News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Really?  I figured categories like Hiking Trails or Surfing Spots or Mountain Biking Trails would be influence more by area than by population size.  Perhaps I'm mistaken there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2022, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 27, 2022, 02:51:45 PM
Well, if adventure is your idea of "fun", then Illinois ranks wa-a-a-a-ay below Wisconsin and Michigan.  That's a proven fact.

The Adventure Index:

#7 – Wisconsin
#8 – Michigan
#13 – Missouri
#20 – Ohio
#24 – Minnesota
#25 – Illinois
#33 – Indiana
#34 – Iowa

https://outforia.com/2021-adventure-index/

That list is biased toward larger states – just makes Illinois even worse when adjusted.

Wallethub had adventure and everything already factored into it's calculations.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 03:57:50 PM
Well, if adventure is your idea of "fun", then Illinois ranks wa-a-a-a-ay below Wisconsin and Michigan.  That's a proven fact.

The Adventure Index:

#7 – Wisconsin
#8 – Michigan
#13 – Missouri
#20 – Ohio
#24 – Minnesota
#25 – Illinois
#33 – Indiana
#34 – Iowa

That list is biased toward larger states – just makes Illinois even worse when adjusted.

Wallethub = the one and true religion

Wut?

GaryV

I guess that explains why Alaska is 2 spots lower than even Illinois.

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2022, 03:12:44 PM
The top 11 states are all more populous than the bottom 17 states.
Illinois is more populous than all but 5 of the states higher than it in the rankings.

I don't think you can say that Illinois was prejudiced against by either population or area.

hotdogPi

Quote from: GaryV on May 27, 2022, 04:08:32 PM
I guess that explains why Alaska is 2 spots lower than even Illinois.

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2022, 03:12:44 PM
The top 11 states are all more populous than the bottom 17 states.
Illinois is more populous than all but 5 of the states higher than it in the rankings.

I don't think you can say that Illinois was prejudiced against by either population or area.

I'm not saying Illinois is ranked too low. I'm saying it's ranked too high and should be in the bottom half.

Also, there are only five states in the country that are more populous than Illinois. It would be impossible to have six larger states higher in the rankings no matter what those rankings are.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 27, 2022, 04:01:16 PM

The Adventure Index:

#7 – Wisconsin
#8 – Michigan
#13 – Missouri
#20 – Ohio
#24 – Minnesota
#25 – Illinois
#33 – Indiana
#34 – Iowa

Wallethub = the one and true religion

Wut?

All hail Wallethub!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

The Adventure Index:

#7 – Wisconsin
#8 – Michigan
#13 – Missouri
#20 – Ohio
#24 – Minnesota
#25 – Illinois
#33 – Indiana
#34 – Iowa

I said it's a proven fact.  So stop trying to argue it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 11:37:16 AM
Quote from: thspfc on May 27, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
Whatever boating/fishing/watersports/camping/lakeside retreat options that are available in Illinois are outdone 20x each by Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. That's not up for debate.

Now if that were true then those states would've been ranked higher than Illinois in the wallethub rankings I posted.. specifically in the entertainment and recreation categories. There's no shortage of either of those options here plus with better food to boot.
I find it flat out ridiculous that you think wallethub is the determining factor on this. It is true, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota do outdo Illinois 20x each. Who cares what wallethub says? You are going to base your opinion on the internet? Really?

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 27, 2022, 11:09:45 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 27, 2022, 10:23:15 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 27, 2022, 08:01:19 AM
Having a fully urbanized shore of Lake Michigan sure doesn't help sway the argument that Illinois is more scenic than the other Great Lake states.  What good is Lake Michigan for scenic value if you have to go to the Indiana Dunes or someone's family cabin in Michigan to enjoy it?

I enjoy the scenery of the downtown Chicago beaches, actually–especially Ohio Street, Oak Street, and North Avenue.  But they're a very different experience compared to the Indiana Dunes.

I don't think there's such a thing as lakeside cabins on Lake Michigan in Illinois.  But Indiana and Michigan have a long history of both vacation houses and mansions on the shore of Lake Michigan.  My father's family, after my great-grandfather immigrated from Germany, comes from Chicago.  I have a granduncle on that side who invented dual master brake cylinders and, when he sold his invention to ... um, whichever company that was, I don't remember offhand ... the money allowed him to have a huge lakeside house on the Michigan side.  My dad has early childhood memories of going there and playing with his cousins and brothers, but he didn't appreciate at the time what it must have cost to own such a property.  All that is to say that the Michigan side has been "the place to be" for decades and decades.  Illinois just doesn't have that.

