News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2020 Road Trip Plans

Started by thspfc, July 21, 2019, 12:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

It's a little early, but what does everybody have planned for 2020?
A trip out west, probably to Colorado, in February or March seems likely but has not been set in stone yet. Otherwise, minor plans include a few trips around Wisconsin for miscellaneous reasons and Chicago in August. British Columbia and Texas were on the board at different times in the past, but both those trips will have to wait at least until 2021, if they ever happen.

D-Dey65

More than likely one or two trips to NYC, Long Island, and the surrounding region, but probably a butt-load of Florida day trips.

Max Rockatansky

Apparently Jalisco and Florida are on the board for family visits.  I'm doing a circle tour of Utah or Colorado...not sure which.  Might sneak in Michigan Circle Tour I'm thinking. 

ce929wax

Going to Charleston, SC for my first annual "escape from winter" trip in February.  After that, maybe a trip to Milwaukee or Cleveland to take in a ball game, but not anywhere too far from home base.

NWI_Irish96

Definitely still tentative at this point, but the only states outside of Alaska and Hawaii that I've yet to visit are RI, MA, NH, ME and VT, so next summer's family trip is scheduled to be from home to Boston via Providence, after a few days in Boston, on to Cooperstown via NH, ME and VT, then back home via Niagara Falls and Ontario.  None of the family other than me has been to Canada before, so the return trip through there is what's selling them on driving vs flying.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

nexus73

Regional exploration of the few routes still not taken will make up the 2020 plans for my friend and me. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

noelbotevera

Reviving this, since we're pretty close to 2020.

My plans involve me taking a long summer trip to the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Good weather, no tourists, and good food. The plan is to visit five places: Quebec City, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland, and St. Pierre & Miquelon.

So far, we want to basically try the best seafood that the provinces have to offer, especially PEI. I've also wanted to visit St. Pierre so I can say I've visited France. New stamp on the passport, essentially. At most, I've figured out the first two days: Chambersburg to Quebec City (day 1) then Quebec City to PEI or Nova Scotia (day 2; maybe reach Moncton, NB).

I'm not sure what's special about New Brunswick yet, so I haven't considered it yet.

ozarkman417

While this may not quite be a road-trip, I am planning on traveling to Europe to visit family. There, quite a bit of driving will be done (some on the Autobahn), starting in Munich, going to Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia) via way of Vienna & Graz.

I will finally have my license so I will be exploring my "own backyard", visiting nearby towns, parks, & highways I've not been to yet. It's hard to believe it's almost the end of the decade already.

TravelingBethelite

I am in college so my options are a bit limited, but regional exploration is likely on the docket. I like the sound of going south for a couple of days in January/February/March. May be able to sneak in something a little bigger this summer if I'm not doing anything else.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

ghYHZ

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 10, 2019, 07:25:34 PM
Reviving this, since we're pretty close to 2020.

My plans involve me taking a long summer trip to the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Good weather, no tourists, and good food. The plan is to visit five places: Quebec City, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland, and St. Pierre & Miquelon.

So far, we want to basically try the best seafood that the provinces have to offer, especially PEI. I've also wanted to visit St. Pierre so I can say I've visited France. New stamp on the passport, essentially. At most, I've figured out the first two days: Chambersburg to Quebec City (day 1) then Quebec City to PEI or Nova Scotia (day 2; maybe reach Moncton, NB).

I'm not sure what's special about New Brunswick yet, so I haven't considered it yet.

You definitely want to take in the Bay of Fundy and the Tides. Near Moncton are the Hopewell Rocks where you can walk on the seafloor.....watch the tide come in and where you had walked is now under 50 feet of water!

https://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/index.php/en/home

You should be able to drive car to St. Pierre next year as the new ferry dock and ramp will finally be constructed:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/fortune-ferry-deal-looming-1.5198550

https://www.spm-ferries.fr/en/home/

epzik8

I plan to take a day trip through Calvert and St. Mary's counties in Maryland in January.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

thspfc

I'm going to DC in the early spring. Kind of disappointed that I'm not going out west, but this is the next best thing. Here's the link to the thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25974.0

Max Rockatansky

I'm looking at possibly going to Redwood National Park this January.  The coast line gets rain in the winter a snow is rare which makes it an attractive winter locale.   I told my wife I want to get at least; Lassen Volcanic, Crater Lake, Great Basin and Bryce Canyon this year.  Really I'm looking at making long weekends out of them all.  On the longer side we are going to Jalisco for a week and visiting either Florida or Michigan...hopefully the latter in summer Upper Peninsula oriented (I'm bored with Florida).  At least plans are solidifying more since the last post which actually itineraries booked. 

1995hoo

2020 is totally unsettled right now. It looks like we will have to take a trip to Dayton and we really wish it weren't necessary–the reason is that my sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and is not likely to survive, and her cremains will be interred in Dayton per her wishes because that's where she grew up and it's where her parents are buried. (We have a trip to Florida planned for the week after Thanksgiving–flying down due to the urgency–to try to see her before it's too late. Hopefully she hangs on.) I'll take the opportunity to use some routes that let me nip off some segments I haven't driven yet, such as the new US-219 near Somerset and the tunnel in Wheeling, but I have to admit I feel kind of guilty thinking of roadgeek routings in the context of a family member dying.

Other than that, we want to go to the Inn at Little Washington for our 10th anniversary in July, but I can't think of any new routing to use to get there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

21stCenturyRoad

I have nothing set in stone, but might want to go west to Arizona and California in May/June.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on November 22, 2019, 08:59:08 PM
I have nothing set in stone, but might want to go west to Arizona and California in May/June.

