News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ever been to a sporting event that was forfeited?

Started by bandit957, May 27, 2018, 07:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Has anyone ever been to a sporting event that was forfeited?

In Major League Baseball, the home team has to forfeit the game if fans get too unruly or throw too much trash on the field. But no game has been forfeited since 1995. I think the other big sports leagues allow forfeits too, but they're probably even less common in those leagues.

What about smaller leagues such as the minor leagues, school sports, or Little League?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

1995hoo

When I was a kid, the other team forfeited a soccer game to our team once. Another year, our team would have forfeited except the other team agreed to reschedule. In both cases, the fault was with the coach of the forfeiting team for communicating the wrong kickoff time to the team.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

When I was in little league one year, a team in my league had so many players injured for the rest of the season that they had to forfeit their last few games. They were forfeited in advance knowing the roster issue, so they still got together and played a scrimmage with the teams they were scheduled to play. It was cool getting a free win near the end of the year.

Beyond that, never seen one.

GaryV

Quote from: bandit957 on May 27, 2018, 07:28:31 PM

In Major League Baseball ...
But no game has been forfeited since 1995.

Au contraire.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night

And as a youth soccer referee, I have had to record at least one forfeit for a team that didn't have enough players show up.  Probably more than once, but I can't remember for sure.

US 89

Quote from: GaryV on May 27, 2018, 09:06:23 PM

That was in 1979. Bandit said the last one was in 1995.

hbelkins

Pretty sure I went to a high school game back in the 1980s that was forfeited when the visiting team no-showed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

In soccer, a forfeit typically means being awarded a 0-3 loss. It happens somewhat rarely, either for stadium unpreparedness, fielding ineligible players, political interference, state of dress, or of course fan conduct.

I hope to never be at a match that gets forfeited.

1995hoo

Regarding non-MLB major league forfeits, the NHL has had two:

(1) In 1933, Chicago's coach was ejected from a game against the Bruins for punching the referee. Chicago's players left the ice as a protest and the ref forfeited the game to Boston.

(2) Montreal forfeited a game due to the infamous Rocket Richard Riot.

Honorable mention: The Montreal Wanderers folded during the league's first season after their arena burned down. Their remaining games were recorded as victories for Ottawa and the Canadiens, making them essentially forfeits.

NFL records do not count any game as ever having been a forfeit, though it bears noting that prior to 1933 the scheduling rules were very different and much looser than they are now, so games were frequently cancelled on short notice.

The NBA has never had a forfeit, although the franchise that is now the Brooklyn Nets forfeited a game to Kentucky when they played in the old ABA.

GaryV

Quote from: US 89 on May 27, 2018, 09:37:11 PM

Sorry, misread it as 1955.

CNGL-Leudimin

I haven't been on any event that was forfeited. The closest I came was last April on the way back of a roadtrip. I detoured to watch a regional association football match, only to find it had been postponed. It was played two weeks later, but that day I was literally on the other side of Spain. At least now I have a photo for the road sign city name photo game that I've been wanting to play since then (for the record, the name of the village starts with R).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

abefroman329

Between T-ball, youth soccer, and a church softball league, I'm sure I've played in a game that has been forfeited at some point, I just don't recall.

DandyDan

Never anything that was pro, college, or high school. When I played soccer as a kid, we didn't have enough players show up one game, so we officially lost. However, those of us who showed up played the other team, probably because both coaches thought it was a good idea to get practice in, and we ultimately went on to win.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

I was umpiring a little league ball game when a coach decided too many (and we're talking, like, 2) close calls went against him so he pulled his team off the field.

The play he pulled his kids from the field was a very close play at first.  You know, the ones where major league umpires sometime get wrong.  In the 1990's, neither the MLB or Little League had instant replay.  In the 1990's, the MLB Umpires got paid hundreds per game.  I got a hot dog and soda.

Actually, the little league coaches were some of the worst managers.  Some acted as if this was going to be their ticket to the major leagues, and every kid was going to become a major league player.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: GaryV on May 28, 2018, 06:49:23 AM
Quote from: US 89 on May 27, 2018, 09:37:11 PM

Sorry, misread it as 1955.

Disco Demolition night was the last full game to be forfeited.  The 1995 one ended a few outs early when the fans at Dodger Stadium would not stop throwing the balls on the field that were part of a promotional giveaway.  The 95 game ended as 2-1 Cardinals in the 9th, where the 79 one goes in as a 9-0 forfeit score.

I'll bet some here have been to NCAA games that have been vacated after the fact because of the use of ineligible players or as part of other sanctions.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2018, 03:42:11 PM
Actually, the little league coaches were some of the worst managers.  Some acted as if this was going to be their ticket to the major leagues, and every kid was going to become a major league player.

