News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-569 coming to Kentucky

Started by hbelkins, December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 05, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
does kentucky really need any more interstates?  i feel like all the new proposals for interstates are based on slim reasons through states that can barely afford to take care of what they already have.
Kentucky's interstate highway proposals are simply overlaying the existing parkways which are designed to interstate standards. They are fully controlled access freeways that carry 70 mph speed limits, have 12 foot lanes, 10 foot shoulders, and divided by a 35 foot median. The only modifications that are needed are at select interchanges, which need improvements regardless of an interstate designation.

alabama is too busy wasting all their money on that useless birmingham bypass at the moment.
Alabama has put very little money into that loop... enough for an interchange and grading of a 2 mile stretch of the mainline.

jnewkirk77

does kentucky really need any more interstates?  i feel like all the new proposals for interstates are based on slim reasons through states that can barely afford to take care of what they already have. i-14 is a big version of this, no one seriously believes this interstate is needed, in texas barely, in miss? louisiana? alabama? hell no. alabama is too busy wasting all their money on that useless birmingham bypass at the moment.

Need? I think you could argue need. Want, on the other hand, well, everyone "wants" to be on or near an Interstate, especially cities whose names start and end with O and rhyme with Nowensboro.

I think the WKP should be a southwestern extension of I-71, and truthfully, I'd replace the proposed I-169 with 71 as well. It makes sense on a map. Not much else really does.

hbelkins

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on January 05, 2020, 06:23:28 PM
I think the WKP should be a southwestern extension of I-71, and truthfully, I'd replace the proposed I-169 with 71 as well. It makes sense on a map. Not much else really does.

Except if they did that, they'd have to reconstruct the WK/Pennyrile interchange (again) to provide a through, high-speed connection for I-71, the way they did with I-24 and the Purchase. If two interstates (I-169/Pennyrile and I-569/WK) are terminating at I-69, then what's there now is fine.

Actually, I thought both cloverleafs were fine as they were for the I-69 extension, but apparently FHWA or KYTC, or both, thought differently.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sturmde

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2020, 07:14:49 PM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on January 05, 2020, 06:23:28 PM

Except if they did that, they'd have to reconstruct the WK/Pennyrile interchange (again) to provide a through, high-speed connection for I-71, the way they did with I-24 and the Purchase. If two interstates (I-169/Pennyrile and I-569/WK) are terminating at I-69, then what's there now is fine.

Actually, I thought both cloverleafs were fine as they were for the I-69 extension, but apparently FHWA or KYTC, or both, thought differently.

The extension of I-71 from Louisville south on I-65 and then taking over the WK makes a lot of sense, indeed.  And makes most sense to end at that intersection with I-69, rather than running down I-169.  Mitch McConnell could have fun if he had I-71 designated as an addition to the NAFTA highway connecting Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland (and taking I-90 to Buffalo and I-190 to Niagara Falls for a true NAFTA addition).  Why not.

Then I-71 could "arise again" in Texas and take over I-69E.  I-69C can drop the C, and I-69W can become I-67... Consecutive odd numbers that way makes for much better signage.

sparker

Quote from: sturmde on January 16, 2020, 11:34:30 PM
Then I-71 could "arise again" in Texas and take over I-69E.  I-69C can drop the C, and I-69W can become I-67... Consecutive odd numbers that way makes for much better signage.

Since both the main TX-based backers and TxDOT have long signed on to the suffixed-69 idiom, the chances of the above ever happening are slim and none -- and slim's left the building!   The above plan is actually a halfway decent idea -- but with no chance of advancing beyond a fictional notion.   

sturmde

Quote from: sparker on January 17, 2020, 04:16:25 AM

Since both the main TX-based backers and TxDOT have long signed on to the suffixed-69 idiom, the chances of the above ever happening are slim and none -- and slim's left the building!   The above plan is actually a halfway decent idea -- but with no chance of advancing beyond a fictional notion.

Yes, very true about Texas.  However, 2-digit numbers carry a really higher status.  Perhaps some federal funding thrown their way would encourage them.  I suspect that is what it would take.  Perhaps extra funding to extend I-14 east to I-69, even.  That could also encourage Kentucky to extend the numbering of I-71.

sparker

Quote from: sturmde on January 23, 2020, 09:42:34 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 17, 2020, 04:16:25 AM

Yes, very true about Texas.  However, 2-digit numbers carry a really higher status.  Perhaps some federal funding thrown their way would encourage them.  I suspect that is what it would take.  Perhaps extra funding to extend I-14 east to I-69, even.  That could also encourage Kentucky to extend the numbering of I-71.

It's not likely that the current "Triangle" plans for I-14 will include an eastern extension past I-45 to I-69 for one simple reason:  Lake Livingston, and the additional mileage and subsequent expense it would take to bypass it.   The only thing that would prompt the expenditure for such a project would be a commitment by LA to build their portion of the corridor to at least Alexandria/I-49 -- and such certainly has not been forthcoming as of yet.  But getting back to the KY issue:  IMO the I-569 designation was short-sighted (possibly McConnell can't seem to give his undivided attention to in-state stuff right now! :cool:); extending I-71 down I-65 and then over the WKY to I-69 seems to be the most useful concept given that no one is seriously considering extending the Bluegrass.    Let's hope someone sees the light before anything becomes written in stone (we've all seen how that worked out in TX!)

WKDAVE

Extending I-71 down the WK is a great idea. The biggest problem is the continuity issue of WK East to 65 North. You can't have people "exit" to stay on interstate which would currently be required and there isn't enough space in that congested area to do a flyover ramp and the geometry of the WK from the 31W Bypass to 65 is strange. It would also make Spaghetti Junction an even bigger sign cluster in Louisville.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: WKDAVE on January 24, 2020, 10:01:06 AM
Extending I-71 down the WK is a great idea. The biggest problem is the continuity issue of WK East to 65 North. You can't have people "exit" to stay on interstate which would currently be required and there isn't enough space in that congested area to do a flyover ramp and the geometry of the WK from the 31W Bypass to 65 is strange. It would also make Spaghetti Junction an even bigger sign cluster in Louisville.
For Louisville, I would change I-71's route to switch over to I-264 and then meet I-65 at Exit 131.  I-264 could then complete the loop on I-71's old road.  The way that the split is made back at that intersection, it would look natural.  Of course you might have to do some revision at 264/65.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 24, 2020, 01:31:34 PM
For Louisville, I would change I-71's route to switch over to I-264 and then meet I-65 at Exit 131.  I-264 could then complete the loop on I-71's old road.  The way that the split is made back at that intersection, it would look natural.  Of course you might have to do some revision at 264/65.
Also would have to Christen a new 3DI for the orphaned bit of I-71 going to Downtown Louisville...but there are plenty of x64s, x65s, and x71s available...I would probably go with I-171, personally

tidecat

Given the outer-outer bypass for Louisville is still under consideration, I wonder if I-71 would likely get thrown on that. I-171 would replace the orphaned part of I-71. Or we could go with a total heel move and make it I-66.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

jnewkirk77

Anything's possible with the will and $$$ to get it done.  And since KYTC was able to get the OK to convert the Natcher to 165 before rebuilding the old toll booth interchanges, surely they could get an I-71 designation done without converting the E-town interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.