News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

My trips around Michigan

Started by Flint1979, May 11, 2019, 06:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I have been wanting to get pictures of my travels in the state of Michigan. I will start out in the Tri-Cities and Flint area which is my part of the state.

Flint1979

Some pictures in Zilwaukee. A riverfront city on the Saginaw River just north of Saginaw. The bridge in the pictures is the Zilwaukee Bridge, part of both I-75 and US-23. This is the bridge that made Zilwaukee famous as a construction accident happened when the bridge was about halfway built, they had to bring in new contractors to finish the bridge and it took many more years than it was suppose to.

Flint1979

Few more pictures of the bridge.

Flint1979

Downtown Saginaw on Mother's Day 2019

Flint1979

Scenic overlook at a rest area on I-75 in northern Michigan.

Flint1979

The Mackinac Bridge from two different parks along US-2.

Flint1979

Flint1979

I've been trying to find this thread for awhile since I want to take more pictures and just found some time to find it. However I think this thread should be in the Photos, Videos and More section instead of Great Lakes and Ohio Valley since my focus is to take pictures around Michigan.

Flint1979

Flint1979

Two low clearance railroad viaducts in Vassar

Flint1979

I went up to Alcona County yesterday to get a picture for the other thread but also got some other pictures. I won't post the picture I got for the other thread until I post it in the other thread though.

Flint1979

A true Water Winter Wonderland. This picture was taken on Spencer Road west of M-52 north of St Charles.

NWI_Irish96

My single-day trips are focusing on Illinois right now, but I have a 3-day trip sketched out that hits Waterloo, Twin Cities, St. Cloud, Duluth, and then returns through Michigan, hitting all the counties in the UP I'm missing, the rest of 75 I'm missing (north of 96), the rest of 94 I'm missing (east of 696), and the two bridges to Canada I'm missing (Ste. St. Marie and Port Huron).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 13, 2023, 12:53:54 PM
My single-day trips are focusing on Illinois right now, but I have a 3-day trip sketched out that hits Waterloo, Twin Cities, St. Cloud, Duluth, and then returns through Michigan, hitting all the counties in the UP I'm missing, the rest of 75 I'm missing (north of 96), the rest of 94 I'm missing (east of 696), and the two bridges to Canada I'm missing (Ste. St. Marie and Port Huron).
Recently I have been focusing on just re-clinching every county in Michigan again. So far I'm at 21 which I started January 1st this year. For hitting all the counties in the U.P. if you're coming from Duluth once you come into Michigan take M-28 at it's western terminus then once you hit Ontonagon you can take US-45 north to M-26 to hit Houghton and Keweenaw. Unless you like the outdoors I wouldn't go too far into Keweenaw County since you'll just be turning around and coming back but when I hit that county I took US-41 all the way to the cul-de-sac at Mandan Road which is in the middle of nowhere and you'll find a lot of that in the U.P. with the towns spread quite a distance apart. I took M-26 back and it was longer but I enjoyed it more as it runs along Lake Superior. You can hit Baraga, Marquette, Dickinson and Iron counties by taking US-41 toward Marquette then M-95 south to M-69 west, then turn around after you enter Iron and stay on M-69 east until after you get into Menominee County which will take you up to US-2 west of Escanaba and at that point you'll be in Delta County. After that the U.P. gets easier as I found the western part harder to clinch as it took more time as the rest of the counties can be clinched by bouncing back and forth between M-28 and US-2.

You'll pass through my county when you hit Saginaw. I've always found Bay County to be the most boring county to travel through on I-75 in Michigan at least. Most of the exits just feature a gas station or two and that's about it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 13, 2023, 01:16:26 PM
Recently I have been focusing on just re-clinching every county in Michigan again. So far I'm at 21 which I started January 1st this year. For hitting all the counties in the U.P. if you're coming from Duluth once you come into Michigan take M-28 at it's western terminus then once you hit Ontonagon you can take US-45 north to M-26 to hit Houghton and Keweenaw. Unless you like the outdoors I wouldn't go too far into Keweenaw County since you'll just be turning around and coming back but when I hit that county I took US-41 all the way to the cul-de-sac at Mandan Road which is in the middle of nowhere and you'll find a lot of that in the U.P. with the towns spread quite a distance apart. I took M-26 back and it was longer but I enjoyed it more as it runs along Lake Superior. You can hit Baraga, Marquette, Dickinson and Iron counties by taking US-41 toward Marquette then M-95 south to M-69 west, then turn around after you enter Iron and stay on M-69 east until after you get into Menominee County which will take you up to US-2 west of Escanaba and at that point you'll be in Delta County. After that the U.P. gets easier as I found the western part harder to clinch as it took more time as the rest of the counties can be clinched by bouncing back and forth between M-28 and US-2.

You'll pass through my county when you hit Saginaw. I've always found Bay County to be the most boring county to travel through on I-75 in Michigan at least. Most of the exits just feature a gas station or two and that's about it.

I already have the counties that border Lake Michigan from a previous trip. I do want to get up to the northern end of US 41 but that is subject to not being off schedule up to that point. I'll still be missing most of the counties north of I-96 and east of I-75 so that will require another trio sometime in the future.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 13, 2023, 01:56:54 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 13, 2023, 01:16:26 PM

I already have the counties that border Lake Michigan from a previous trip. I do want to get up to the northern end of US 41 but that is subject to not being off schedule up to that point. I'll still be missing most of the counties north of I-96 and east of I-75 so that will require another trio sometime in the future.
That'll eliminate having to bounce back and forth between M-28 and US-2 so that helps. You'll probably be using M-28 a lot to cross the peninsula but that's ok. I kind of liked M-28 west of Marquette. I wish I had spent more time in the Keweenaw Peninsula I pretty much just wanted to get moving on after I got to the north end of US-41.

Flint1979

M-13 bridge at the Cass River south of Saginaw.

Flint1979

Starlite Coney Island. A Flint landmark since the 60's.

Flint1979

Flint's urban decay starts before you get into the city. This was taken from Starlite's parking lot across the street which is in Burton the house across the street which is on the other side of Center Road is in Flint.

Flint1979

Crossing the big bridge between the peninsulas.

Flint1979

Beautiful day crossing the Mac.

Flint1979

The Fisher Building in Detroit Home of radio station WJR.

Flint1979

Recent pictures. Macy's parking lot at Genesee Valley Mall and Midland County and Larkin Township sign.

Flint1979

Pictures by county:

Saginaw County
Cheboygan County
Mackinac County
Genesee County
Bay County
Tuscola County
Alcona County
Saginaw County
Saginaw County
Genesee County
Mackinac County
Wayne County
Genesee County
Midland County

Flint1979

Somewhat new Southern terminus for M-30 along Meridian Road on the Saginaw/Gratiot County line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.