If you're looking for a Trans-Sierra Highway like Tioga Pass late May probably will be a good bet. 

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I’m looking at possibly going to Redwood National Park this January.  The coast line gets rain in the winter a snow is rare which makes it an attractive winter locale.   I told my wife I want to get at least; Lassen Volcanic, Crater Lake, Great Basin and Bryce Canyon this year.  Really I’m looking at making long weekends out of them all.  On the longer side we are going to Jalisco for a week and visiting either Florida or Michigan...hopefully the latter in summer Upper Peninsula oriented (I’m bored with Florida).  At least plans are solidifying more since the last post which actually itineraries booked.

I'd recommend against doing Great Basin anytime before July or even August depending on how wet the previous winter was. I did Great Basin in the second half of this past June (after a heavy winter), and anything above roughly 9,000 feet was still covered in snow. The scenic road wasn't open all the way to the top yet, and I very nearly got completely lost on one hike - turns out the wind blows the late-season snowpack into shapes that look very much like footprints.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2019, 02:16:55 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I'm looking at possibly going to Redwood National Park this January.  The coast line gets rain in the winter a snow is rare which makes it an attractive winter locale.   I told my wife I want to get at least; Lassen Volcanic, Crater Lake, Great Basin and Bryce Canyon this year.  Really I'm looking at making long weekends out of them all.  On the longer side we are going to Jalisco for a week and visiting either Florida or Michigan...hopefully the latter in summer Upper Peninsula oriented (I'm bored with Florida).  At least plans are solidifying more since the last post which actually itineraries booked.

I'd recommend against doing Great Basin anytime before July or even August depending on how wet the previous winter was. I did Great Basin in the second half of this past June (after a heavy winter), and anything above roughly 9,000 feet was still covered in snow. The scenic road wasn't open all the way to the top yet, and I very nearly got completely lost on one hike - turns out the wind blows the late-season snowpack into shapes that look very much like footprints.

Back in 2013 I ended up going to the Lehman Caves and started from Cedar City in the morning.  It was a clear day but it hit -16F near the state line on UT 21.  Much of Eastern Nevada and and pretty much everything East to Capitol Gorge looked like it was a tundra of straight out of a scene from Hoth in the Empire Strikes Back.  It ended up being just me and some guy from Alaska that did the cave tour, the caves felt pretty damn balmy at their 50-55F temperature. 

D-Dey65

My Florida day trips will hopefully include the Palatka-St. Augustine area, and the northern suburbs of Jacksonville, and in the opposite direction I've considered some St. Pete and Manatee County stuff... mostly so I could get the southbound rest area along the Sunshine Skyway the northbound toll plaza along the Sunshine Skyway, and US 19 between I-275 and US 41.

Paulinator66

On September 1st, 2020 my wife and I will finally BOTH be retired and we were planning a sightseeing trip out west.  While we have traveled a lot, it was mostly by air so I have never seen the stuff in the middle of the country; Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc.  We live in central IL so I imagine a westward trip on I-90 will suffice but it seems odd to just turn around and come straight home using the same path.  We could return using I-80, or even I-70, but there doesn't seem to be much to offer on those paths so we're still planning.

MikeTheActuary

I have two roadtrips on the horizon in 2020

Early in the year (dates TBD based on work and weather), I'll be driving Hartford»Memphis»Dothan AL»Hartford, in lieu of flying to Memphis to check in with my father, and flying my wife home from an extended stay with her folks.  It'll be long, hard driving with limited sightseeing/roadgeeking potential, although I might see if I can squeeze in a little bit of time on the Memphis»Dothan leg to FINALLY get the two counties in Alabama that I haven't yet visited.

Later in the year, there are a couple of options:

The actuaries at my company get together at a big conference every-other year.   Details for the conference next summer haven't yet been publicized, but I'm told it will be "someplace nice" and "generally in the GTA".  Depending on scheduling and whether my wife wants to tag along, I will probably drive to the conference, and I may take "the roads less traveled" at least one way.

Or....a group of us who pursue the ham radio sub-hobby of contesting are talking about maybe going up to Sept-ÃŽles in October, and doing a major contest from there.

Or, if neither of those pan out, it'll be a coin-toss between:

• Driving QC138 out to Kegashka.  I'd look into taking the ferry on to be able to clinch 138, but I doubt my calendar will permit that.  (I drove to La Malbaie for the work conference in 2018.  Loved the scenery, and was tempted to blow off the conference to see what was further east.)

• Fly to Denver, and drive a loop CO»WY»SD»ND»MT»ID»OR»...and back to Denver.   It's been a long time since I did a big county-collecting run, and that loop would include visits to 6 states I haven't previously visited

kphoger

Quote from: Paulinator66 on December 19, 2019, 04:00:35 PM
We could return using I-80, or even I-70, but there doesn't seem to be much to offer on those paths so we're still planning.

Along I-80 in Nebraska:

Cody Park Railroad Museum, North Platte
Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, Ashland
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ftballfan

As of now, my dad and I are planning on driving from Michigan to Florida in March

oscar

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 10, 2019, 07:25:34 PM

Nothing other than it's on the way to and from the more interesting Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. I've taken several trips to PEI and NS, one of them in October. I just drove through NB as fast as I could (fortunately, usually at 110km/h speed limits).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

New Brunswick has the Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park, the latter being home to UNESCO sites.  If you just blew through New Brunswick, you did it wrong.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.