Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

I went on GSV to take a look at that roundabout and geeeezzz! What a mess.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Occidental Tourist

Ah, Glenwood Springs, the town that smells like a wet fart.

At least Doc Holliday's grave is an interesting hike.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on December 22, 2021, 03:12:32 AM

you're dead on, with the aroma. but that hot springs pool is niiiiicccceeee....
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 22, 2021, 09:06:31 AM

Huh, didn't notice a peculiar odor when I visited.

[checks deodorant brand]

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2021, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 22, 2021, 09:06:31 AM

Huh, didn't notice a peculiar odor when I visited.

[checks deodorant brand]

might depend on the wind, or the ventilation settings in your car. i usually notice it around the last turn before the pool. i don't find it particularly unpleasant, though. might be because i really like the hot springs pool though. we go up there so my mom can visit relatives and shop, and i'm just like 'here's my keys don't wreck my car i'll be in the pool'
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

thenetwork

Quote from: plain on December 22, 2021, 12:17:10 AM
Quote from: plain on December 22, 2021, 12:17:10 AM

That roundabout is just one part of that elaborate intersection. 

As ugly as it is, it's still a helluva lot better than the old CO-82 alignment from I-70 to 6th Avenue then over the old, narrow Grand Avenue Bridge.

The former KFC next to the Hotel Colorado would strongly disagree, though. As their business dried up once the old bridge was closed and replaced.

CoreySamson

What font is the "BUSINESS" in? Looks kind of like squished Clearview, but I could be wrong. Regardless, still very closely spaced.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Just Clearview 5W with the letters nearly touching each other.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bobby5280

Yeesh, that extremely tight kerning on the word "BUSINESS" is just as bad as some of the green signs we have here in Lawton on Rogers Lane. I-44 thru Lawton has some Clearview signs with sub-par letter spacing along with some other laughable oddities. BTW, those letter spacing issues wouldn't look any better set in Series Gothic.

Tom958

I vaguely remember seeing IR for Interstates somewhere, but USR is a new one on me.

Scott5114

Quote from: Tom958 on December 24, 2021, 01:06:41 PM
I vaguely remember seeing IR for Interstates somewhere, but USR is a new one on me.

And the sign in the other direction erroneously refers to the ramp to 52 east as U.S. 52 West (if you turn around across the bridge you can see that the other direction is signed as 52 west). An eastbound control city here would be helpful.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tom958

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2021, 04:25:55 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on December 24, 2021, 01:06:41 PM

And the sign in the other direction erroneously refers to the ramp to 52 east as U.S. 52 West (if you turn around across the bridge you can see that the other direction is signed as 52 west). An eastbound control city here would be helpful.

Someone asked if this was a local install. I hope so.   :rolleyes:

tolbs17

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2021, 06:46:34 PM
North Carolina-style sign in another state (this is in Virginia).

I-85
https://maps.app.goo.gl/auNNAbt9CDLhAUNr5

Virginia historically used rounded corners like North Carolina. Many signs across the state are still rounded, although there is less in Northern Virginia compared to elsewhere from what I've seen.

I want to say they were still installing them until the mid-2000s, but I would appreciate a correction if a Virginia local has a better idea.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jakeroot on December 25, 2021, 07:03:11 PM

I-85

Virginia historically used rounded corners like North Carolina. Many signs across the state are still rounded, although there is less in Northern Virginia compared to elsewhere from what I've seen.

I want to say they were still installing them until the mid-2000s, but I would appreciate a correction if a Virginia local has a better idea.

This one was installed in 2016 or 2017 but most new installs have been squared for a while.  Many new installs are on top of rounded ones which can be seen from behind.

hbelkins

Virginia has been using extruded panels instead of increment panels on some of its guide signage in recent years. I'm not sure if it's a new state spec, or if they are just giving the contractor the option if they can provide extruded panel signs cheaper than they can increment panels.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

I-85

Indeed, this is a BGS supplied by NCDOT that is located on I-85 southbound just across the border in Virginia.  I'm pretty certain that the old sign was replaced with this one when US-401 was extended from Norlina up to I-85 in 2001. 

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/wUGVjFZT82RNXitT6
Glad to see that this bottom copy overhead at the western terminus of NJ 33 in Trenton, NJ still exists.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 26, 2021, 06:26:25 PM

I-85

Indeed, this is a BGS supplied by NCDOT that is located on I-85 southbound just across the border in Virginia.  I'm pretty certain that the old sign was replaced with this one when US-401 was extended from Norlina up to I-85 in 2001.
The sign is in Virginia, but yes, I'm fairly certain it was supplied by and follows NCDOT spec. Based on Street View, it went up around 2017-2018.

It was when I-85 was reconstructed entirely between the Virginia state line and Henderson, and all signage was replaced along that section of highway.

So it's not a VDOT sign nor does it follow VDOT standards, it just happens to be placed in Virginia since the North Carolina exit is immediately over the border, and advance notice is still needed.

wanderer2575

A friend e-mailed this to me; I'm sure it was passed to him by someone.  I have no idea where it was taken.

Rothman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2021, 12:13:13 AM
A friend e-mailed this to me; I'm sure it was passed to him by someone.  I have no idea where it was taken.

Photoshopped.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

tolbs17

When looking around in the street view, I saw this sign and it looks awesome! I wish we had these here in North Carolina. Especially on I-40 west of Waynesville which goes through the terrain with so many curves...

ClassicHasClass

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.