The lakes in southern Illinois are great for boating and fishing, but there's not a wealth of vacation cabins.  However, take a look at Lake of Egypt for an example of one that does.  It's a different type of lake experience than the Great Lakes, but it's worth looking at.  Boating and fishing aren't really my thing, but I know that appeals to a lot of other people.

There definitely aren't any cabins along Lake Michigan in Illinois. But Wisconsin definitely has some nice properties along the lake, even south of Milwaukee. And of course, once you're north of Milwaukee there is a lot.

I definitely see a possibility for some Airbnbs to spring up along the IL shore of Lake Michigan. For example the City of Waukegan unveiled a plan about 2003ish for some luxury condos along the lakefront. Actually living there trumps vacationing. Chicago already provides such a commodity. I also see the possible of cabins being built within Illinois Beach State Park since the resort there has closed down in 2019. There's a plan in place to revitalize that park back to it's former glory.
Just wow.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 27, 2022, 05:10:52 PM
Whatever boating/fishing/watersports/camping/lakeside retreat options that are available in Illinois are outdone 20x each by Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. That's not up for debate.

Now if that were true then those states would've been ranked higher than Illinois in the wallethub rankings I posted.. specifically in the entertainment and recreation categories. There's no shortage of either of those options here plus with better food to boot.
I find it flat out ridiculous that you think wallethub is the determining factor on this. It is true, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota do outdo Illinois 20x each. Who cares what wallethub says? You are going to base your opinion on the internet? Really?

Wallethub is the new religion, proven fact. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 27, 2022, 05:22:33 PM

I doubt he'd be obsessing over it if it ranked Illinois near the bottom in everything.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 27, 2022, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 27, 2022, 05:22:33 PM

I doubt he'd be obsessing over it if it ranked Illinois near the bottom in everything.

None of that matters, proven fact. 

hotdogPi

I think I can tell with one simple rule which states Crash_It likes and which ones he doesn't (note he likes Minnesota). However, there are two slight variations of the rule. There are two states that differ between the two rules: New Hampshire and Virginia. Crash_It, what are your opinions on those two states?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on May 27, 2022, 07:18:48 PM
I think I can tell with one simple rule which states Crash_It likes and which ones he doesn't (note he likes Minnesota). However, there are two slight variations of the rule. There are two states that differ between the two rules: New Hampshire and Virginia. Crash_It, what are your opinions on those two states?

Oh, are we playing Eleusis now?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Crash_It

Wallethub still ranks them below IL but I don't have a problem with them. NH I'd imagine would have nice architect as does most of the Northeast and New England which is actually what the architecture in IL is based on.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 10:11:26 PM

Wallethub still ranks them below IL but I don't have a problem with them. NH I'd imagine would have nice architect as does most of the Northeast and New England which is actually what the architecture in IL is based on.

Care to leave an opinion?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31553.0

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 27, 2022, 10:11:26 PM

Also let's see your proof that the architecture in Illinois is based on New England.

hotdogPi

As for that one simple rule about which states Crash_It likes:
Yes – Illinois and Minnesota, all of New England, Virginia.
No – All of the Midwest except for the two states mentioned above.

This matches this map:
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

TheHighwayMan3561

Better food, but I don't think you understand that "no shortage" does not mean "better" - MN/WI/MI still have many more, and vastly superior outdoors options, and as said above, Illinois has no place to argue with that at all.

Or, in plain English, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan's outdoors are all better than Illinois, proven fact, and it's not even close.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 28, 2022, 09:52:26 PM

Better food, but I don't think you understand that "no shortage" does not mean "better" - MN/WI/MI still have many more, and vastly superior outdoors options, and as said above, Illinois has no place to argue with that at all.

Or, in plain English, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan's outdoors are all better than Illinois, proven fact, and it's not even close.

But Wallethub said.  How can Wallethub be wrong when it is literally the word of God?

US 89

I haven't opened this thread in a couple of weeks. So this is why that Wallethub thread is a thing. What the hell did I just read.

Max Rockatansky

Basically Wallethub is the new religion, proven fact.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2022, 10:11:02 AM
This matches this map:

He doesn't believe in Alaska and Hawaii?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Does Wallethub say Alaska and Hawaii are real? 

Flint1979

How in the hell is wallethub a source for outdoor life? Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota are three states that are well known for outdoor life. Lots of lakes, summer vacations, hunting in all three states, cottages dotting the landscape. Up North Michigan is a thing and well known in the Great Lakes region. Ever hear of Traverse City, Houghton Lake, Holland, Ludington, Manistee, Torch Lake, Petoskey? Those areas blow anything Illinois has to offer away. You won't come close to touching the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Illinois. In fact if Illinois has more to offer for outdoor life and has their own beaches then how come Warren Dunes is constantly flooded by people from Illinois?

Also our state borders four Great Lakes, Illinois only borders one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.