 lanes will only move the bottleneck unless 695 is widened heading north towards 795.  At present, even with that ramp's chokepoint essentially functioning as a ramp meter, 695 is still very sluggish at peak hours heading north out of exits 16 & 17.  If 2-laned, allowing that ramp to flow unrestricted onto 695 would only worsen that next bottleneck since the right lane would then have to end.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 25, 2020, 10:04:24 AM
Quote from: mrsman on June 24, 2020, 05:35:05 PM

Speaking as someone who was commuting thru that interchange pre-COVID, totally agreed with you.  The good news is that replacing the interchange is on MDOT SHA's radar.

However, I suspect widening the ramp to 2 lanes will only move the bottleneck unless 695 is widened heading north towards 795.  At present, even with that ramp's chokepoint essentially functioning as a ramp meter, 695 is still very sluggish at peak hours heading north out of exits 16 & 17.  If 2-laned, allowing that ramp to flow unrestricted onto 695 would only worsen that next bottleneck since the right lane would then have to end.

Yes, that is true.  I would say though that the longer you can add a 5th lane there, the better it will be.  So yes, it is preferred all the way to 795, but even an extra half mile will just make it easier for traffic to merge in to the mainlines.  If 695 is flowing well, some of the traffic from the 70 ramps can merge into the three left lanes of 695, leaving the new 4th lane for the rest of the 70 traffic.  There are many freeway to freeway merges that have two laned ramp then go to taper off over all.

I can refer you to the way 95 south merges into 495 toward Silver Spring.  4 lanes of Beltway + 2 lanes from 95 start as 6, then taper to 5, then taper to 4 within about a mile.  Yes, there are still 6 lanes to the first exit (New Hampshire Ave), but the 6 lanes do not go all the way to 270.  This works OK most of the time and only really backs up at heavy times, far less frequent than at 695/70.

Kniwt

Some of the stop signs in Yellowknife NWT have gone bilingual:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yellowknife-english-wiliideh-stop-signs-1.5626342

Quote"We've been here since time immemorial. We've been here since before the city was established," said Dettah Chief Edward Sangris. "So we wanted to get people to recognize the traditional territory of the Yellowknives Dene, the Wiliideh Dene, in our language."

EJumean

Quote from: Kniwt on June 25, 2020, 07:15:47 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yellowknife-english-wiliideh-stop-signs-1.5626342

Here in Ontario, many of the stop signs in the First Nations reservations have bilingual stop signs, and they obviously vary, depending on the specific Native language spoken. The reservation near my community has signs that read "Nook Shkaan" on the top line and "Stop" on the bottom line.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Kniwt on June 25, 2020, 07:15:47 PM

Quote"We've been here since time immemorial. We've been here since before the city was established," said Dettah Chief Edward Sangris. "So we wanted to get people to recognize the traditional territory of the Yellowknives Dene, the Wiliideh Dene, in our language."

I suppose Adidas is let through however.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Came across this interesting sign on MD 170 just outside BWI Airport, which is clearly trying to prevent vehicles from stopping on the light-rail tracks (3M signalheads also make an appearance beyond the tracks, presumably for the same reason).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 26, 2020, 03:48:51 PM
Came across this interesting sign on MD 170 just outside BWI Airport, which is clearly trying to prevent vehicles from stopping on the light-rail tracks (3M signalheads also make an appearance beyond the tracks, presumably for the same reason).

What's even the point of the second set of signals?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2020, 04:28:56 PM

What's even the point of the second set of signals?

Reassurance? If they weren't there, I could see a scenario where a left-turning car pulls forward across the tracks, enters the actual intersection, and suddenly panics, unsure whether or not they have the right-of-way.

And maybe the yellow phase on the 2nd set lags behinds the 1st set, to make sure no one gets caught in the middle?
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 26, 2020, 04:36:17 PM
I could see a scenario where a left-turning car pulls forward across the tracks, enters the actual intersection, and suddenly panics, unsure whether or not they have the right-of-way.

Totally legitimate concern.  You're right.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

"THESE ARE YOUR SIGNALS!"
Don't think I've ever had a sign yell at me before.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50048359948/in/dateposted-public/

This one uses a large panel for one route shield.  Unless GDOT hopes to add control cities some day, GA Hwy. 99 goes no where to a large city unless Boy Scout Estates will blossom into a noteworthy community to be listed on a highway guide..

Most places use a sign one third of this size.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Eth

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2020, 10:27:18 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50048359948/in/dateposted-public/

This one uses a large panel for one route shield.  Unless GDOT hopes to add control cities some day, GA Hwy. 99 goes no where to a large city unless Boy Scout Estates will blossom into a noteworthy community to be listed on a highway guide..

Most places use a sign one third of this size.

Certainly interesting, since even elsewhere in Georgia, a smaller sign is used for the same situation.

D-Dey65

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but just in case I haven't, is this sign MUTCD-compliant?

Think about one of these before you answer.

:biggrin:  :-P

roadfro

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 27, 2020, 11:42:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but just in case I haven't, is this sign MUTCD-compliant?

Think about one of these before you answer.

:biggrin:  :-P

Since it doesn't control traffic, MUTCD compliance is irrelevant.

But it is a nice reuse of sign design and traffic control device for a specific purpose in a public setting.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.