I suspect they stopped keeping score at some youth games because parents were taking it way too seriously. I've seen managers kick dirt at umpires in church rec leagues.

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 07, 2018, 03:53:19 AM
I'll bet some here have been to NCAA games that have been vacated after the fact because of the use of ineligible players or as part of other sanctions.
Side rant, that's an incredibly stupid rule. The NCAA has done an amazingly poor job of policing eligibility to begin with, but the school always knows about it. The players aren't cheating, it's the school that should be telling them not to play. So the penalty should not hurt the students who put in the work in the games. Same with other sanctions. You covered up a child molester? What does that have to do with playing sports? Nothing should be vacated unless there was actual cheating going on by the players or coaches. Eligibility should be fines and sanctions.
End to side rant: The nuclear option should not exist at all.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on June 08, 2018, 01:33:36 AM
Side rant, that's an incredibly stupid rule. The NCAA has done an amazingly poor job of policing eligibility to begin with, but the school always knows about it. The players aren't cheating, it's the school that should be telling them not to play. So the penalty should not hurt the students who put in the work in the games. Same with other sanctions. You covered up a child molester? What does that have to do with playing sports? Nothing should be vacated unless there was actual cheating going on by the players or coaches. Eligibility should be fines and sanctions.

Unless you're Rick Pitino. He knew nothing -- NOTHING -- about the hookers and strippers.

Meanwhile, when the NCAA states a player is academically eligible and tells the school he's OK to play, and then later forces the school to vacate victories because they later come back and say he actually wasn't eligible, something stinks. This happened to Memphis several years ago. Was the player Jalen Rose?

There's been a bit of controversy in Kentucky in past years concerning transfer students. There's a rule that a player has to sit out a year unless they transfer due to relocation -- i.e., a parent moves to another county or to another school boundary in a county that has multiple high schools. The reality is there are a lot of students who transfer and go to schools outside their assigned area. If the Kentucky High School Athletics Association rules the player ineligible, the parents will often go to court and at times the courts will issue an injunction making the player eligible. Despite that, the KHSAA will tell the school that if it allows the player to participate, the games will be forfeited. So the school has a choice to violate a court order or risk forfeiting victories and tournament revenue. I think the Kentucky legislature has addressed this but I don't follow high school sports as closely as I used to.

amroad17

^ I believe it was Derrick Rose.  Jalen Rose was part of the Fab Five at Michigan.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on June 09, 2018, 12:40:37 AM
^ I believe it was Derrick Rose.  Jalen Rose was part of the Fab Five at Michigan.

You're right about Jalen Rose. It was the first name that popped into my mind with the last name Rose.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2018, 03:42:11 PM

I played on city-sponsored teams until I was in high school, I think 9th or 10th grade was my final season. Coaches as I got older yelled and cussed at misplays, routinely violated playing time rules to keep the crapper kids from playing, and bristled whenever parents of benchwarmer kids started getting on their case about it. It sucked the fun out of things quickly.

This was bottom-of-the-rung ball. No tryouts, no cuts, just pay a fee and play.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

slorydn1

I've never attended or participated in a game that has been forfeited. Closest I can come to that is a MLB game (Royals at Yankees) where when we left Yankee Stadium we thought the game was over, only to find out it would actually need to be resumed at a later date-the Pine Tar game.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

english si

Some friends of mine growing up were in a rugby team that never lost a cup match from under-12s level to under-18s level (they may have lost a couple of league ones, though they didn't play many of those either). Teams just wouldn't bother showing up to play them, and thus forfeit. The last year they only actually played the final, and won the other 5 rounds by forfeit. The two before they played just 2 of the 6 games before lifting the trophy.

As such, they wouldn't even tell us about games until afterwards - and then only if they played. There's no point in getting people slightly hyped for a game that then doesn't happen!

And it's not as if the area isn't a rugby area, and while those guys were good, they weren't that good that it was not even worth trying.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Alps on June 08, 2018, 01:33:36 AM

I now like to show how silly is all of this by saying the 2013 March Madness wasn't played at all :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Buck87

Though of course, that's a lot different than forfeiting as it only applies to the record of the team that vacated the victory. The team that lost the game still keeps the loss on their record.

For example, in college football Ohio State's official record vs Arkansas is 0-0 while Arkansas's official record vs Ohio State is 0-1.

Only the idiotic NCAA would come up with a system that allows those two stats to exist at the same time. On a similar note "Michigan has lost to Ohio State 50 times, but Ohio State has only defeated Michigan 49 times" is perfectly accurate statement according to this convoluted system of vacating wins.

1995hoo

I was not there, and I don't follow the WNBA, but I see the league announced the Las Vegas Aces forfeited last Friday night's game against the Mystics. The Aces refused to show up for the game after flight delays (per news reports, the league doesn't allow charter flights).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.