News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-5 Skagit River Bridge closed

Started by kkt, December 09, 2020, 01:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

QuoteMOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Both directions of Interstate 5 are closed at the Skagit River Bridge after a semi-truck struck a barrier Wednesday morning.

The crash happened before 5:00 a.m. A few hours later, the Washington State Department of Transportation said to expect a "long term closure" of the Skagit River Bridge.

Inspectors from Olympia were being sent to evaluate the bridge after a semi-truck hit a barrier and broke its front axel.

No other vehicles were involved, troopers said.

-https://www.q13fox.com/news/i-5-closed-in-both-directions-at-skagit-river-bridge-after-semi-strikes-barrier

Yes, this is the same bridge that was knocked down in 2013 when an oversized vehicle struck part of the truss.  A detour is posted.

kkt

And they now report the bridge has been inspected and reopened.

jakeroot

Glad this didn't turn into a massive debacle. Oh and that nothing fell into the water, of course.

CtrlAltDel

Here's a picture of some of the damage. There are also some scrapes on the concrete barrier further ahead.

I'm no expert of course, but the warning for a "long-term closure" seems like it might have been excessive.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kkt

Yes, when they say "long term," I am thinking weeks, months, or years, not a few hours for the engineer from Olympia to get there.

Bickendan

WSDOT must have facepalmed hard when the collision happened.

mrsman

Quote from: kkt on December 09, 2020, 01:52:52 PM
QuoteMOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Both directions of Interstate 5 are closed at the Skagit River Bridge after a semi-truck struck a barrier Wednesday morning.

The crash happened before 5:00 a.m. A few hours later, the Washington State Department of Transportation said to expect a "long term closure" of the Skagit River Bridge.

Inspectors from Olympia were being sent to evaluate the bridge after a semi-truck hit a barrier and broke its front axel.

No other vehicles were involved, troopers said.

-https://www.q13fox.com/news/i-5-closed-in-both-directions-at-skagit-river-bridge-after-semi-strikes-barrier

Yes, this is the same bridge that was knocked down in 2013 when an oversized vehicle struck part of the truss.  A detour is posted.

When I first saw the headline, I assumed it was a necropost.  Thanks for the clarfication!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.